GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,812
3 members and 1,809 guests
speedsters
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

SoTrue1920 and Soror TRSimon,

I believe that I was answering Soror TRSimon's original question about providing nalia that represented the diversity of our non- African American sorors and frat brothers. I agree with your comments that we should provide information (brochures, pamphlets, and newsletters) that reflect our non-A A sorors and brothers and by the way chapters of Sigma Gamma Rho on the Northeast region already does this. I also agree with your original comments about companies providing cosmetic products that reflect our culture, however, we are not talking only about providing consumer goods. We are talking about preserving the rich histories of the Divine 9 organization. And I'm still standing by my original post that it's great to be inclusive, however, don't compromise my organization just to make someone feel better about joining it. They know up front that Sigma Gamma Rho, Zeta Phi Beta or the others are
historically African American sororities. I'm not being zenophobic (fearful of foreigners or strangers) or even ethnocentric (believing that my culture or race is better than another) I just want to maintain the rich history of my sorority.

Serioussigma
Old 01-10-2002, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, soror.

I just wanted everybody to understand that I wasn't asking whether the founders should be changed or anything okey doke like that. I don't agree with it, but I respect your opinion, Soror Serioussigma. It seems to reflect the majority of the views on this thread.

TRSimon
Old 08-15-2017, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAMPION View Post
[B] i dont think the para should reflect the faces of non AA because the BGLO (key letter being B) were not created for non AA
AGREED
Old 08-15-2017, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTrue1920 View Post
I think when you're in a majority situation, it's very easy to overlook how a little representation can go a long way toward making a person feel welcome in any situation, be it as a member of a sorority, or a valued customer.

Long story short - I live in a city where Black people are less than 1% of the population. As a result, finding cosmetics that are suitable for darker skins has been a challenge. I sent letters of complaint to the managers of several stores where I shop, and one of the stores went a LONG way toward not only carrying ethnic makeup, but ethnic hair care products- something I'd never even asked for.

Seeing yourself reflected among the majority is a very affirming feeling. You go from feeling completely invisible (and unwelcome) to feeling like you exist, you're welcome, and you're a valuable part of the community. Think of how important Sigma Gamma Rho must have been to the seven sisters at Butler University. They started something that would make them feel at home in unfamiliar territory. I don't think it's that far a leap to suggest that including some representation of the increasing diversity in all of our organizations would have a similar beneficial outcome. I don't think anyone has suggested that Sigma Gamma Rho (or Zeta Phi Beta, for that matter) completely divorce themselves from their history, but what purpose does it serve for us to be as xenophobic as the larger society?

That's a good point, bit it's just not the same.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishaelle View Post
That's a good point, bit it's just not the same.
Why are you arguing in threads that died 15 YEARS ago???
Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Why are you arguing in threads that died 15 YEARS ago???
Where do you see arguing? Who cares when it was, are you not still commenting as well? 🤔
Closed Thread