GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,734
2 members and 1,732 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-24-2013, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Expected salary for position at fraternity/sorority national HQ

I figured if anyone might know the answer to this question, or at least be able to provide some guidance, it'd be y'all. My friend (I swear, not me...happily started a new job recently!) applied for a position at a GLO's HQ, and they emailed her back asking for her expected salary. Obviously she doesn't want to go too high and ruin her chances or go too low. She's not sure what to put since she's:
a) fresh out of college with just a B.S but the job listing only requires an Associate's degree
b) has extensive volunteer experience with her GLO in this field
c) never had a job with a non-profit before

She looked around and hasn't really found any comparable listings with a salary, so I told her I'd ask here. Any tips?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, it's hard to say without knowing what type of position and where the HQ is. A receptionist will be paid less than the person in charge of IT. Also, geography is a big factor in salary.

I'd review info on salary.com for comparable positions in the area and use that as my guide.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The non profit industry - which this is - typically pays less than for profits. And without knowing the position, it's impossible to say. I would say that most Executive Directors for NPC groups make between $50-$100,000 - depending on the size of the organization.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

HQ is in Indianapolis, and it's for a adminy type position, entry level to a few years of work experience. Definitely not the Exec Director level
Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Nonprofits do pay less, but for an admin role, I would still use for profit salary ranges on the lower end in developing my salary requirements.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, I'll pass along the advice!
Old 06-24-2013, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

My experience in the Not For Profit world is that the same position pays 40%-60% less than the for profit given the same job description. Also later, as you apply for jobs in the For Profit sector you can run into people that don't understand why the pay was so low for your position if you were in fact a worthy employee. In other words be prepared to show your job appraisals to skeptics along with the salary range for the position. I solved the problem by leaving and creating my own next job at self employed.