GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,272
2 members and 1,270 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 05-16-2004, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Campus paper: PiKA-Ga State Blackface incident

(Although this article implies that "Bill" is still in school, although other sources say he was expelled.)

The Georgia State University Signal
May 12, 2004
Georgia State U. Pike member comes forward to answer charges
By J.D. Sumner, The Georgia State University Signal

Who knew that dressing up like rap sensation Chingy could get someone in so much trouble?

After nearly four months of threats, anxiety and misinformation, a Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity member who donned black face paint at a January party has decided to step out of the shadows and answer charges that he and his beloved fraternity are racist.

Bill, as we'll refer to him, has endured the threats, insults and, most recently, the sanctions handed down by the Senate Judicial Committee for Student Discipline.

"I had no intention of offending anyone," Bill said. "I've had friends come up to me and ask if I was a racist because of bad information that's been circulated throughout campus."

The week before the party started routinely enough. The Pikes gathered into their typical planning meeting to discuss upcoming events, when they were told of about a hip-hop theme party.

"We were told to come dressed as our favorite rapper," Bill said. "I chose to dress up like Chingy, and the other guy chose to dress up like Dr. Dre. And it wasn't just black face paint," Bill continued, "We were dressed up head to toe."

Chingy, one of the latest members of Atlanta-based rapper Ludicris' Disturbing Tha Peace family, has hit the ranks of the rapping world big time with his debut album "Jackpot."

Bill, who comes from a sizeable north Georgia town, said that he had never heard of the history or connotations surrounding blackface and that he was simply trying to dress up like his favorite rapper.

Upon arriving at the party, the two were immediately confronted by former Pike President Rick Burt, who told them that while he personally wasn't offended by the paint, that trouble had occurred at other schools when people had done similar things and that "it'd be best to wash it off."

Ironically, the trouble started as the two were headed to wash the paint off their faces. It was while they were waiting to get into the bathroom that members of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity first encountered them.

"Not a word was said. I saw one of their members and they just kept walking by. It all happened pretty quickly," Bill said. When asked if they recognized who he was, Bill replied, "No, no I don't think so."

After washing the paint off of their faces, Bill said the two left the party and didn't return. He also said that, after hearing that some of the Sigmas had been offended by the stunt, the Pikes tried to get them to come back so they could apologize, but it just didn't happen that night.

According to the testimony of Pike president Dan Forrester at the fraternity hearing held last week, he called the Sigmas the next morning to apologize and set up a meeting where everyone could get together face-to-face for an apology.

"I apologized face-to-face and in writing. I truly was sorry that I offended people; it wasn't our intent at all," Bill said.

Intentions aside, the stunt sparked controversy and created a racial divide at a university that prides itself on racial diversity.

Bill, a fourth-year student at Georgia State University, is appealing the sanctions handed down to him by the committee, saying that there were procedural and evidentiary problems and that the sanction imposed was too harsh for the situation.

He declined to comment on what those sanctions were but did say that Dr. Hazel Scott was hearing his appeal. Should she reject his appeal, Bill's next steps are to go to President Carl Patton and then to the Board of Regents for the University System of Georgia.

Bill says his life has changed in a number of ways since the incident. He concedes that, while his character and constitutions are the same, he's now more conscious of things that people might find offensive.

"When I get dressed every morning I think, 'will people think this shirts offensive today?' It's gotten to the point where I don't want to walk around campus anymore with my brothers," Bill said. "There is definitely hatred here; it's scary."

For now, Bill won't even entertain the idea of transferring to another school because of the stunt. He's intent on finishing up his coursework and graduating.

What's happening here at Georgia State sounds eerily like a similar incident at the University of Tennessee in 2002. There, members of the campus chapter of Kappa Sigma dressed in blackface as the Jackson Five for an air-guitar contest at a campus party. After discussions, administration officials decided not to penalize the members for their stunt due to their constitutional right to free speech, saying that the right of expression must be protected even "when some find it to be insensitive and offensive."
(C) 2003 The Georgia State University Signal

Distr. by Fraternal News
Old 05-17-2004, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pike1483
Quote:
What's happening here at Georgia State sounds eerily like a similar incident at the University of Tennessee in 2002. There, members of the campus chapter of Kappa Sigma dressed in blackface as the Jackson Five for an air-guitar contest at a campus party. After discussions, administration officials decided not to penalize the members for their stunt due to their constitutional right to free speech, saying that the right of expression must be protected even "when some find it to be insensitive and offensive."
Freedom of Speech??? IN AMERICA???

After reading the whole artical I did find it that it shed more light on the situation. I really think the dude wasn't trying to offend anyone, probably just was not thinking AT ALL. I'm not saying it was right-- you'd have to be a pretty big dumbass (sorry bro- nuttin personal) to do this, especially in the South, especially after other groups have been penalized for the same thing, but I think he probably wasn't thinking and I definately don't think the entire fraternity should be blamed especially since they tried to take care of it themselves (they are a PRIVATE organization after all) by making the dude wash it off and then trying to apologize and stuff.
On a side note, I think we're all beating a dead horse, here. Everyone's got there opinions on this incident and I think it's a bit overkill to go on and on about it (I do like to hear the updates about the case), but try and keep the GC civil and without name calling.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

As un-PC as this is, if someone is dressing up as a specific person, I do not understand why it is so offensive. If a black person were to dress up as Al Gore and paint his face white, no one would care, right? Seriously, I'm not trying to be insensitive or start a flame war, I just don't see why there's not a difference between blackface for the hell of it and painting your face as part of a whole costume.
Also, people are saying "how could anyone not know what blackface is and the connotations surrounding it?" Well, I had never heard of it until this board.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Quote:
Originally posted by Pike1483
Freedom of Speech??? IN AMERICA???

After reading the whole artical I did find it that it shed more light on the situation. I really think the dude wasn't trying to offend anyone, probably just was not thinking AT ALL. I'm not saying it was right-- you'd have to be a pretty big dumbass (sorry bro- nuttin personal) to do this, especially in the South, especially after other groups have been penalized for the same thing, but I think he probably wasn't thinking and I definately don't think the entire fraternity should be blamed especially since they tried to take care of it themselves (they are a PRIVATE organization after all) by making the dude wash it off and then trying to apologize and stuff.
On a side note, I think we're all beating a dead horse, here. Everyone's got there opinions on this incident and I think it's a bit overkill to go on and on about it (I do like to hear the updates about the case), but try and keep the GC civil and without name calling.
Thanks, and well said.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thermobryan
Thank you, its over with. Pikes aren't racist!!!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thank you thermobryan!

My problem is not with the Pikes about some young man who was dressing the part of a Hip Hop Dude. I think maybe he was actually giving that person some respect for His Profession as a Rapper Artist if that is what you want to call it!

How many young people have any friggen idea about minstal shows and the famous people who did them? Not to damn many!

Who remembers Amos and Andy that was on TV? Not to damn many!

Some of this noncensical crap is getting over board by the Young and The Restless.

Some of this gets as ridiculous as naming Indians or Names refering to them out of respect and now cannot do it.

I went to a party one time painted GREEN and My then girl friend was painted brown. There was no racist bullshit involved, jsut going as charateres of a song.e

Da, The Jolly Green Giant and the Amazon. Now, any damn green people out there with problems?

When some narrow minded people get so hot up, then they are the only right ones! Right?

LX Z # 1
Alumni