GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,125
2 members and 1,123 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Joining A Fraternity...which of these

Hello everyone,

I am considering joining a fraternity and would like to see what "mystic/secretive-type" of fraternities, (if you may call it that) - are out there to choose from.

The college I am going to has these fraternities, would any of them sound like they would fit my interests?

-Beta Theta Pi
-Delta Sigma Phi
-Phi Delta Theta
-Phi Kappa Theta
-Sigma Alpha Epsilon
-Sigma Tau Gamma
-Tau Kappa Epsilon
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

We really cannot tell you. Go to rush and let magic do its thing (it worked for me).
Old 12-06-2011, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmusic11 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am considering joining a fraternity and would like to see what "mystic/secretive-type" of fraternities, (if you may call it that) - are out there to choose from.

The college I am going to has these fraternities, would any of them sound like they would fit my interests?
I'm sorry, What? Mystic/secretive? I believe all of those you mentioned have secret ritual which many GLOs have. Or are you just meaning social fraternities instead of professional?

We do not know every single chapter and so we are not going to be able to tell you if they fit your interests as each chapter is different. I strongly suggest you go through recruitment, meet the gentlemen and decide which one you feel fits you best/gives you a bid. I think you may need to really think about what you are looking for if you are only into "mystic/secretive" types. It is a lifelong membership. It might be a good idea to think of what you want out of a fraternal experience and how it can help you.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 12-06-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

So going through the recruitment, I will get a chance to meet with each of the chapters/fraternities and meet with frat brothers and see if it fits my interest? They said I fill out some paperwork that each fraternity will see, then they will contact me for further information - so I was hoping that's what I'd get to do.

That's not my only interest that I am looking for. I saw that Beta Theta Pi has roots with the Mystic Seven Society, which I didn't know any fraternities had roots such as that.

I am looking into a fraternity, to meet people that will be friends/brothers forever, charitable, community service, driven and just fun individuals in general. I just didn't know if some had more of a "secretive reputation" than others may.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe the information you want isn't secret but what is the philanthrophy, motto, and image they hold for themselves. Also each fraternity is different on each campus. One might be very studious at your school while be athletic at another. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

If you are looking for a fraternity where " people that will be friends/brothers forever, charitable, community service, driven and just fun individuals in general" then you have just described every fraternity that I know of. But, every greek letter organization has their own secrets, from the ritual they follow, to handshakes, to ways of writing, just to name a few.

As for recruitment, typically called rush, what happens (at my university) is you fill out a form for Greek Like, they will send the prospective list to every fraternity and we get in touch with the people and inform them when our first rush party is. But, we have an extremely informal process. Some universities have it where you have a set schedule for the entire week and have to meet everyone. I would just check with your Greek Life office.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Just join one that you like best. Talk to them, see which one you are most comfortable with.

Don't do it for the reputation or who is "top" house. Every fraternity has their own traditions and secrets.

If you're looking for a way to get into secret societies, that solely depends on the people in the fraternity. There is no secret links between certain fraternities and secret societies. I also want to point out that even though a fraternity has roots with certain secret societies it does not mean the actives are part of the society. It could be just part of the fraternity history.

Last edited by Kirain; 12-06-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's not my only interest that I am looking for. I saw that Beta Theta Pi has roots with the Mystic Seven Society, which I didn't know any fraternities had roots such as that.
The Mystical 7 was a 19th Century collegiate fraternity that merged with Beta. Read about them here. (It's a great read for anyone interested in fraternity history.)

While the Mystical 7 were certainly colorful and different (in terms of symbolism and terminology) from Greek letter fraternities, the fact that Beta's history includes the Mystical 7 doesn't really distinguish Beta that much from other fraternities in the "mystic" sense. All of the fraternities you listed have secret rituals and, I would think, a sense of the mystical in those rituals.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello everyone,

-Beta Theta Pi
-Delta Sigma Phi
-Phi Delta Theta
-Phi Kappa Theta
-Sigma Alpha Epsilon
-Sigma Tau Gamma
-Tau Kappa Epsilon
Each chapter varies by school. No one here knows what these chapters are like at your school (or what you are like in real life).

Attend rush events that are publicized at your school and proceed from there to see where you best fit in.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I loved, I'm interested in joining a fraternity... do you think any of these would fit my interests? Well, all of these are fraternities so I'm fairly confident your desire to join a fraternity would be fulfilled 100% by any of them.

I even went back to see if maybe there had been a substantial edit so that his list of interests might have been deleted for one reason or another. But nope. His interest is in joining a fraternity and he listed a series of fraternities. Eureka!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I loved, I'm interested in joining a fraternity... do you think any of these would fit my interests? Well, all of these are fraternities so I'm fairly confident your desire to join a fraternity would be fulfilled 100% by any of them.

I even went back to see if maybe there had been a substantial edit so that his list of interests might have been deleted for one reason or another. But nope. His interest is in joining a fraternity and he listed a series of fraternities. Eureka!
Not just that but his desire to join a "mystical" fraternity filled with wizards and warlocks and has knowledge of the location of the Holy Grail...
Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
Not just that but his desire to join a "mystical" fraternity filled with wizards and warlocks and has knowledge of the location of the Holy Grail...
Well, that actually sounds pretty cool. The fraternity of wizards and warlocks could have mixers with the sorority of witches. Fun times.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM

I have a feeling that English is not the OP's first language.