GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,081
0 members and 1,081 guests
No Members online

Old 10-22-2015, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you will get your wish on CSU Los Angeles ...
Saw Facebook posts saying "Everyone gets a Little".
Quota went from 29 in 2014 to 45 in 2015 & I think there were even QA's.

Please note: I have NO official info, but have heard rumors.
If any groups are looking at this campus, a "letter of interest" wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by ChioLu; 10-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
UM - Duluth. I didn't have data from this year, but last year Phi Sig took a ton of new members.
Wasn't that the one where AST announced they were going to colonize this year and then pulled out? I feel like something's going on there to stop an announced colonization but have no idea what it could be.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Wasn't that the one where AST announced they were going to colonize this year and then pulled out? I feel like something's going on there to stop an announced colonization but have no idea what it could be.
You are correct. The colonization was announced last year, and then cancelled by their National Council in August.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since you asked

In no order:
U North Alabama (Q 45, QLY 37, 4 NPC, last colony AGD 1977)
U South Alabama (Q 47, QLY 39, 5 NPC, last colony AGD 1984)
Northern Arizona (Q 72, QLY 65, 8 NPC, last colony KD 2015)
U Central Arkansas (Q 52, QLY 54, 5 NPC, last colony SSS 2008)
CSU - East Bay (Q 48, QLY 44, T 80, 2 NPC, last colony AP 1987)
CSU Fullerton (Q 61, QLY 71, 6 NPC, last colony ZTA 1979)
CSU Los Angeles (Q 45, QLY 29, 2 NPC, last colony AST 1993)
Chapman (Q 60s, 8 NPC, last colony PBP 2015)
San Francisco State (Q 46, QLY 39, 3 NPC, last colony AGD 1991)
George Washington (Q 53ish, QLY 53, 10 NPC, last colony KD 2012)
McNeese State (Q 43, QLY 30, 3 NPC, last colony ZTA 1971-1982)
Nicholls State (Q 55, QLY 48, 3 NPC, last colony AST 1997-2002)
U Louisiana Monroe (Q 42, QLY 40, 3 NPC, last colony SK 1986-2003)
East Tennessee State (Q 50, QLY 50, 4 NPC, last colony AXiD 1996)
U Texas Arlington (Q 50ish, QLY 33, 3 NPC, last colony AXO)
Colgate (Q 50-60, 3 NPC, last colony DDD 1996)

Also, I didn't include Florida, LSU, or Ole Miss because they have current expansion underway. (But we all know the current expansion won't be enough.) I didn't include Alabama because I wasn't sure - is it open? Isn't it?

And most of the toughest, neediest schools have some major barrier to colonization - that's why they're desperate. Usually it's housing, but sometimes campus culture is a major issue.
I don't see ULM expanding anytime soon. There is no problem with growing out of housing. There is a pretty established idea that 3 chapters can survive well, but a fourth will always fail. When SK left campus, ULM was getting 10 women total going through recruitment. It's amazing that the 3 remaining groups all survived that period.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-22-2015, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since you asked

In no order:
U North Alabama (Q 45, QLY 37, 4 NPC, last colony AGD 1977)
U South Alabama (Q 47, QLY 39, 5 NPC, last colony AGD 1984)
Northern Arizona (Q 72, QLY 65, 8 NPC, last colony KD 2015)
U Central Arkansas (Q 52, QLY 54, 5 NPC, last colony SSS 2008)
CSU - East Bay (Q 48, QLY 44, T 80, 2 NPC, last colony AP 1987)
CSU Fullerton (Q 61, QLY 71, 6 NPC, last colony ZTA 1979)
CSU Los Angeles (Q 45, QLY 29, 2 NPC, last colony AST 1993)
Chapman (Q 60s, 8 NPC, last colony PBP 2015)
San Francisco State (Q 46, QLY 39, 3 NPC, last colony AGD 1991)
George Washington (Q 53ish, QLY 53, 10 NPC, last colony KD 2012)
McNeese State (Q 43, QLY 30, 3 NPC, last colony ZTA 1971-1982)
Nicholls State (Q 55, QLY 48, 3 NPC, last colony AST 1997-2002)
U Louisiana Monroe (Q 42, QLY 40, 3 NPC, last colony SK 1986-2003)
East Tennessee State (Q 50, QLY 50, 4 NPC, last colony AXiD 1996)
U Texas Arlington (Q 50ish, QLY 33, 3 NPC, last colony AXO)
Colgate (Q 50-60, 3 NPC, last colony DDD 1996)

Also, I didn't include Florida, LSU, or Ole Miss because they have current expansion underway. (But we all know the current expansion won't be enough.) I didn't include Alabama because I wasn't sure - is it open? Isn't it?

And most of the toughest, neediest schools have some major barrier to colonization - that's why they're desperate. Usually it's housing, but sometimes campus culture is a major issue.
Irishpipes, you are the queen of all statistical data, and I bow down!

I think that some of these schools could have potential, but knowing that many of them are state schools that cater primarly to students within a region, I think it's hard to determine if further colonization is merited without knowing what chapter total is. Graduation rates at some of these types of schools isn't always great, so while quotas seem relatively big, perhaps the chapter total isn't really enough to sustain another chapter if the chapters tend to have a lot of younger members and not so many upperclassmen.

The only one with a total number in the honorable mention list is CSU East Bay. I am not familiar at all with this campus, but the numbers kind of help to make my point. With a quota of 48 and a total of 80, what's happening to those 48 pledges along the way? I appreciate that for some women, a chapter size of 80 may seem too big, but with pledge class of 48, a chapter total of 140 - 160 would seem reasonable if women are hanging in there either academically or just as active members. Then again, maybe that's not the correct total number, and this is all a moot point. Sorry if I'm rambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Should Belmont University(TN) be in its own special category?

I suggest: Schools were the administration needs to realize what's going on.

:-)
I always get my hand smacked when I talk about Belmont, but it's an odd bird of a school. The administration thinks it knows better than anyone what is best for its students. I'll leave it at that.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I know why Texas is a shot in the dark for colonization but what's preventing it at Arizona?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I know why Texas is a shot in the dark for colonization but what's preventing it at Arizona?
Housing
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I still stand by my suggestion that a purpose built high rise apartment would be super cool and would be a huge draw. I'm not talking about REGULAR apartments, but ones where the chapter/shared areas would be on 1 or 2 floors, complete with dining room, TV room, all the stuff of a regular house, and then floor/s for the bedrooms. Then the chapters who all live in that building would have a communal pool, gym, restaurants and shops on the first floor, as would be typical in a luxury high rise apartment building. And having 3 or 4 (or more.. I don't know how tall buildings can go there) chapters on one chunk of ground would be much more space-efficient.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I still stand by my suggestion that a purpose built high rise apartment would be super cool and would be a huge draw. I'm not talking about REGULAR apartments, but ones where the chapter/shared areas would be on 1 or 2 floors, complete with dining room, TV room, all the stuff of a regular house, and then floor/s for the bedrooms. Then the chapters who all live in that building would have a communal pool, gym, restaurants and shops on the first floor, as would be typical in a luxury high rise apartment building. And having 3 or 4 (or more.. I don't know how tall buildings can go there) chapters on one chunk of ground would be much more space-efficient.
You must have seen the plans for Sorority Terrace in Tempe,AZ. It fell through. The numbers didn't work.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Heck, DS, I want to live there now after hearing this description.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The 40 year old in me likes this. Heck the 25 year old in me would have loved this. But having grown up in Texas, which much like the rest of the south, I can assure you that 18 year olds just want the traditional experience. They want the house that looks like all the others. Different is simply not seen as a positive, and the PNM pool doesn't have enough "non-traditional" types to make it a success. AZ, while not in the south, may fit this situation too.

These girls grow up in communities where friends, older sisters, moms and grandmoms lived in a certain style of building. These girls have grown up visiting those buildings. The style may vary somewhat from campus to campus, but the key is the style does't vary within a campus. They have formed an image of what a sorority house looks like, especially on their campus, and they arrive to college wanting that same image.

I am not saying it is right, or even that it is logical. It's probably not unfair to even say it's superficial. But it is how it is. Trying to put that square peg into a round hole just won't work.

Back to me? The second we downsize our house I am looking for a high rise with everything in it. It sounds perfect, but I've come a long way since 18.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Your reasoning is why I would never suggest this at any traditional southern schools. But the Arizona schools draw a lot from California and may be more open to an "urban sophisticate" type setting. I could also see it at some of the urban campuses around the country, like DePaul or NYU where housing is otherwise a complete non-starter.

But no, I didn't know there was ever a plan floated. I guess I'm just psychic that way
Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
The holdup at Arizona is definitely housing. There is no room on the row with the other sororities and the plan for a high rise which was floated last year didn't get passed the talking stage. Still hoping that the university will release a parking lot or two. With quota at over 100 and chapter total ~300 I'd think that at least 2 and maybe 3 more chapters could be supported.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Your reasoning is why I would never suggest this at any traditional southern schools. But the Arizona schools draw a lot from California and may be more open to an "urban sophisticate" type setting. I could also see it at some of the urban campuses around the country, like DePaul or NYU where housing is otherwise a complete non-starter.

But no, I didn't know there was ever a plan floated. I guess I'm just psychic that way
Yes, it was very well received by the women on campus but the I/NPs stopped it because the money just didn't work. Fees would have been way higher than currently even though the complex would have been competitive with other off campus housing (and this was also off campus and it was sorority driven, not ASU)
Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh. Interesting. I wonder what could be adapted to make it work.