GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,576
2 members and 1,574 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Thumbs down Here we mourn the losses of our beloved Olympic Men's Hockey teams

From the creme de la creme to crap ... yay Canada & US. Sorry, not impressed.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by canadajen; 02-22-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Re: Here we mourn the loss of our beloved Olympic Men's Hockey teams

Quote:
Originally posted by canadajen
From the creme de la creme to crap ... yay Canada & US. Sorry, not impressed.

Your thoughts?
Uh, let's just say that if we were playing for money on NHL 2006 right now, I'd probably take Sweden or the Czech Republic - so I guess it's not a total surprise.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
After the loss to the Swiss, I didn't have much confidence in Team Canada. I had a little bit and was hoping they could pull it out, but I was wrong.

It's sad day in Canada.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to USCTKE
first off maybe if we ignore them they will go away...or at least find another board that wont get shut down again

secondly the US hockey program is a disappointment, 1-4-1 in the Olympics is sad for any US program we should be no worse than the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world year after year. This country has more than enough resources to make that happen, but yet we can never do it.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Banned

sorry, I like posting on here.

US Hockey will never be greater than four or five. And no, we don't have the resources. 3/4 of the US doesn't stay iced over and snowy like the hockey power nations.

C'mon man, 80% of the NHL is made up of foreigners.

Furthermore, the US doesnt give a rats about hockey. It is second tier compared with baseball, football, basketball, golf, nascar......

Hockey is all some countries have.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
The problem is the rest of the world is getting better and we're not improving our hockey programs to stay on top.

Secondly (and this is a personal opinion) you can't have Pat Quinn as the head coach. When he's the head coach he coaches them like they're the maple leafs and we all know how well they play!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by georgewallace3
sorry, I like posting on here.

US Hockey will never be greater than four or five. And no, we don't have the resources. 3/4 of the US doesn't stay iced over and snowy like the hockey power nations.

C'mon man, 80% of the NHL is made up of foreigners.

Furthermore, the US doesnt give a rats about hockey. It is second tier compared with baseball, football, basketball, golf, nascar......

Hockey is all some countries have.
The only thing is the relative size difference (which is at least 10fold) between the US and the other nations - and while the % foreigners in the US is going up, it's still primarily a North American league.

I agree though, youth hockey programs pretty much eat ass in the states - I grew up in a cold-weather climate, and we couldn't even field one team for every high school, some were combined . . .
Old 02-23-2006, 05:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly....I'm more concerned with how we represent in Baseball and Basketball (American sports) than Hockey ( commie sport) in the Olympics. I'm really stoked for the WBC this spring.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigCityStripper
Honestly....I'm more concerned with how we represent in Baseball and Basketball (American sports) than Hockey ( commie sport) in the Olympics. I'm really stoked for the WBC this spring.
As one of the biggest baseball nerds on the Earth, I'm def down for the WBC - but so many players are begging out, it'll be about 80% of what I want it to be. That's all we have, though - no baseball in the Olympics at least through 2012 . . .
Old 02-23-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC
As one of the biggest baseball nerds on the Earth, I'm def down for the WBC - but so many players are begging out, it'll be about 80% of what I want it to be. That's all we have, though - no baseball in the Olympics at least through 2012 . . .
Do you agree with the thought that removing baseball and softball from the olympics is an attempt by the old guard europeans to remove sports that are dominated by New World countries? I have a feeling that if Euro basketball leagues were akin to US soccer, basketball would be out as well.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you agree with the thought that removing baseball and softball from the olympics is an attempt by the old guard europeans to remove sports that are dominated by New World countries? I have a feeling that if Euro basketball leagues were akin to US soccer, basketball would be out as well.
I thought a part of it was that Major League Baseball wouldn't release their big stars to take part in the summer games (much the same problems occurring with the WBC). I could be wrong on that, though.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:38 PM

Does anyone think there would have been a difference if either the Canadian or US team had the opportunity to play together as a real team prior to the Olympics? With the NHL schedule and weather complications, some of these guys got to Torino a day or two before their first game. I don't think that's enough time to get a team going, even if they are supposed to be the top players in each country.

Is it worth it to have NHL players on your Olympic team? Or is this just a failed experiment and time to revert back to your top juniors instead?
Old 02-23-2006, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AOIIalum
Does anyone think there would have been a difference if either the Canadian or US team had the opportunity to play together as a real team prior to the Olympics? With the NHL schedule and weather complications, some of these guys got to Torino a day or two before their first game. I don't think that's enough time to get a team going, even if they are supposed to be the top players in each country.

Is it worth it to have NHL players on your Olympic team? Or is this just a failed experiment and time to revert back to your top juniors instead?
Uh, check the rosters for the actual best teams . . . while playing together may have helped the Swiss, it probably didn't help the actual good teams.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This may be a factor, but in a more subtle fashion - I think it's tough to field enough teams to have a real competition . . . look at the dreck in the WBC, then compare that to World Cup qualifying rounds. This removes the onus to actively promote the sport via the Olympics, especially when so many established 'suits' don't care at all about them.

FWIW, softball might be back in 2012.

-RC
--Double-posts are the new black
Old 02-23-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC
I think it's tough to field enough teams to have a real competition . . .
I was Production Manager for the Baseball venue at Fulton County Stadium during the Atlanta Olympics.

You just ain't lived until you've seen the Netherlands play Poland.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.