GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,603
2 members and 1,601 guests
PiperJarma, speedsters

Old 10-02-2013, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Smith is a women's liberal arts college in Northhampton, MA. The town itself, and the campus are very well-known as having a very large lesbian community and being very LGBT-friendly, progressive, etc. That is what leaves many of us scratching our heads a bit over a student who would go there, then feel like she needs to create some sort of sanctuary for straight students. If someone is going to feel out-of-place among LGBT folks, then Smith is probably not their ideal campus.

If you're interested in reading a book that gives a pretty thorough (fictional but presumably based on the author's real experiences) account of being a student at Smith, you might want to check out Commencement by J.Courtney Sullivan.
Thanks sweetie. I'll have to see if my library has that book.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Smith is a women's liberal arts college in Northhampton, MA. The town itself, and the campus are very well-known as having a very large lesbian community and being very LGBT-friendly, progressive, etc. That is what leaves many of us scratching our heads a bit over a student who would go there, then feel like she needs to create some sort of sanctuary for straight students. If someone is going to feel out-of-place among LGBT folks, then Smith is probably not their ideal campus.

If you're interested in reading a book that gives a pretty thorough (fictional but presumably based on the author's real experiences) account of being a student at Smith, you might want to check out Commencement by J.Courtney Sullivan.
After living as an undergraduate student, graduate student, and staying to work and teach in the immediate Northampton area until a few years ago, I was excited to read this book. Although I enjoyed it, I still don't feel it really got all the nuances of the area. I listened to it on an audiobook, it was an easy listen.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 10-02-2013, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh, that is absolutely disgusting. Sort of like a White Student Union...
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter View Post
Ugh, that is absolutely disgusting. Sort of like a White Student Union...
I wouldn't go so far as to call it disgusting...more like incredibly naive to enroll there and not understand what you're getting into. Unless her grandma went there back in the Seven Sisters days and she thinks nothing has changed since then.