GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,366
1 members and 1,365 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 08-25-2013, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking Greek (Recruitment Story)

Hello! After lurking on here for four years, it’s finally time that I get to go through Recruitment myself! And since I love reading everyone else’s recruitment stories so much, I thought I’d post my own!

I got interested in wanting to join Greek life my freshman year of high school when we were assigned to write a research paper on the topic of our choice. I’d watched The House Bunny or Legally Blonde or something like that a few days prior and had been Googling stuff about sororities shortly after, so I figured, why not? By learning what sororities are actually like through that paper, and since then, I’ve grown even more interested in joining one. Four years of pent-up excitement for this one week is a lot, but I’m really hopeful that I’ll find the sisterhood that’s right for me and all that excitement will be worth the lifetime that I get out of it.

While I won’t post my school name or location (at least not until after all is said and done), I will say that I go to a school with seven NPC sororities, and recruitment is not terribly competitive. Since I’m a huge linguaphile, the codenames will all be foreign languages (fun fact: I can say ‘I love you’ in all of these; sadly I can’t speak all of them fluently... yet )

Spanish
Afrikaans
Italian
German
Dutch
French
Japanese

Now I’m fully aware that chapters pay attention to these boards and things like that over the week, so I’m definitely keeping the details of my story for after Bid Day. However, I also know you guys get excited about these stories and want to know what happens (I do too when I read recruitment stories!) so do you think it’d be fine to say the number of chapters I get invited back to each day, or even which ones and how I ranked them (using codenames of course) and giving details later on? Or would it just be better to save the full story for the end? Let me know what you guys think on that.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

By the way, Recruitment begins Thursday but there are other events for PNMs between now and then.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd say do what you think is right I do not think you are giving too much info away so far.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

You could write it live in a word document, so you'd have your genuine thoughts at the time. But I would wait to post a few days after each round, just to be extra safe. Good luck to you!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Have a great recruitment!
I'm obviously rooting for Dutch (ok and Afrikaans as well...) Veel succes! Veel sukses! (aka Good luck)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
But I would wait to post a few days after each round, just to be extra safe. Good luck to you!
I agree!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
You could write it live in a word document, so you'd have your genuine thoughts at the time. But I would wait to post a few days after each round, just to be extra safe. Good luck to you!
Alright, I will probably do that then. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
Have a great recruitment!
I'm obviously rooting for Dutch (ok and Afrikaans as well...) Veel succes! Veel sukses! (aka Good luck)
Dank u wel!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Today was the Sorority Meet and Greet event for PNMs. I was able to talk to girls from each of the houses (or at least introduce myself), which was my goal. I also got to meet one of my Rho Chis, and I really like her! Meeting women from each group was really nice, and I think it gives me a first impression in a positive way, instead of hearing gossip from the outside and whatnot. Here’s where I’m at with each group so far:

Spanish: I got to meet several girls from this group, and introduce myself, but I didn’t talk to them for very long. They seem nice and very diverse. I didn’t get to talk to them long enough to know more than that. I’d like to learn more though, and get to know the Spanish women better.

Afrikaans: Again with this group, I really only got to introduce myself before the event ended. The two women seemed nice as well, and they tried very hard to remember people’s names which I liked. I’ve always enjoyed this group on a national level based on what I know (values, symbols, etc) and their philanthropy is something very important to me personally. I’m hoping to spend more time getting to know these women better as well.

Italian: This group was sort of off my radar, but they surprised me with how well we got along! I talked to several of them for quite a while, and the conversation came very easy. I like this group. I’m looking forward to seeing them at Recruitment and seeing if I continue to get along with them so well.

German: I only talked to two girls from this sorority. They seemed kind of shy. I enjoyed talking to them, but thus far don’t feel a connection. However, I plan to start with a clean slate at Recruitment; I don’t want to make a judgment just yet.

Dutch: I met three girls from this group. They were all very bubbly and outgoing. I liked them for the most part. One of the three seemed sort of closed off but we talked about a TV show we both like and she opened up more. Other than that I don’t have much of an opinion yet.

French: I only talked to one girl from this group, but we got to talk one-on-one which was really nice. I think we got along well. Based off talking to her I like them so far. I look forward to meeting more of the French sisters.

Japanese: I met a few Japanese sisters. I was in a big group with a few of them and some other PNMs so it was hard to say whether I felt a connection or not. BUT! One of the Japanese sister’s mom used to work for my school, and I knew her. The girl said she would talk to her mom and see if she remembered me. Since I don’t have any Greek connections at all I thought it was really cool just to even have that little one, and I hope it’s a good thing. I like this group a lot so far. Another thing I’d like to note after the fact is I’ve seen the girls from Japanese at all the events so far, and together. They seem very involved on campus and that’s appealing to me.

Rho Chis: I love all of the Rho Chis! They’re all so fun and excited about Greek life and I love it.

I won’t rank the groups or anything like that. It’s too early to tell especially because I didn’t get to spend equal time with an equal number of sisters. But I’m enjoying the whole thing so far! I can’t wait for Recruitment to actually begin.

I feel like I can say right now that I can’t forsee myself dropping out of recruitment because I don’t like whatever chapters I end up with on my schedule after a particular round. I think I’d be comfortable with any of them. That could change, but for the moment I can say that I would be delighted to receive a bid from any chapter.

Also, if anyone thinks I'm giving away too much information, please tell me and tell me what part(s) are too revealing.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you had a great first day!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Viel Glück! I am rooting for German, my minor!
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck Seisanne! I speak almost fluent Spanish so I have to root for them! I hope you have an amazing recruitment and have a great experience(: Make the most of it!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasminePSS View Post
Good luck Seisanne! I speak almost fluent Spanish so I have to root for them! I hope you have an amazing recruitment and have a great experience(: Make the most of it!
[mini hijack]

My Spanish (after taking it for 2 years in high school and 2 years in college and growing up in AZ)...

Hola como estas?

Muy bien, gracias y tu?

Donde esta el bano?

Que hora es?

Una cerveza por favor?

No habla espanol. (which I personally find hysterical because I'm saying I don't speak Spanish in Spanish)

That be my Spanish.

[/end mini hijack]
Old 08-31-2013, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2read View Post
[mini hijack]

My Spanish (after taking it for 2 years in high school and 2 years in college and growing up in AZ)...

Hola como estas?

Muy bien, gracias y tu?

Donde esta el bano?

Que hora es?

Una cerveza por favor?

No habla espanol. (which I personally find hysterical because I'm saying I don't speak Spanish in Spanish)

That be my Spanish.

[/end mini hijack]
Actually love2read, "no habla español" means you don't speak Spanish/he or she doesn't speak Spanish Pero no es una problema, no juzgamos ¡Y sabes mucho que necesitas saber para salir adelante!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seisanne View Post
Pero no es una problema, no juzgamos ¡Y sabes mucho que necesitas saber para salir adelante!
translation

I wish I spoke Spanish. Heck I wish I spoke another language. I say that I "speak teacher". LOL.

Hope you are having a great time at recruitment.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I took siete anos de espanol. When I was in Espana, I learned that "Como se dice in ingles?" was worth its weight in gold. Sadly, it destroyed my accent. If you don't use it, you do lose it!

seisanne, I hope you get the sorority bid that you understand!