GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,358
2 members and 2,356 guests
Cookiez17, PrettyBoy

Old 12-19-2019, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha has officially been colonized at Benedictine University via https://www.instagram.com/p/B6F2k4yjWaz/

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-19-2019, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Theta Phi Alpha has officially been colonized at Benedictine University via https://www.instagram.com/p/B6F2k4yjWaz/
Actually, our emerging chapter there has been officially installed and is now our Delta Nu chapter.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Mu will be opening a new chapter at Stevenson University (MD) in Spring 2020 via https://twitter.com/PhiMuFraternity/...15237142044672

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 01-10-2020, 09:44 AM

Ohio State University has revoked the campus recognition of the following fraternities:

Phi Delta Theta (until 2024)- violation of Student Code of Conduct for hazing, failure to comply with campus or civil authority

Sigma Pi (until 2023)- violation of Student Code of Conduct for hazing, violation of alcohol policies

Zeta Beta Tau (until 2023)- violation of alcohol policies, failure to comply with campus or civil authority

It is currently unknown if their respective organizations have also closed or suspended the chapters.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Alpha will be reestablishing their chapter at Plymouth State University in NH.

https://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/news...SKaujE0oTq_5lk
Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM

University of Southern Indiana has opened for IFC expansion.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Alpha Sigma Alpha will be reestablishing their chapter at Plymouth State University in NH.

https://www.alphasigmaalpha.org/news...SKaujE0oTq_5lk

"Beginning Fall 2019 only nationally affiliated social Greek organizations will be permitted to charter on the campus of Plymouth State University. Organizations currently on campus will have until August 1, 2020 to align with a national organization in order to maintain recognition with Plymouth State University. Chapters that do not adhere, will not be recognized by the university."

According to the university website, there are three local organizations and two were shown as seeking affiliation. I wonder if Alpha Sigma Alpha is going to absorb one of these, or be a ground-up colonization.

In addition to Alpha Sigma Alpha, it appears that Theta Phi Alpha is also establishing a colony. The ASA news release mentions that they are "joining Delta Zeta and Theta Phi Alpha". DZ already has a chapter at Plymouth, but Theta Phi does not.

Last edited by LaneSig; 01-15-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
"Beginning Fall 2019 only nationally affiliated social Greek organizations will be permitted to charter on the campus of Plymouth State University. Organizations currently on campus will have until August 1, 2020 to align with a national organization in order to maintain recognition with Plymouth State University. Chapters that do not adhere, will not be recognized by the university."

According to the university website, there are three local organizations and two were shown as seeking affiliation. I wonder if Alpha Sigma Alpha is going to absorb one of these, or be a ground-up colonization.

In addition to Alpha Sigma Alpha, it appears that Theta Phi Alpha is also establishing a colony. The ASA news released mentions that they are "joining Delta Zeta and Theta Phi Alpha". DZ already has a chapter at Plymouth, but Theta Phi does not.
Do any of those three locals have ties to the former ASA chapter? (as in, after the ASA chapter closed, the remaining members formed a local which is still around today)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

In addition to Alpha Sigma Alpha, it appears that Theta Phi Alpha is also establishing a colony. The ASA news released mentions that they are "joining Delta Zeta and Theta Phi Alpha". DZ already has a chapter at Plymouth, but Theta Phi does not.
I can confirm that, re: Theta Phi. Our director of growth and outreach is there this week with a team and working on recruitment.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Do any of those three locals have ties to the former ASA chapter? (as in, after the ASA chapter closed, the remaining members formed a local which is still around today)
RE: ASA, I'm not sure of the particulars or details after the chapter closed regarding if a local was formed, that campus I'm not super familiar with so I can't speculate. Although I was really happy to see the news since one of my friends/sisters was a founding member during its previous colonization.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
RE: ASA, I'm not sure of the particulars or details after the chapter closed regarding if a local was formed, that campus I'm not super familiar with so I can't speculate. Although I was really happy to see the news since one of my friends/sisters was a founding member during its previous colonization.
The former members of ASA formed a local called Sigma Kappa Omega after the chapter was closed. A pledge of SKO was killed after a car crash with ten pledges in the car-the police at the time said they were blindfolded and the car was being jerked back and forth by the driver as part of a hazing ritual, but I don't know if that was ever substantiated.

http://archive.boston.com/news/local...cus_on_hazing/

https://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...-of-250346.php
Old 01-16-2020, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

When the former chapter of ASA at Plymouth self closed, no local sorority was formed. All members became alumnae sisters.
SKO was a local startup. ASA was still on campus during this incident.
Yes, we will be absorbing a local that was on campus even before the ASA chapter was originally established.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 AM

The Sigma Phi Epsilon chapter at Lamar University(TX) has been closed. Closure is due to hazing allegations.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/ne...4-f4dbee17d11a

Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Kappa Sigma at New Mexico State has been suspended for 5 years due to hazing allegations

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/nmsu-s...azing-incident

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 01-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
Kappa Sigma at New Mexico State has been suspended for 5 years due to hazing allegations

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/nmsu-s...azing-incident
DANG! That's not hazing; that's felony assault. (Or, at least I think so.)

For those of you who haven't read it:

"Sillas said when they were at the campfire in Cloudcroft J.R. pulled him aside and told him to turn around.

"J.R. pulled me to the side and said you didn't get this done. He told me to turn around and I thought I was going to get hit with a paddle," said Sillas. "He unzipped his backpack and pulled out a gun and that's when I started to freak out."

"He said everyone did it. He pressed it on my leg and pulled the trigger," said Sillas."