GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,523
0 members and 2,523 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Rounding up GPAs for minimum requirement?

Hi, I had a quick question about GPAs

To rush, most houses have a minimum GPAof 2.5. My gpa is2.496 or somthing close to it due to a few rough semesters. Would I be able to round that up or does that make me ineligible?Anyone with a similar experience? Please let me know thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2012, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseee View Post
Hi, I had a quick question about GPAs

To rush, most houses have a minimum GPAof 2.5. My gpa is2.496 or somthing close to it due to a few rough semesters. Would I be able to round that up or does that make me ineligible?Anyone with a similar experience? Please let me know thanks!
I'm assuming you're not a freshman because you said you had a couple of rough semesters... So that would be two strikes against you, depending on your school. When I rushed, there was no rounding up. Who knows if your school would make an exception. Wouldn't you rather work on getting that GPA up instead?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It depends on your campus. On mine, you had to have a 2.5 to even register for recruitment; chapter requirements were higher than that. GPAs were not rounded, and for good reason. Being a part of a sorority takes a lot of time, and if you have had a few semesters already then maybe you should concentrate on pulling up your grades.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact your university to ask them what they will do. I will say that if your GPA is under a 3.0 and you are an upperclassman, you probably won't be very successful at recruitment. Good grades are very important to sororities when they are considering new members.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

A large number of PH's check your grades (you'll probably sign something saying they can) and they give that information to the chapters. So your true grades, whatever your university considers them to bne, could be what the chapters see.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Per her other thread, it's Michigan.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

And per her other thread, she has a 1.9
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

To be fair, my understanding between the two threads is that her GPA fell to 1.9 and she's managed to raise it just below a 2.5.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems doubtful that a sophomore who doesn't make or barely makes the grade requirement would get a bid. Unless you know a lot of girls in sororities and they just love you to pieces, I kind of doubt you would get a bid.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Does Panhel require a minimum 2.5 to register? If they do, I doubt they will round up and allow you to register. Minimum means bare minimum...not "you're in good shape with a 2.5." That's the hard truth.

When I was at Michigan, back in the dark ages, grades were extremely important. As you know, it's a highly competitive school to begin with, and people tend to be extra snooty about grades. First, I'd see if you can even register for recruitment. If you can, keep a very open mind and see what happens. If you can't register, or you get dropped, then really work on bringing your grades up as high as you can and see if any chapters COR in January. Good luck and Go Blue!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry about the differences between the 2 threads if you'd noticed, my last semester gpa was 1.9 and my overall gpa is just below a 2.5 as a result. I really want to rush but I am going to Michigan for academics and that is my ultimate priority. Thank you everyone