GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,614
2 members and 1,612 guests
Sarak24034

Old 02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

So does anybody think having 4 invitational round for campuses with 15+ chapters would be helpful?
Just looking at the RFM schedule
Quote:
15-11-7-3 or 15-11-7-2
16-12-8-3 or 16-12-7-2
17-13-8-3 or 17-12-7-2
18-13-8-3 or 18-13-8-2
19-14-9-3 or 19-14-8-2
20-15-9-3 or 20-14-8-2
21-15-9-3 or 21-15-9-2
To go from having 7/9 chapters down to 3/2 chapters seems almost impossible to decide!! Wouldn't having another round help even out the cuts for both the PNMs and the chapters?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
So does anybody think having 4 invitational round for campuses with 15+ chapters would be helpful?
Just looking at the RFM schedule

To go from having 7/9 chapters down to 3/2 chapters seems almost impossible to decide!! Wouldn't having another round help even out the cuts for both the PNMs and the chapters?
Remember, though, that a lot of these run two weekends, so you have a lot of time to think things over between the first and second invitational. Also, the chapters are making more cuts than the PNM's, and the chapters have time to do their research in there.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I remember the story of one group that had 2 full pref parties on Pref Night (the school required that PNMs go to all prefs they were invited to or be dismissed from recruitment) but no one ran to them on Bid Day. Talk about depressing, to say the least.
My recruitment story in a nutshell: As a freshman, I had absolutely no interest in going Greek. FR was held in the fall. Over the summer, I suddenly changed my mind and decided to go through it just to see what would happen. I did have one friend who had planned to rush as sophomore all along, but since I didn’t decide until the summer, I gave up any advantage that a sophomore might have, such as being able to “do my homework” about the chapters, make friends with current members, etc. Nobody in my family had ever joined a fraternity or sorority, and I was basically clueless about the whole process, but was curious about what it would be like. I think our campus, at that time had 16 chapters. For round two, I was invited back to 4 or 5 houses, for round 3 I was invited to 2, and then preffed at one house, which was where I got a bid from (and was very excited about joining). This was also the smallest house on campus, and it closed at the end of that school year, and all of us went alum at that point. (okay, pretty big nutshell, I guess)

I heard a rumor that my sorority only received one member through formal recruitment. And since I went through formal recruitment, if that rumor was true, the one member would be me. Now, because I was so clueless about how rush worked, or what bid day was “supposed” to look like, and because 20+ years later my memories of that time aren’t exactly crystal clear, I still wonder whether that was true. I do remember meeting up with a Chi Omega sister (or maybe more than one) and going to the house after I got my bid. Where there other pledges with me? I can’t remember. There were definitely other pledges at the house that day, so I guess they could have been snap bids. We did eventually recruit additional pledges through COB, and I think had a pledge class of 12 or 14. Of course I think quota was probably somewhere in the 30-40 range, so our class was not enough to bring us up to a level playing field.

I am still in touch with some of my sisters on Facebook. I’m really tempted to ask if that rumor was true. Maybe nobody even remembers anymore. I’m not sure why it still sticks in my mind so much.