GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,214
3 members and 1,211 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-16-2018, 09:17 PM

You're right, it is stupid. You have only dealt with one chapter of one sorority at one school. You might go thru rush at your new school, get DDD again, and have a perfect fit. Or you might fit in another sorority. At any rate, make sure you can afford whatever you get into. Hopefully the reduced tuition will alleviate that issue.

I’m not sure what sort of “aftermath” you are referring to, but if you were told that you are no longer part of the DDD chapter at your current school, it’s nothing personal, it’s just the letter of the law, as it were. Once you terminate your pledgeship or initiated membership, it is indeed as if you never existed in the sorority. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh or cold to you but it’s the truth. Especially nowadays when risk management is such an issue. You can’t be a guest at mixers or functions.

Were you clear with ALL the members about the fact that you’re transferring due to financial reasons, and wouldn’t be there next semester even if you did initiate?

Last edited by 33girl; 10-17-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Regina, one of my chapter sisters pledged XYZ at a uni, but didn't like that school. She transferred to where I went and introduced herself. This was when you had to wait for grades a.k.a. the next semester to get initiated. The XYZs there acted like they couldn't care less. My friend is beautiful, friendly and the package. She had a class with one of my sisters and invited her out. Where you fit on one campus may not be the same elsewhere. I'm still puzzled that they ignored her.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I wouldn't bring it up that you pledged DDD. The sororities might think you might quit again.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Anybody looking at your Facebook page (and they WILL check it out) will see you in DDD regalia, so you should explain it on your registration info.
She could just untag herself from all the social media photos she is tagged in that feature DDD's events or the DDD PC and take down any that she uploaded herself. Easy peasy.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 10-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaphalangee View Post
Just dropped my sorority an hour ago due to financial reasons. I’m super sad about it because I’ve really grown to love greek life, and our PC was getting initiated this coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginaphalangee View Post
You do not have to tell me twice. After the treatment I have received from these girls, I want absolutely NOTHING to do with tri delta, or greek life. I am extremely discouraged to even rush again at my new school.
Was anybody else puzzled by the contrasting quotes--the love, then the hate for her sorority and Greek life?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 AM

No, not puzzled at all. The posts were a week apart. She probably didn’t get a good reaction to her dropping for whatever reason, which is why I always say to make sure to explain your actions to the WHOLE group in situations like this. Don’t trust that the president or advisor or whoever is going to do it adequately for you.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Was anybody else puzzled by the contrasting quotes--the love, then the hate for her sorority and Greek life?
OP (and a lot of other people who do drop/disaffiliate) likely have unrealistic expectations about how things are going to go after disaffiliation. It seems to me that many who disaffiliate expect to be able to do so without affecting any of the relationships that were formed while they were a member of their GLO. In effect, they want to continue to reap (at least some of) the benefits they had while a member of the GLO, and are then surprised when their disaffiliation leads to changes in some relationships with their former sisters.

Disaffiliation is, in a way, like breaking up with your sisters/brothers. You're removing yourself from part of the shared commonality that initially brought you together, and of course that's going to change your relationship with them, especially if they are still members of the GLO. If the GLO was the only tie binding you to someone, it is reasonable to expect that friendship may end if you sever that tie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating or shunning of former members or for necessarily having to give up any friendships. At the same time, you cannot expect to be treated like a sister/brother if you no longer are.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 10-28-2018, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, not puzzled at all. The posts were a week apart. She probably didn’t get a good reaction to her dropping for whatever reason, which is why I always say to make sure to explain your actions to the WHOLE group in situations like this. Don’t trust that the president or advisor or whoever is going to do it adequately for you.
Not puzzled, but taking it in stride as just another example of how a young person can so quickly change a mindset (or actually be a troll, looking to keep a thread going).
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha O View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating or shunning of former members or for necessarily having to give up any friendships. At the same time, you cannot expect to be treated like a sister/brother if you no longer are.

I agree and, not to split hairs, but she wasn't an initiated sister to start with. I'm sorry that things went a bit sour. I hope she finds a great group of friends at her next campus.

True and Constant