GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,583
1 members and 1,582 guests
indygphib

Old 05-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Smile Good rush questions

Oh boy, the rush board is heating up!

Y'all have been telling the PNMs to try to have some good questions for the sisters. Okay, some they can probably figure out, like "can you tell me why you joined AB?" or "could you tell me what you do with your philanthropy?"

However, we really like to prepare our Greek Chat rushees here! So..as a member, what are some great questions that you'd be impressed to hear from a rushee?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2002, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Impressive questions:
--How would being in a sorority/fraternity enhance my college experience...
--What could be negative repercussions of going Greek...
--Why is being in a Greek house different/better than just hanging out with my regular group of good friends...

Those are just some thoughts.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Arrow

These are questions I included when I designed the Panhel Recruitment book last year:

Social & Activities
*What types of social events occur during the year?
*What activities do you do with other Greek members?
*What are Homecoming and Greek Week all about?
*Why do you enjoy being in a sorority?

Scholarship
*What are the grade requirements?
*What local/national scholarships do you offer?
*How does your sorority promote scholarship?

Leadership
*How quickly can I get involved in the chapter?
*What leadership opportunities are available to me?
*Will I have time for other campus activities?
*Can I have input in chapter business?

Philanthropy
*Does your chapter have a specific philanthropy?
*What fundraising and community service do you do?

Financial
*Can I hold a job and still be involved in the chapter?
*Do you offer payment plans?
*What are the extra costs?

Miscellaneous
*Why should I become a member of the Greek community?
*What is expected of new members and active member?
*Do I have to live in the chapter house?
*What does the new member program consist of?
Old 05-30-2002, 12:40 PM

These are good questions. Some caveats:

Social: Don't focus too much on the social program - it sends the message that you just want to join a sorority for the guys or the popularity factor. Steer clear of discussing specific fraternities... stick to general questions.

Philanthropy: Do your homework ahead of time and know what the national and/or chapter's philanthropies are (if applicable), and name it when you ask.

Financial: At some schools, asking about financials is a big no-no as it implies that you might not be able to afford dues and fees. Ask your rho chi if it's a "safe" topic; if it isn't, she can probably give you a ballpark figure. YMMV - at my school, not only is it "safe" to ask about financials, each sorority distributed little information sheets with information on dues, new member fees, and house/parlor fees where applicable.

Academics: This is a great topic, since the primary reason you are going to college is to learn. Definitely ask about academic programs, study hours, awards that the chapter has won, etc.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

some dont's

It can look bad if a rushee seems too focused on the social aspects of being in a sorority. Never ask about drinking (other than maybe to ask about NOT drinking, which of course would be perfectly ok), or about what fraternities the sorority generally hangs out with. Just in general, it is a big faux pas for a rushee to talk about drinking or guys (in a sketchy way... no big deal if you mention your boyfriend from home or something) during rush parties.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:59 PM

I would say don't bring up drinking AT ALL, because it puts the sisters in a very uncomfy situation. All the national sororities' alcohol policies can be found on their national websites.

As far as social, maybe ask "what are some fun mixer themes you had" or something along those lines. If you don't ask about that at all, they might think you don't enjoy those kinds of activities. It's natural and normal to want to have fun when you join a sorority! It's not all grades, philanthropy and meetings.

As far as the house I know I am picking a nit, but ask "who lives in the chapter house?" By asking "do I have to live in" it might convey that you would think of that as a burden. When you ask it that way, more than likely the sister will volunteer when/if you have to live in.

If you have any doubts as to whether a question would be appropriate, ask your rho chi or if you don't feel comfy asking her, the Greek advisor.

Oh and anyone who is designing a rush booklet or a Panhel website - please make it easy on everyone involved and put each group's costs (or failing that, an average cost) and whether payment plans are available in it. Everyone hates talking about $$, and it's so much better if it's laid out and you don't have to.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Oh and anyone who is designing a rush booklet or a Panhel website - please make it easy on everyone involved and put each group's costs (or failing that, an average cost) and whether payment plans are available in it. Everyone hates talking about $$, and it's so much better if it's laid out and you don't have to.
I can't speak for everyone, but at our school this is not allowed. Financial Obligation sheets are given to the PNMs during the second round of parties during Structured. This is the best time to bring up any financial questions.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget Alumni Involvement

When I went through rush, someone gave me a great tip.

Be sure to ask about Alumni involvement.

Do Alums come back for Homecoming?
Do Alums provide financial support?
Do Alums offer support through Advising, House Corp, & undergraduate programing?

If the Alumni support is strong then the chapter can provide its members with invaluable networking and career opportunities, plus you know that things will be fixed around the house and nothing will happen to the chapter without a fight from the Alums.

If the Alumni support is weak, you have to wonder why? Did they have a bad experience? Were they overinvolved as undergrads and now burnt out?

Alumni support is very important. That's how my chapter is able to finance building a new chapter house. That's how I got my first internship. That's how I met some awesome mentors.
Old 05-31-2002, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask the active what becoming a member of her chapter has meant to her. She just might get misty-eyed when she has to articulate why she wants you to be as interested in her chapter as she is, and she'll remember you for asking such a deep question that touched her. It's also a good way for you to gauge just how much their chapters mean to the members. If you get flip, cutesy answers with a lot of "and ... ums" in them, you might want to look elsewhere. If you get misty-eyed at her answer, however, let her know how impressed you are, and go to the next party if you are invited.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Last summer, I know a bunch of Rush veterans started a thread of guidelines. Is there any way to reactivate that?
Old 06-01-2002, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Rush Topics

I went to a large college and because there was 14 different sororities my sorority had a "greek policy." During the first round of rush our focus was on the benefits of being greek regardless of what sorority you were in. We found that if everyone used this approach there would be a lot more people would have a favorable view of the greek system (and we always made quota every year).

However, our most important policy was no matter what you never talk about another house negatively no matter the situation. We are all greek together regardless of our letters, colors or symbols!

Good luck and have a great rush!
Old 06-01-2002, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl
Last summer, I know a bunch of Rush veterans started a thread of guidelines. Is there any way to reactivate that?
If you remember the name of the thread, or even a keyword, you can easily do a search. If not, maybe someone can find it for you.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RosmaPomia
bump
Old 06-08-2002, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

It's good to keep in mind that the first round is about going Greek in general, with less emphasis on your own house, b/c many girls are still deciding if it's something they want to do at all.

The next rounds are about your house, and the video round and Prefs ceremony are about conveying how much your chapter has meant to you .

I don't know if it's a good idea to ask about "how much the chapter has meant to you" in the first round b/c you only have like 5 minutes with each other, and after the requisite "what's your major" and backround info, it'll be hard to give a complete answer.

I would be impressed if someone asked me about the differences between hanging with your sisters and hanging with your "regular" friends. I'd be less impressed if someone asked
how much time I have to spend on sorority stuff each week. I know it's not meant to take over your life, but it implies that somewhere the down the line they're going to use the "The sorority is not my whole life, I have other things to do" line when they're bailing out on an event.

But you know what's the best? When you find yourself talking about normal things for a moment (but not the whole time, b/c it is important to learn about the house)...it's not rehearsed and you get to see what the person is really like.

Last edited by ROWDYsister; 06-08-2002 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump