GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,470
3 members and 1,467 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 10-10-2016, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Delta Phi Epsilon colonized at Penn State this weekend with 235 women!
Old 10-10-2016, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Very nice! Congratulations on your return to PSU.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Tau Iowa State (Alpha Nu) colonization: 23 pledges.

Onward to South Carolina!
Old 10-11-2016, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
105 for Tri Sigma at UMass-Amherst!

ooh, I missed this! Congrats on a very successful colonization! Welcome back to the zoo, Sigma Sigma Sigma!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Yes, they have 8 locals and KD. I agree that 8 seems low, but that was my best guess based off the photos the FB page posted-there were only 8 individual women in them. The photo was captioned "this semester's amazing founding members" so hopefully they will continue to pick up more as the semester goes on. Sewanee's formal recruitment period is in January as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Sewanee has a Spring recruitment. I am assuming that this is their upperclass recruitment that they have in the Fall. I believe when KD first opened their doors, they had maybe 10 or 12 to start with. It is a different kind of campus. Some groups are large and some are very small. They don't have a quota/total system from what I can tell. Maybe with a 2nd NPC group on campus a College Panhellenic will be formed and things will change.
Thanks for the clarification/info! It's always interesting to me how things are done on campuses that have a local presence as well. I hope this campus continues to expand Panhellenically. Best of luck to both groups!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Sewanee

Quote:
Originally Posted by txAOII_15 View Post
Thanks for the clarification/info! It's always interesting to me how things are done on campuses that have a local presence as well. I hope this campus continues to expand Panhellenically. Best of luck to both groups!
Sewanee is an interesting campus. It has long had national fraternities but the sororities were local. It is also somewhat unique in its approach to underaged drinking.

It is located on the top of a mountain (technically the Cumberland Plateau). There is nothing else up there. Many moons ago the students would drive down the mountain and then either to Chattanooga (45 minutes) or Nashville (about the same to outskirts) to go to bars. Obviously this was a recipe for disaster- not only the distance on a busy interstate but also the very curvy road headed back up the mountain.

The school now is 100% comfortable with students drinking on campus, even underaged students. They even run a trolley on weekends to transport students. The exchange they make with the students is that no one will be punished as long as they stay on the mountain and out of cars. This system has worked well for them, but one can see where it has been problematic for NPC groups. I have been watching with great curiosity to see if a Campus Panhellenic forms and then what may come in the next few years as a result.

Just interested is correct in that there is great variation in the size of the sororities.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Akron Delta Zeta welcomed 39 new members per twitter.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:48 PM

Congratulations to the Alpha Sigma Phi colony at Kent State University(OH). They received their charter this past weekend.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
The school now is 100% comfortable with students drinking on campus, even underaged students. They even run a trolley on weekends to transport students. The exchange they make with the students is that no one will be punished as long as they stay on the mountain and out of cars. This system has worked well for them, but one can see where it has been problematic for NPC groups.
This applies to Washington and Lee as well. There really isn't any carding. The bus, Traveller, is named after Robert E. Lee's horse. They are both buried on campus. I'm not sure Lee or Traveller would approve of the bus name, but there you go!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's the word on DPhiE's colonization at Young Harris? My college roomie is an alumna (still buds).
Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Yes, they have 8 locals and KD. I agree that 8 seems low, but that was my best guess based off the photos the FB page posted-there were only 8 individual women in them. The photo was captioned "this semester's amazing founding members" so hopefully they will continue to pick up more as the semester goes on. Sewanee's formal recruitment period is in January as well.
I have confirmed that 8 is the initial colony number. Freshmen are not allowed to rush in the fall and a good percentage of upperclassman are already Greek on this small campus. Therefore, the pool to select a colony class from is limited. There were also locals who opted to do a fall recruitment for upperclass students. This is a nice base to start with and hopefully they can add significantly to the group come January.

There is no quota or total at Sewanee. Group size appears to range from about 25-low 100s.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 PM

Congratulations to these recent charterings:

Lambda Chi Alpha- Huntingdon College(AL)

Tau Kappa Epsilon- Texas A&M

Also, best wishes to the 20 founding fathers of the new Pi Lambda Phi colony at the University of Pittsburgh(PA).

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-12-2016, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
They chartered in the spring. They took 13 NMs this fall From the looks of it, they're doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
What's the word on DPhiE's colonization at Young Harris? My college roomie is an alumna (still buds).
Old 10-12-2016, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Gamma Delta presented last night at Texas State.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They chartered in the spring. They took 13 NMs this fall From the looks of it, they're doing great!
My DPhiE friend's daughter started there this fall and I need to touch base with her and ask if she pledged.