GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,272
2 members and 1,270 guests
PGD-GRAD, Titchou

Old 10-05-2014, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

sorority fines

I

Last edited by jenpiphi; 10-05-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpiphi View Post
I was fined for missing work week. It is a significant amount of money and i think my excuse was legitimate. I tried emailing our advisor but she never responded. Who should I even try to talk to about it?
This is not a question for people outside of your sorority. My advice is to keep your business at home.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, follow the established procedures for an appeal.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

put on your big girl panties and deal!

Unless you were in the hospital, car accident or death in the family you KNEW when your chapters work week was, so the reality is no excuse is legitimate (unless it is one of the three I mentioned earlier).

You also should know what your chapters policy is in regards to excuses to miss required events, if you don't, I would suggest you get a copy of them before you decide to miss any other required events.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-06-2014, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Unless you were in the hospital, car accident or death in the family you KNEW when your chapters work week was, so the reality is no excuse is legitimate (unless it is one of the three I mentioned earlier).
I'm just gonna go ahead and say YMMV on this. For example, I would never tell a woman she needed to cut an internship short for work week.

Of course, I would also tell her that she needs to work these things out with her chapter IN ADVANCE, but believe it or not, sorority recruitment is not the most important part of a college education.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Check with your VPF or VPA. Chances are, if it's already in Greekbill, there isn't a lot to be done. Trying to handle it now is likely too little too late. Pay it and make sure you are clearly excused for events in the future. You should have had access to your bylaws, where your excuse policy should be outlined. If you don't know it, ask your VPA - and follow the excuse policy for the future.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm just gonna go ahead and say YMMV on this. For example, I would never tell a woman she needed to cut an internship short for work week.

Of course, I would also tell her that she needs to work these things out with her chapter IN ADVANCE, but believe it or not, sorority recruitment is not the most important part of a college education.
I too would understand that, but the fact of the matter is actives know well in advance when work/spirit week is, they need to make arrangements is what I'm getting too. Hence I feel no sympathy for the OP unless she ended up in a serious car accident or the hospital (or both). She knew about it.

As a collegian I knew when spirit/work week was before I left school in May and then we were sent a packet of information about a month before. When I was recruitment advisor, the same thing. The chapter knew in advance. When sisters don't show up it makes it very difficult to plan or organize when not everyone is present for whatever reason.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I feel no excuses if you could not plan ahead and make arrangements. Back in the days of dinosaurs we had no cell phones or e-mail for quick notifications. We were told the dates for work week prior to our final meeting in May, what is known today as snail mail was sent to our summer addresses, Bell had already invented the telephone so we were able to use that AND we used a method called "rumor mill." "Rumor mill" consisted of the council talking with their friends who talked to their friends, etc. It was extremely accurate!

DaffyKD
Old 10-12-2014, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, there were some girls in my chapter who would always get out of both workweek and fines by buying their plane tickets really early. I hated it, because it's not like the dates varied that much each year. By your junior year, you should know not to buy tickets for the day before school starts. That's really not an excuse. Our exec was always waaaaay too generous on that one.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I think we are all saying the same thing...the reasons to miss work week may include more things than the reasons to miss work week without prior arrangement.