GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,242
1 members and 2,241 guests
indygphib
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it interesting that OP had two houses left that she considered to be "lower-tier" (which, at UT, is not an attitude that can be afforded to PNMs) and dropped from recruitment...yet she is already setting herself up for sophomore year with her perceived "top" houses in mind.

Just saying, it's not the best way to go about it.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

You all don't know UT. I can name at least 25 girls who were dropped by certain chapters and got bids to those same chapters as sophomores. I was SO unprepared going in, and not really due to lack of rec letters either. On this website the push is for girls to take any bid received. That works for some girls but for others who aren't as flexible (me!), it's nice to know how UT works. Honestly, living in West Campus has totally opened my eyes to how this all works now.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahE View Post
You all don't know UT. I can name at least 25 girls who were dropped by certain chapters and got bids to those same chapters as sophomores. I was SO unprepared going in, and not really due to lack of rec letters either. On this website the push is for girls to take any bid received. That works for some girls but for others who aren't as flexible (me!), it's nice to know how UT works. Honestly, living in West Campus has totally opened my eyes to how this all works now.
We don't know how rush at UT works? You are seriously wrong about that! Best of luck to you next year in getting a bid from one of your preferred chapters.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I've been so busy but I see all of the comments here and wanted to respond now that I actually have a slower weekend!

I feel that I can rush as a sophomore and get a house I want to be in. I don't want to have to deal with a chapter's less popular status and I don't want to force it at a house that's not appealing to me. Some girls force it and it works out fine but other girls force it and they aren't happy, so it just depends on the girl.

For me, I met some really cool girls in specific houses already, so I'm hoping to get one of those houses next year.

I'll go ahead and take the mystery out of things so you know what's what, although rush seems so long ago now and a few chapters are not on my wish list anymore. I get that every UT chapter has smart, attractive girls, I mean that's just UT for you, but at this point, I can honestly say I would love to be associated with Kappa, Theta, Chi O, Alpha Phi or Alpha Chi.

Many girls at UT re-rush well as sophomores; there's no reason for me not to. I'm having fun, meeting lots of people and going to lots of events, so, here's to next year!!
Hubris.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-29-2017, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

maaaajor troll
Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Honestly, living in West Campus has totally opened my eyes to how this all works now.
Oh, okay then, you should be fine. Don't mind us!
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can name at least 25 girls who were dropped by certain chapters and got bids to those same chapters as sophomores.
What you don't know for sure is whether or not those 25 women had letters of recommendation from highly valued alumnae, or if they had stellar 4.0 GPAs, or if they had some special circumstance such a being a legacy the second time around due to a sister being initiated or a marriage in the family that they did not have the first time around.

I do know for many of the chapters you listed on your wish list, the GPA requirement is often different for sophomores than incoming freshmen. Do not discount that.

I am not saying that you can't or won't have a successful recruitment the second time around, however you will need to be much better prepared for recruitment. Also, do not over emphasize the social relationships you seem to be building. They can help to an extent, but when you have 200+ women voting/ranking PMNs, anything can happen. Expect the worst, hope for the best.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well bless your heart.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

SarahE, I wish you the best of luck next year...I really do. But, I hope that you will leave all options open and consider a house not on your list if any of your preferred houses today are not an option next year. I may not know all about UT recruitment but I am pretty sure that someone who drops out of recruitment 2 years in a row will have no chance after then.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Luckily, none of the chapters have a "once dropped, always dropped" rule.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be silly. She knows way more about rush at UT than you do. Including all of the finer points of the girls who rushed a second time, who those girls cut versus cut them and at what point of the previous year's rush they in fact dropped out. And no girl who ever went through rush ever lied about their actual situation. Just like no other girl ever lied about having been a COB pledge into a competitive chapter that happened to find themselves a few gals below total.

And I'm completely devastated that she will never again have to darken the doorstep of my sorority, being that it isn't good enough for her. Because that's how rushing a second time works.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this chick for real? Lolololololololol
Old 11-01-2017, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Don't be silly. She knows way more about rush at UT than you do. Including all of the finer points of the girls who rushed a second time, who those girls cut versus cut them and at what point of the previous year's rush they in fact dropped out. And no girl who ever went through rush ever lied about their actual situation. Just like no other girl ever lied about having been a COB pledge into a competitive chapter that happened to find themselves a few gals below total.

And I'm completely devastated that she will never again have to darken the doorstep of my sorority, being that it isn't good enough for her. Because that's how rushing a second time works.
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Well bless your heart.
I knew it was coming...
Old 11-02-2017, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Many of our posters have 20-30 years experience with recruitment on campuses across the USA. This thread again shows us a PNM who knows more than any of us have experienced on a very competitive campus ...but that is ok. Just let us know your re-rushing goes.
Closed Thread