GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,144
2 members and 2,142 guests
Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 01-18-2016, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Precheck of Ritual by administration?

Has anyone heard of a situation where the administration/Student Life director require that the ritual of a group be checked by someone prior to the group being able to chartering the group on campus?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I would certainly hope not...

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 01-19-2016, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

No and any NPC group would not go along so far as the "secret" parts goes. I would think that any public part would be OK to give them.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

If it's a public school, they do not have the power to do this, no matter how well-intentioned they may be.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Our Greek Life advisor tried to get us to give her a copy of our pledge program. I am pretty sure we told her to go shit in her hat since APhiO is not a social Greek organization.

I'll say that a school that does this is not a school where APhiO needs to be.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

We're fortunate enough to be a well-established national fraternity, by virtue of which, we have several brothers in the university faculty. If your organization is similar to mine int hat respect, it occurs to me that there is a nice middle ground between "go shit in a hat" and "here's our ritual," i.e., offer to invite that member of the faculty to your ritual so that they will be in a position to report anything inconsistent with the Student Code of Conduct. That might especially be a good middle ground if the school you are at is not a public school in that private schools aren't so bound by students' constitutional rights.

Emotionally, my response is the same as 33's--this is no business of the school, you are all consenting adults, they should not be sticking their nose in your business. If, however, you feel so inclined to cooperate, the above might be a more palatable option. This is also something you should involve someone from either your group's advisory board in or if you don't have one of those, contact your national HQ.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend who was the pledge director of her local sorority at Hope College, which only has local fraternities and sororities...and they're very old/well-established. She has told me that their pledge program and ritual had to be submitted and approved the year she was serving in that role, after the administration established stricter guidelines to prevent hazing. She said it was a lot of work to revise everything. I thought it was overstepping, but she didn't seem to think they were out of line in doing this. That's the only time I've ever heard of anything along these lines -- private school, local groups, so I don't think they had a lot of power to say no. However, I don't know how enforceable it was, or how the administration would know if what was approved was actually what happened behind closed doors.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Our Greek Life advisor tried to get us to give her a copy of our pledge program. I am pretty sure we told her to go shit in her hat since APhiO is not a social Greek organization.

I'll say that a school that does this is not a school where APhiO needs to be.
I'm not sure that GSIHH is the best way to phrase it. Depends on how things are in the Student Life heirarchy. How much Alpha Phi Omega has to give the Greek Life office the time of day *really* varies from school to school. I've seen some (especially at the HBCUs) where the Greek Life office is the one that governs Alpha Phi Omega on campus. (One Council for the NPHC, another Council for the "others" APO, GSS, KKY, TBS, etc, both under the Greek Life office.

Also, there is a *lot* of difference to me between asking for the pledge program which I would give the Student Activities Director and the ritual...