GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,603
2 members and 1,601 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

6/13/07 - The Great Depression II has officially begun...

...at least according to the Washington Post.

I have been watching for this historic moment since late '05/early '06 and I knew that this moment has been due for a long time coming: Brief article abstract as follows:

Quote:
by Richard C. Cook
Quote:
Global Research, June 14, 2007

It’s official. Mark your calendars. The crash of the U.S. economy has begun. It was announced the morning of Wednesday, June 13, 2007, by economic writers Steven Pearlstein and Robert Samuelson in the pages of the Washington Post, one of the foremost house organs of the U.S. monetary elite.

Pearlstein’s column was titled, “The Takeover Boom, About to Go Bust” and concerned the extraordinary amount of debt vs. operating profits of companies currently subject to leveraged buyouts.

In language remarkably alarmist for the usually ultra-bland pages of the Post, Pearlstein wrote, “It is impossible to predict when the magic moment will be reached and everyone finally realizes that the prices being paid for these companies, and the debt taken on to support the acquisitions, are unsustainable. When that happens, it won't be pretty. Across the board, stock prices and company valuations will fall. Banks will announce painful write-offs, some hedge funds will close their doors, and private-equity funds will report disappointing returns. Some companies will be forced into bankruptcy or restructuring.”
In laymen's terms:

"HEY [UNCLE] SAM! YOUR DEBT IS DUE, MUTHA[LOVER]!!

Rest of the article here

Last edited by KAPital PHINUst; 06-19-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

as long as i don't see people jumping out of windows, i'll be o.k.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
You might see just that before it's all over.

Another article about the Great Depression II (coincidence? I don't think so...)

Quote:

BIS warns of Great Depression dangers from credit spree

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard

Last Updated: 9:02am BST 25/06/2007

The Bank for International Settlements, the world's most prestigious financial body, has warned that years of loose monetary policy has fuelled a dangerous credit bubble, leaving the global economy more vulnerable to another 1930s-style slump than generally understood.

Virtually nobody foresaw the Great Depression of the 1930s, or the crises which affected Japan and southeast Asia in the early and late 1990s. In fact, each downturn was preceded by a period of non-inflationary growth exuberant enough to lead many commentators to suggest that a 'new era' had arrived", said the bank.

The BIS, the ultimate bank of central bankers, pointed to a confluence a worrying signs, citing mass issuance of new-fangled credit instruments, soaring levels of household debt, extreme appetite for risk shown by investors, and entrenched imbalances in the world currency system.
"Behind each set of concerns lurks the common factor of highly accommodating financial conditions. Tail events affecting the global economy might at some point have much higher costs than is commonly supposed," it said.

The BIS said China may have repeated the disastrous errors made by Japan in the 1980s when Tokyo let rip with excess liquidity.
Rest of link here
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the Malthusian catastrophe upon us? Will we soon be eating SOYLENT GREEN?

Quote:
The fight for the world's food

Population is growing. Supply is falling. Prices are rising. What will be the cost to the planet's poorest?

By Daniel Howden

Published: 23 June 2007

Most people in Britain won't have noticed. On the supermarket shelves the signs are still subtle. But the onset of a major change will be sitting in front of many people this morning in their breakfast bowl. The price of cereals in this country has jumped by 12 per cent in the past year. And the cost of milk on the global market has leapt by nearly 60 per cent. In short we may be reaching the end of cheap food.
Rest of link here
Old 06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

off topic

i no likey your signature. I get it..i dont like it
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting read.....
Old 06-26-2007, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Another economist/author discussing the Great Depression II

I stumbled across a blog of an author from Amazon.com who wrote a book on the back-then upcoming Great Depression II back in 2004 and his blogs give occasional updates on the accuracy of his predicting the Great Depression II. In short, his predictions from his book have been very much on point to date.

See, I am pulling data from a plethora of sources, so no once can say I am making this stuff up.

Quote:
Warren Brussee's Blog
Mid-June, 2007, Update of “The Second Great Depression”
12:30 PM PDT, June 17, 2007

Many people have requested that I do my updates more than once per month. Although I was hesitant to do this because so much government data is monthly, I will try this for a while to see how it goes. Also, thanks for all the positive feedback. I only asked for a yes/no reply, but many people took the time to write a more detailed response. This has influenced my decision to try a bimonthly update.

First, I believe that a very important economic change happened last week, which was bond yields increasing to a 5-year high. More important than the increase was the cause. The Chinese have begun to sell their Treasury Securities, and they have reduced their Treasury Security purchases. Since they hold over 400 billion dollars worth, if this continues they will put huge pressure on the US. Since we NEED other countries’ money to keep financing our deficit, we are forced to pay whatever is needed to borrow these funds. (Page 52 in my book.) Cheney might find out that deficits DO matter!

The second thing of importance is that gas inventories are low and refinery utilization (page 39 in my book) is down. Even without a severe hurricane (which is not unlikely), gas shortages are likely this summer.

The third thing of importance is inflation; NOT core inflation, but the 0.7% increase in total inflation in May. The average for the last three months, on an annual basis, is 7%. Note that these numbers are not hidden. It is just that the government, press, and investors have chosen to only look at core inflation, which was only 0.1%. But the consumer is affected by the 7% total inflation, and so is the economy (Page 67 in my book).
If China cashes in our trillion dollar debt (which they have been doing as of recently), between all the other events transpiring, it's game over for our economy--the US will drop from a 1st world to a 3rd world nation almost overnight.

Rest of link here
Old 06-30-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

US Banking Collapse ‘Imminent’ Warns French Banking Giant

Americans are soooooo asleep at the wheel. If we don't act now, we can't say we didn't know it was going to happen:

Quote:
US Banking Collapse ‘Imminent’ Warns French Banking Giant
By: Sorcha Faal, and as reported to her Western Subscribers
French banking giant Société Générale Group, through its subsidiary SG CIB, the 3rd largest corporate and investment bank in the Euro zone, has warned today in a confidential report that the American banking system is in danger of ‘imminent collapse’ due to the hedge fund failures at US banking giant Bear Stearns, a fear that is also being voiced in America, and as we can read as reported by the New York Times News Service:

"The two big Bear Stearns hedge funds that neared collapse last week were full of tricky investments tied to subprime mortgages. To try to ensure that hundreds of billions of dollars worth of similar investments don’t also plummet, endangering the financial system, Congress may finally have to do more to help lower-end borrowers. That, in turn, would prop up the investments based on their mortgages."

Though the United States Securities and Exchange Commission has opened an ‘informal’ investigation into the collapse of the Bear Stearns hedge funds, SG CIB warns in their report that a ‘series of cascading events’ leading to the ‘insolvency’ of the American banking system is now being ‘unleashed’, and as confirmed by Britain’s Telegraph News Service:

Rest of link (with lots of other links within) here
Old 07-06-2007, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what expertise a frenchman (coming from an economy that has almost a 70% governmental tax rate) has regardubg a capatalistic monetary system...

I personally think it's thei backhanded way of inferring that the war is wrecking havoc on our economy...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

With the shutdown of several major hedge funds, and the closing of American Home Mortgage (and now the possibility of Countrywide Home Mortgage shutting down as well), the economic outlook does not look good at all. Add to that the central banks of many countries (U.S., Canada, the EU, Japan, and Australia, to name a few) pumping in billions of dollars/euros/yen into their local markets each and every day to keep the economy afloat only compounds this.

Here is an eye-opening article:

Quote:

Economic Expert: We Are Already In An Engineered Recession
50% chance there is going to be a 1929 style economic depression as pretext for regionalization, globalist interests
Steve WatsonInfowars.net
August 15, 2007

Alex Jones was joined on air yesterday by investigative journalist, economic expert and Harvard Doctor of Political Science Jerome Corsi for an in depth discussion on the state of the economy and the engineered decline towards regionalization and a globalized monetary system.
Corsi warned that the crisis in the stock market we are currently witnessing is simply the tip of the iceberg and part of an overall meltdown that represents a gutting of the United States by neo-mercantilist institutions bent on the formation of a new global monopoly.

“We’re gonna go through Stagflation, which is basically stagnation and inflation. We are already in a recession, it just hasn’t been publicly declared yet. I think it will deepen through the rest of 2007 into 2008. Corsi stated.

“It’s going to last several years, it’s largely because we’ve lost so much of the manufacturing to China, even when our currency tanks, there are no exports we are producing anymore that will gain. The currency is gone, it is being sold off very quietly, worldwide, by the oil producing states, by China, the Euro is increasingly becoming our foreign exchange reserve currency.

The primary indices of inflation have been taken out of the indexes, food is not in and neither is energy prices. These two are going up hugely right now and are going to continue to go up.”

Corsi warned that this is going to be the formula for producing the Amero, a continental solution to the tanking of the Dollar.

Listen to the entire eye opening interview here.

Link to rest of article here

Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
While this article doesn't exactly involved someone jumping out of a window, its net effect is still the same. I just hope that it doesn't trigger a domino effect for others in the months ahead.

Quote:
Lengthy SWAT Standoff Over Foreclosure Ends in Suicide
Published on Saturday, October 27, 2007.

A 12-hour standoff ended this morning with a north Houston man lobbing Molotov cocktails at Houston Police before taking his own life rather than vacate a home he'd lost to foreclosure.
James Hahn, a chemist, had told police he would not be taken from the home alive, said Capt. Bruce Williams, an HPD spokesman.
" 'You know what I do for a living and you know what I am capable of,' " said Williams, recalling one of the conversations police had with the man on Wednesday.
Rest of article here
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump for the acquisition of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac by the federal government,the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers and the sale of Merrill Lynch to BoA, and the possible future fate of AIG.

You heard it here first.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not surprised at all.

Not to mention that the Bible tells of this....yeah, I went there. lol

Tin foil hat with matching vest.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You predict something long enough, and eventually it will come true.

I predict that one day cars will fly. Can I come back and quote this post when it happens and say told ya so??
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I predict that one day cars will fly.
Your prediction is actually 70 years too late. It has already been done, thanks to Glenn Curtiss' aviation protege Waldo Waterman, whose flying car the Waterman Aerobile successfully took flight in 1937. Subsequently, several other flying cars came into existence including the most successful to date, the 1949 Aerocar, which is still flying to this day.

(dang, after 20 years, that ROTC Aviation History class I took in high school have finally paid off).

Quote:
Can I come back and quote this post when it happens and say told ya so??
*shrugs* Do you.