GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,430
0 members and 2,430 guests
No Members online

Old 04-24-2004, 07:19 PM

We had to deal with a complete psycho one year... I've told her story elsewhere. Long story short, she came through formal rush desperate to join a sorority, and got cut across the board before pref. One of my sisters really liked her, though, and invited her to a COB rush we held a few weeks later. Again, a decision was made not to extend a bid. I think she wanted to try to COB again in the spring but was talked out of it...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-24-2004, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

We had one girl I remember that tried to pull that stunt. I think she came through rush my soph year and was cut by everyone. She was in the same extracurricular activities as me and some other sisters and she always freaking asked us when the next COB was or if we wanted to go out to dinner with her, or, if you can believe this, she once asked me and another sister if we were ever going to pledge her or if she should just start coming to meetings. WTF? Fuh-reak. She finally stopped asking when we just started ignoring her.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Unregistered-

Question.

Say Suzie PNM goes through rush at her campus multiple times but does not get a bid. For some reason, there's something about her that sororities don't like because they don't extend bids to her.

And then you find out that not only is Suzie PNM transferring to another campus with Greek Life, but she's planning to go through rush again. One can't help but wonder if she's just doing this to be accepted in a sorority.

Psycho...? Or no?
Old 04-25-2004, 08:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I dunno if it is psycho. It is not unheard of for PNM to transfer from a school with a competitive Greek system
Old 04-25-2004, 08:25 PM

It would depend. If Suzie's school is very Greek influenced, there's nothing to do if you're not Greek, and she's miserable because of it, well, I kinda wouldn't blame her.

But she's transferring to the new school JUST to rush and the academic programs are nothing remotely like what she wants....yes, psycho.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ms_gwyn
i have a story that is slighty on the other side. In school i pledged XYZ, had a great time blah, blah, blah (if you want the whole story go here. When I was finally ready to leave and move into another dorm, I was telling my pledge sisters that when I go through recruitment again they should really seriously consider giving me a bid. I do believe that they thought I was psycho, perhaps I was a tiny bit from the grief, from what happened to me. Needless to say, none of this happened because for one, I was not going to through the humiliation of FR again and when I had moved into the other dorm, one of the pledge sisters happened to be my suite mate and that was a bad experience. Afterwards it was pretty hard reverting to a normal life of school and friends outside the sorority because it was basically my life from the time I stepped off the plane, but I did and moved on. I did freak a tiny bit during FR the following Fall, but by then I was ready for something else.

But STALKING is something entirely different and these young ladies in the above stories, truly need to get there heads examined.

I'm just glad that I had a support system through my family and friends that helped me, I don't know that I would not have gone to these extremes. Perhaps these ladies don't have that.

ms. gwyn
Gwyn-
I read your story in the AI thread... and you know... national groups have rules about kicking people out of a chapter (there are VERY few reasons why you can hold a pledge pack from initation). What they did was probably not allowed according to their constitution. I'm sorry that happened to you!!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Question.

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Say Suzie PNM goes through rush at her campus multiple times but does not get a bid. For some reason, there's something about her that sororities don't like because they don't extend bids to her.

And then you find out that not only is Suzie PNM transferring to another campus with Greek Life, but she's planning to go through rush again. One can't help but wonder if she's just doing this to be accepted in a sorority.

Psycho...? Or no?

Superfreak, superfreak, she's super freaky...

For somebody to have rushed multiple times, they're an upperclassman. Transferring that late in the game is pretty unusual.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl-It would depend. If Suzie's school is very Greek influenced, there's nothing to do if you're not Greek, and she's miserable because of it, well, I kinda wouldn't blame her.

I am 100% with this statement. People tend to forget how much the recruitment experience meant, either good or bad. I know a lot of these stories sound really...well odd to be honest. Still, these are very young girls who may come from families that have no concept of what rush is all about. Lack of maturity, lack of polish, lack of knowledge- I say give them a chance UNLESS it's REALLY scary behavior that needs the attention of a professional.
BUT sometimes recruitment is so successful, the numbers don't bode well for anyone who "missteps".
Old 04-26-2004, 12:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Re: Re: Question.

Co-sign!

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Hard to say. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Greek life and GLO chapters can vary enormously from campus to campus. So although she didn't click with any of the sororities at campus A, it's possible she might find a sorority -- or several sororities -- at campus B that would welcome her. And if having the Greek experience in college is extremely important to her, well maybe she's not psycho to try at a different school.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP

Pretty soon, on Tuesdays I see her wearing shirts that say "I love Sigma Kappa" and ones that say "My Best Friend is a Sigma Kappa"
I asked her where she got them and she told me that they had them custom silk printed at the mall b/c she decided that she loves my sorority. Now she's getting weird and it gets WORSE! The next time I saw her on a Monday, she was dressed up and I asked her why. She said that b/c she knows we have meetings on Monday so she has to look her best.
As if that wasn't enough, she is now contemplating buying one of our pins on E-bay so she can have ready for when she gets a bid from us.

WOW!!!! You win!!!! That is weird

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Someone probably shot her for being so annoying . . .
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM

Re: Question.

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

Psycho...? Or no?
if that's the only reason she transferred was to pledge a sorority, then yes I think she's a psycho......or has priorities messed up.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:26 AM

*bumping because I think we might have another over here @ Sigma*

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Geez, you Sigmas sure are popular! hehe.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

wow.. that's SCARY.

I think it works just the same as, say, a new sorority that forms that bases everything they do/symbols off that of a national sorority that they "like".

It's like they are trying so hard, that it just becomes a major turnoff.