GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,414
2 members and 1,412 guests
Titchou
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Your thoughts on AI: discussion goes here.

If you get personal or rude, you get voted off the island.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

O.K. I've kept quiet long enough. Mostly it's been amusing for me to read the back and forth banter that's been going on.

Frankly, I don't care much for A.I. I know a few that are the exception and even was initiated with one. I think that there are far too many women that see AI as their opportunity to OMG! I'm a sorority girl! I get to know ritual! That's just stupid and wrong. To join a GLO as an AI, there should be perfectly valid reasons as to why she wants to join. Personally, the harder the requirements for AI, the better. If a woman really wants in, then she'll have no problem with the waiting. If the process is too easy, we may as well just start handing out flyers in the street for people to come AI into our GLO's.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I am for AI if the sorority approaches the prospect, and not the other way around. I am for AI members being treated as our sisters-in-full.

I am not for AI as recruitment until my Grand Council states otherwise.

I am not for an AI subforum until AI becomes Alumnae Recruitment.

NPC AI is not recruitment and should not be "pursued."

Last edited by adpiucf; 09-29-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I am for AI if the sorority approaches the prospect, and not the other way around. I am for AI as our sisters-in-full.

I am not for AI as recruitment until my Grand Council states otherwise.

I am not for an AI subforum until AI becomes Alumnae Recruitment.

NPC AI is not recruitment and should not be "pursued."
I agree 100% I think when it comes to AI we NPCers can take some lessons from the NPHCers. Many of the things we are saying about AI and how the organization should approach you or you should have a "bond" with a certain organization to me sounds exactly like how the D9 get their members. It is not a free for all for anyone who like my sister said "OMG! I'm a sorority girl! I get to know ritual!"
Old 09-29-2006, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

What is the point of these threads? I would have expected them from other people but not you.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
What is the point of these threads? I would have expected them from other people but not you.
To try to make it seem like moderators encourage people to have opinions and don't play favorites.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
To try to make it seem like moderators encourage people to have opinions and don't play favorites.
You know, the whole thing with playing favorites is really getting on my nerves.

I don't play favorites. I'm 43 freakin' years old and I don't play those kinds of games. I don't need to.

I moderate a forum as I've always done (without complaint, I might add) and I'm wrong.

I try to make a venue for open, opinionated discussion and it's condemed or determined to be some 'trick' to get folks to post just so I can delete the posts.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll put it like this -- there is no reason for the membership selection process to be discussed in a public internet forum. The AI process is membership selection. Therefore, it should not be discussed on a public internet forum.

I do think that NPC recruitment threads are a little different, because it's such a structured, formal process -- although, as always, discretion is key.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

As all of you probably know, I am an AI. Some of you might even say that I "sorority shopped." I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Neither did PH. I went through round one of formal just like undergrads. I was told by a RC that if I was interested in anything sorority related, then I should contact alumnae groups myself. I don't think this should make me a bad person.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
I'll put it like this -- there is no reason for the membership selection process to be discussed in a public internet forum. The AI process is membership selection. Therefore, it should not be discussed on a public internet forum.

I do think that NPC recruitment threads are a little different, because it's such a structured, formal process -- although, as always, discretion is key.
Especially when people are discussing which orgs readily accept AIs and which ones are harder to AI. I see those questions as very similar to asking which NPC sorority has lax rules on membership during recruitment. It's just not for public discussion.

Last edited by OtterXO; 09-29-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not in a sorority but I've been on GC for 4 years and this is my opinion on the AI subforum and AI itself:

In my opinion, AI was created as a way for NPC sororities to initiate worthy women who were either housemothers, members of an absorbed local or had very strong ties to the organization (i.e. unaffliated mother of daughters in the sorority). Since I've been here, I've seen women become AIs to a NPC sorority who in some cases, were approached by the organization to join, others who looked around first then AI'd a sorority. Because it was newer forum, the rules were still being formed and it seemed like anyone could join. Since it's the internet and you can cover up certain aspects of your personality and present a more polished face, some women joined organizations in AI and then, after being members, people realized that these women should have been weeded out before being invited to join. Also, there were women coming to GC who had no prior connections nor were never invited to consider AI trying to join through AI with no idea of what sorority they really wanted or the protocol. The AI forum became a complete mess.

Recently, some of the NPC sororities have made AI information less readily available because all that was going on. There are still women now who are joining through AI but its not like how it was in 2003-2004.

AI is an evolving process but I think for right now, AI as we know it on GC and this forum need to be closed. As long as this forum is here, there will be women who'll stumble on GC, see this forum and think that they can join as an alumna like you'd join a sorority in college. It breeds problems of false information going around, people giving bad advice, etc until ultimately, the PNAM ends up with either a broken heart or bitter because they wasted their time on something that probably only had a 0.5% chance of working.

AI belongs to the sororities and at the sororities' discretion. There should not be an AI forum on GC. If someone will become an AI, the sorority will come to them, they won't have to come to the sorority.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wait, is there really a hypothetical sorority that is actively recruiting AIs? I've never heard of that.

I'm against women seeking AI just because they didn't "get" to join in college.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekalum View Post
I'm against women seeking AI just because they didn't "get" to join in college.
AGREED.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay Barbara, since you're publicly commenting about your moderating capabilities on this matter of AI, then I will post this here, rather than a PM.

Regardless of being pro/anti AI, as Valkyrie said earlier in this thread, Membership Selection is ritual. It should not be discussed on an internet board.

On the D9 boards, everytime someone asks about joining, they are immediately told not to ask & it pretty much ends there. THAT is good moderation.

How come this cannot be done on the AI board?

If someone posts that they are interested in AI, then there are plenty of ACTUAL AIs who can contact them PRIVATELY, if they wish. No connections should be set up publicly on this board. And CERTAINLY, men or even non-NPC members (no matter how much they have read), should not offer advice. This, IMHO, is part of the problem.

PNAI: "Hi. I am interested in AI. What should I do?"
MODbot: "AI = membership selection = ritual. It cannot be discussed on this board. I suggest you contact someone locally who can better advise you. Check out www.npcwomen.org or the individial sororities' websites for more information."

GCers who feel they HAVE to add to the thread: (see MODbot response.) Just like we all know how to respond to "what's the best sorority?" we should know how to respond to "how can I AI?"

GC who AI'd, in a PM: "I was an AI and I am willing to answer your questions.."

NOTHING should be posted publicly about membership selection.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
Okay Barbara, since you're publicly commenting about your moderating capabilities on this matter of AI, then I will post this here, rather than a PM.

Regardless of being pro/anti AI, as Valkyrie said earlier in this thread, Membership Selection is ritual. It should not be discussed on an internet board.

On the D9 boards, everytime someone asks about joining, they are immediately told not to ask & it pretty much ends there. THAT is good moderation.

How come this cannot be done on the AI board?

If someone posts that they are interested in AI, then there are plenty of ACTUAL AIs who can contact them PRIVATELY, if they wish. No connections should be set up publicly on this board. And CERTAINLY, men or even non-NPC members (no matter how much they have read), should not offer advice. This, IMHO, is part of the problem.

PNAI: "Hi. I am interested in AI. What should I do?"
MODbot: "AI = membership selection = ritual. It cannot be discussed on this board. I suggest you contact someone locally who can better advise you. Check out www.npcwomen.org or the individial sororities' websites for more information."

GCers who feel they HAVE to add to the thread: (see MODbot response.) Just like we all know how to respond to "what's the best sorority?" we should know how to respond to "how can I AI?"

GC who AI'd, in a PM: "I was an AI and I am willing to answer your questions.."

NOTHING should be posted publicly about membership selection.

This is exactly what I was trying to say in my previous post. Thank you guys for making it clear.