GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,674
1 members and 1,673 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd be interested in hearing how that goes.[/QUOTE]

Those groups will ignore what is said about them. Because it's Texas. And the women who go through the process at UT would rather pledge a local at Sam Houston State (if there was one) than poke the bears that are the Big 3.

They look you over at Roundup. They know before you ever hit Austin City Limits if you are going to be one of them.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Red face

OMG peeps, I'm on painkillers and i figured this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis View Post
This post was more for any crazy stalkers from Greekrank to know that I'm definitely not bothering myself by getting involved in THAT fight. Also for any GCers to know that I kindly request to not be quoted in the future. Of course I can't stop anybody who chooses to do so, but I hope y'all have better manners than to ignore my request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Sorry for my "poor manners" in quoting you. .
Quote:
You're young so hopefully you can take this as a learning experience about the Internet. When you post something online, it's no longer just "yours" . It's out there and will never go away.

I'm sorry someone copied your post and put it on another site, but that happens.

Sometimes you're better off saying nothing if you don't want what you're about to type to be out there forever.
1. Agsis complained about a poster from Greek rank lifting a post from this site nd copying it to g rank.
2. Nan said she's sorry someone at gr did that but that's life.
3. Ag azks for no GCers to quote her. I'm assuming she means on GC.
4. Nan says that's kinda lame.(shes also assuming ag means on gc)
5. Everyone flips their zhit and thinks Nan is posting things from here all over the interweb.

I don't think any regular poster on this site would copy other people's posts from this site and put them on gr.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:41 PM

Now on another note.

I've come to the conclusion that UT should just get rid of formal rush and do informal rush to bid up to total. That way no one has to talk to anyone that they don't want to talk to. It would probably be a lot healthier for the rushees. Now if the person who is borderline anal about freshmen meeting all chapters is saying that, what does that tell you?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Ugh - so sorry to hear that! I hope she has a wonderful recruitment, in spite of dance party house.

Wait - you were the person who quoted her on GR? Am I the only other person here who does think that's rude? I thought Ag_Sis made a reasonable request in a rather polite way. I'd be pissed if a whole post of mine were lifted and posted on GR, too.
No, not at all. I took quoting as having her posts quoted within this thread/Greek chat. Not the other site.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^I was confused as well, so I edited my post, and I apologize for being confused. I am not going to type one more word today. I'm going to the pool.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-19-2015, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Ugh - so sorry to hear that! I hope she has a wonderful recruitment, in spite of dance party house.

Wait - you were the person who quoted her on GR? Am I the only other person here who does think that's rude? I thought Ag_Sis made a reasonable request in a rather polite way. I'd be pissed if a whole post of mine were lifted and posted on GR, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
OMG peeps, I'm on painkillers and i figured this out.

1. Agsis complained about a poster from Greek rank lifting a post from this site nd copying it to g rank.
2. Nan said she's sorry someone at gr did that but that's life.
3. Ag azks for no GCers to quote her. I'm assuming she means on GC.
4. Nan says that's kinda lame.(shes also assuming ag means on gc)
5. Everyone flips their zhit and thinks Nan is posting things from here all over the interweb.

I don't think any regular poster on this site would copy other people's posts from this site and put them on gr.
Thank you! I'm really sorry it came off the other way.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Now on another note.

I've come to the conclusion that UT should just get rid of formal rush and do informal rush to bid up to total. That way no one has to talk to anyone that they don't want to talk to. It would probably be a lot healthier for the rushees. Now if the person who is borderline anal about freshmen meeting all chapters is saying that, what does that tell you?
I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek, because THIS would be the mother of all fluster clucks. Recruitment needs some reforming, but informal - and hey, why not informal deferred, while we're talking about ways to totally insure that the vast majority of girls don't get placed. It's only a few chapters that are the problem, and THEY are the ones who need reforming, not those who abide by the rules and get women who might not consider them without going through formal recruitment.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
fluster clucks
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek, because THIS would be the mother of all fluster clucks. Recruitment needs some reforming, but informal - and hey, why not informal deferred, while we're talking about ways to totally insure that the vast majority of girls don't get placed. It's only a few chapters that are the problem, and THEY are the ones who need reforming, not those who abide by the rules and get women who might not consider them without going through formal recruitment.
They don't need to do informal, they just need to go to NO frills like the schools around me have done. Define what decorations, music, etc. are allowed. No glitter, no beverages or food besides plain water, no flowers, no music for a dance party. It's not that hard. It saves a ton of money. It seems like, from pics I've seen, a lot of these schools haven't cut the frills one tiny bit and they seem to be getting quite frilly again. It's ridiculous. No videos, no skits, just talk to these women and get to know them, period.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
They don't need to do informal, they just need to go to NO frills like the schools around me have done. Define what decorations, music, etc. are allowed. No glitter, no beverages or food besides plain water, no flowers, no music for a dance party. It's not that hard. It saves a ton of money. It seems like, from pics I've seen, a lot of these schools haven't cut the frills one tiny bit and they seem to be getting quite frilly again. It's ridiculous. No videos, no skits, just talk to these women and get to know them, period.

Preach it, Triad sister!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was so proud of the pnm I had prepped for rush a few years ago who dropped THAT HOUSE after the dance party (yes, she had an invite for the next round).
Belle, I'm proud of the young lady you mentored. Where did she pledge? My rec girl is going through rush there right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
At my school it was pretty strict. We had skits and slide shows, but otherwise it was very no frills. The only flowers were our pink rose for decoration.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I'd like to be tongue in cheek, but then people say (and I know they're being honest and wish this wasn't, but is):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post

Those groups will ignore what is said about them. Because it's Texas. And the women who go through the process at UT would rather pledge a local at Sam Houston State (if there was one) than poke the bears that are the Big 3.
Perhaps I'm having a particularly cynical day, but when the most prestigious chapters are those with the most horrible behavior, and the rest of the Greek system hasn't run them out of town on a rail, I don't know how to fix that.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

In all honesty, and this is just my observation, those 3 groups have their own recruitment "list" of maybe 200 + a few more pnms. Not all of them will make that "cut", but I'm not that far off. There is another group on campus that is strictly for one religious group and then there is everybody else. Most, if not all of the "other" chapters are well aware of this and not naive at all. They go along their way and pledge the best girls for their chapter leaving these "chosen ones" out of their mix unless they have information otherwise. It is a most impressive selection process for the "other" groups. I have to say kudos to them for working it.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^I was confused as well, so I edited my post, and I apologize for being confused. I am not going to type one more word today. I'm going to the pool.
I also edited my post! Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
No, not at all. I took quoting as having her posts quoted within this thread/Greek chat. Not the other site.
Oh, I understood her reference to quoting was almost entirely in reference to lifting her quotes and putting them on the other site. I agree that that is highly uncool, whereas quoting within GreekChat is to be expected.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Woot - double post!
Quote:
Belle - I think you pointed out on the "dream expansions" thread that Texas has a culture problem that needs to be addressed before expansion can be successful. As a total outsider looking in on this system purely through internet sources, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head regarding recruitment issues, too.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm having a particularly cynical day, but when the most prestigious chapters are those with the most horrible behavior, and the rest of the Greek system hasn't run them out of town on a rail, I don't know how to fix that.
This, I think, is particularly problematic. The entire system (chapters and PNMs) continue to reward the bad behavior. No, not all chapters and PNMs, but enough of them to maintain the status quo.

After reading through some of the comments on GC, I read through the other site and I was amazed at the level of vitriol posted there, particularly in regards to who is participating in formal recruitment this year. I didn't even see just a couple of panhellenic posts to counter to the hate. Just, wow.