GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,151
2 members and 2,149 guests
MethrenLusia, Tridentia

Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

AI going back to school

Hello,

I am a soon-to-be initiated AI who's going back to school to get my masters. I am still in my early 20's and the school I will be going to has my sorority chapter. I'd love to be involved with this chapter in very active ways since I've never had the collegiate membership experience. My sorority does allow grad student to rush and get initiated but what about AIs who are going back to school? Is becoming an advisor of some sort the only way to get involved?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan91880 View Post
My sorority does allow grad student to rush and get initiated but what about AIs who are going back to school? Is becoming an advisor of some sort the only way to get involved?
Yes.

You will be an alumna, just like the woman who was initiated into the chapter back in 1952. Alumnae are alumnae, regardless of their ages.

If the "very active collegiate experience" is what you truly desire in your heart, perhaps you need to rethink your AI process and attempt to rush/pledge this sorority as a grad student instead. Realize though that you may not be offered membership by the collegiate chapter.

Last edited by 33girl; 11-12-2007 at 12:45 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
milan, are you in an NPC group? I am so curious to know which one!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re:

Thanks for the responses. I've waited a long time and put a lot of effort to get to where I am as an AI, even though I wasn't the first one to initiate this process. I've learned a lot about the sorority and I am supposed to get initiated soon at the local collegiate chapter. I am still young but I do feel "old" compared to 18 year olds going through recruitment but then again, I realized from my AI journey that one cannot really re-live something she missed out on in the past. I don't share the same bond as other alumna members do from being pledge sisters, and etc. I'm sure my chance of getting a bid as a grad student rush will not be high. I don't know if the fact that I've been extended a membership invitation from their nationals mean anything.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan91880 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I've waited a long time and put a lot of effort to get to where I am as an AI, even though I wasn't the first one to initiate this process. I've learned a lot about the sorority and I am supposed to get initiated soon at the local collegiate chapter.
When you say the "local" collegiate chapter, do you mean the one that's nearest where you live or the one where you're going back to school?

If you ceased pursuing AI and decided to rush as a grad student, I'm guessing it would render your membership approval from nationals null and void - similar to if you were offered a bid by the collegiate chapter and turned it down. You were approved by nationals for alumna membership, not collegiate membership.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Some groups allow grad students to be members of the chapter - some don't. I'd check with the VP:Collegians of whatever group it is you are joining to see if it's allowed.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean by "I'd love to be involved with this chapter in very active ways since I've never had the collegiate membership experience."?

Do you mean like go to mixers and stuff like that?

If you are considering an advisory role, I would check to see what the chapters and/or Nationals' policies are on that. Some groups prefer that women be graudated (or away from their chapter) for a few years.

And on that same note, would you qualify as an advisor just having joined the sorority?

Once you are alum, you are alum (which is why they call it "alumnae initiation"). They can't reverse your status to "collegiate" or whatever the term is for that group. And I may be crossing some lines I shouldn't, but sometimes alums are preferred to stay away from mixers/etc for risk management/ insurance reasons if they are not advisors.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post

And on that same note, would you qualify as an advisor just having joined the sorority?
I'm sure it depends on the sorority. I'm pretty sure one of our AI's went through initiation and immediately became an advisor (because the chapter closest to her really needed one). Now, I'm pretty sure she was given the roll as like social, standards, financial not chapter.

Probably also depends on whether the AI wants to assume such a huge responsibility so soon after their initiation.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt