GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,331
1 members and 2,330 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Measi Send a message via Yahoo to Measi
Thanks for bumping this, because it's honestly an important topic for those of us who aren't members yet and haven't been able to locate a chapter.

This topic came up on Rosies, but I think it's important to discuss here as well.

I live in a town where I know *nobody* outside my specific group of friends, who live in the surrounding towns. I have talked about it with the girls who are in this circle of friends. None have been interested in joining or being a founding member of an organization-- they don't see the point of it.

There is no community center or local newpaper for me to post "interested?" messages, outside of the library, which has said no to all postings that don't relate to "need lawncare/babysitting/painting/etc." postings.

And like Ginger mentioned, I'm honestly a bit frightened at the concept of asking people at work, etc. Some are pretty scary, and I don't really feel it's appropriate in a professional setting for some reason.

Friendly Venturing, when I haven't been initiated and don't understand the workings of the organization, is a beyond daunting concept for me.

What about some of you guys?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2004, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I bumped it because it's something I'm struggling with right now. I've run out of ides on ways to contact potential members, and I'm starting to get a little discouraged. The only thing that comes to mind that I haven't tried is flyering the campus.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It is intimidating, and Friendly Venturing certainly isn't the "easy way" into the organization. It's the hard, go-out-on-a-limb, potentially-look-like-a-loon-in-front-of-your-friends-or-strangers way to join Beta Sigma Phi. But it is also a great opportunity.

I honestly lucked out when I did my first Friendly Venture. I contacted a former student of mine. She was interested, and she brought her roommate along to meet me. The roommate brought a friend, who brought THREE friends, ect.

If you don't feel ready to Friendly Venture, don't feel pressured into it by FV-enthusiasts like me You can only do what you feel comfortable with. I wish you were in Pittsburgh!!! I would love to rush you

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 10-12-2004, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

And Laura...

Go ahead and try the campus. You never know.

I know how hard this can be. I hope you'll stick with it <<hugs>>

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been avoiding the campus because I really was trying to reach an older group of PNMs. Although, if a lot of campus girls express interest, I suppose a chapter could be FV'ed for them as a campus group.