GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,289
1 members and 2,288 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2009, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

So my grandmother, who until yesterday was my last surviving grandparent, died yesterday. It wasn't a complete shock - she was quite elderly and had been ill for a while. The shock is how my mom's siblings have been handling it. I'm trying to be forgiving since I'm sure it's never easy to lose a parent. But the constant bickering, their laying-claim on Grandma's possessions, and the way they're treating my mom is just beyond me.

I haven't smoked since the day I found out I was pregnant with my older child (that was four and a half years ago), but the stress is really making me want a cigarette more than anything. I haven't given in to my craving, but that could be due to the lack of smokes immediately available.

This weekend has sucked.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
So my grandmother, who until yesterday was my last surviving grandparent, died yesterday. It wasn't a complete shock - she was quite elderly and had been ill for a while. The shock is how my mom's siblings have been handling it. I'm trying to be forgiving since I'm sure it's never easy to lose a parent. But the constant bickering, their laying-claim on Grandma's possessions, and the way they're treating my mom is just beyond me.

I haven't smoked since the day I found out I was pregnant with my older child (that was four and a half years ago), but the stress is really making me want a cigarette more than anything. I haven't given in to my craving, but that could be due to the lack of smokes immediately available.

This weekend has sucked.
I'm sorry to hear that and that it's causing you stress. They may need you to be the strong one right now, so fight the craving as much as possible.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
So my grandmother, who until yesterday was my last surviving grandparent, died yesterday.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of elderberries hahaha
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
In my "Highlights" section on Facebook (the thing on the right that goes along with the news feed), it shows that people are "Becoming A Fan" of Morgan Freeman's voice.... REALLY??!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I've always wondered about this: I realize the name "GreekChat" may seem like it's referring to the country. Why would a site that's centered around Greece be written in English? And why don't those posters ever catch that?

Old 07-06-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

fine. wear your wolf t-shirt, punk. i'll wear my wolf+eagle+bear+buck t-shirt. it's like you're bringing a knife to a gun fight. you better hope i don't wear my Korea jacket with the tiger on the back.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

what a stupid day

seriously, stupid.

I still have to go run errands. I think I might walk. Or is that too many shirts to carry from the cleaners 10 blocks? I have no idea.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I'm sorry to hear that and that it's causing you stress. They may need you to be the strong one right now, so fight the craving as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks. I'm hanging in there... trying to keep my mind off the craziness going on right now. GC's a great distraction, but I find my posts (particularly the ones I started then deleted) reflect much more negativity than I'd like.

Still smoke-free, btw.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'm hanging in there... trying to keep my mind off the craziness going on right now. GC's a great distraction, but I find my posts (particularly the ones I started then deleted) reflect much more negativity than I'd like.

Still smoke-free, btw.
I'm sorry for your loss. Congratulations, however, on staying smoke-free!

If you have to be negative, it's okay. These posts can always be deleted, like you said, but words can't be taken back. It's a tough time--I was always disappointed how families can sometimes show out after a tragedy.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

What a weekend in Boston/Cambridge - Sox game and post-game drinks Friday, cocktail party and ridiculous view of the fireworks on Saturday, two wedding ceremonies (one Methodist, one Hindu) on Sunday, and a really fun reception. Plus, I got to eat delicious Indian food all weekend long (one of the families owns a couple of really good Indian restaurants in Boston and a couple of the suburbs). And, to end things, I got to have a Gozilla burger at Eagles Deli for lunch.

Wow do I miss living in Boston...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
SydneyK: I am so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

and congrats on going smoke free.

and you have my support as you go through this rough time. Death has a way of bringing out the ugly side of people. Stay strong.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I just found out that my ex is still working the same old pool attendant job that he's had every summer for the past 5 years... I thoroughly enjoy that.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

SydneyK, I am very sorry for your loss, but am happy for you that you're staying smoke-free. *hugs of support*

My reporter boyfriend is going to *love* the fact that I have to pull two stories out of my arse by the end of the day, when NONE of the people I need to talk to for either have gotten back to me. He thinks my life as a PR minion is so cushy. Now I get to live his life for a day. :-p
Old 07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I love thunder.