GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,245
1 members and 2,244 guests
Sister Havana

Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn University Spring Rush 07

I am rushing this spring to join a fraternity, and I was just wondering how that works. Should I contact the fraternities I'm interested in now? Do they have events before formal rush like they do in the summer? It would be helpful if someone at Auburn or an alum to give me some information on this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2006, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.auburn.edu/ifc/recruitment.php

https://fp.auburn.edu/greek/registra...ssion_form.asp

It took me literally less than a minute to find this with Google.
Literally.

Last edited by GDIfly; 11-02-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

He probably wants off the record help

GDI fly,

It's your "It took me literally less than a minute to find this with Google. Literally" that provoked me to respond.

Yes, you did produce the official Greek Life webpage, which it's likely this guy has seen.

Do you really know what he needs to do to get a bid from a fraternity at an SEC school? Do you think that the official greek life publications really tell you everything you need to know? Did you notice if the links provide the answers to the questions that he's asking?

Why offer the additional commentary if you really mean to help the guy?

Autiger, I don't really know, but speaking with the guys you may already know in the groups would probably help a lot. My impression is that many fraternities do want to already know the guys they offer bids to, rather than just meeting them during rush.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm aware that he needs more information than those links will provide if he wants a bid at an SEC school. But, unless I misunderstood his post, his question wasn't "I'm registered, I need some tips." It was "How does recruitment work?" which is the kind of thing those links can answer.
Furthermore, he posted this in the general greek life forum, not the fraternity recruitment forum or even the general recruitment forum, which tells me he's not the kind of guy who does much research (if any) before he just starts asking.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know: it doesn't seem to me that there's much activity on the fraternity recruitment forum. There seems to be no activity from Auburn guys which is who he is looking for help from.

He also knows enough to realize that there are summer events before fall rush and wonders if there are similar events for spring, which indicates to me he knows something about the process.

It seems to me that even when people post in the wrong place or post with uninformed questions, it's okay to just be nice and helpful. I mean, why not?

Have a great day!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was helpful to link him to the Auburn website and tell him that it was readily accessible from google, in case he hadn't considered taking that route instead of just asking someone. Maybe I didn't have the friendliest tone, but really, is GC known for friendly people?

I also wonder why he doesn't just contact the Auburn office of greek life/IFC directly and get an answer in about 5 minutes instead of posting here in hopes that someone from Auburn might happen to run across it, know the details about events, and choose to answer.
Like I said, I fully acknowledge that questions about how to *succeed* in an SEC rush would be different, but he seems to just be looking for factual, readily available information and hoping to receive it while putting forth as little effort as possible.

I hate that.

Last edited by GDIfly; 11-02-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I was registered with the ifc, and i was a pledge, but just dropped, right before initiation. i was unhappy where i was, and am looking to pledge somewhere else in the spring. i know how fall recruitment works, and i need some information on how spring works, like if they have rush events or anything.

Last edited by autiger; 11-02-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Au, I wrote you on the other thread you started. I graduated from Auburn.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek life likely will not be able to give him the information that he really needs. They will give the official party line which will likely have very little to do with his actual experience.

Sometimes it's almost humorous to read the Greek Life websites and contrast it with first (or second) hand experience.

We could try to make GreekChat known for being nice. I'm in favor.

It looks like Shinerbock is offering his advice to this guy; I think he's in good hands for learning how things work at Auburn.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 11-03-2006 at 06:04 PM.