GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,527
1 members and 2,526 guests
fmanning
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

SDT hasn't participated in Bama's formal Recruitment for probably over a decade now. They haven't been in their house for quite a while either, though I can't recall exactly when that occurred. They simply do not have the numbers to financially or physically support either.

We all wish this would change, but honestly it would require several years of substantial growth to get them to the point of doing either. According to UA's Greek Life Sorority Growth Report that isn't happening.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Smart move by Alpha Phi to already have the Beta Mu chapter website up and running.

Alpha Phi Alabama

"The Beta Mu chapter of Alpha Phi was established in 1932. Following the chapter’s closing in 1963, Alpha Phi actively sought an opportunity to return to the Alabama campus. Alpha Phi’s return to Alabama in Fall 2008 will mark an exciting new chapter in Beta Mu’s long history with the University of Alabama."
Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

"There was a post in another thread where someone from Bama said A Phi will be in the SDT house till 2010, by that time their new house will be built and then DG will go into the SDT house."

Yes, this is the information to which I was referring.

"maybe she'll explain what she meant. usually when someone starts a comment like she did,"no offense blah, blah blah", they know they are being offensive."

I had no idea that what I typed would be so controversial. Of course, I want the new colonies to be successful. And, I would like SDT to have the membership numbers to 'reclaim' its home.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Smart move by Alpha Phi to already have the Beta Mu chapter website up and running.

Alpha Phi Alabama
I've noticed a lot of groups are doing this now. Pi Beta Phi has websites up for all three of its new colonies for this year. It's a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by libelle View Post
"There was a post in another thread where someone from Bama said A Phi will be in the SDT house till 2010, by that time their new house will be built and then DG will go into the SDT house."

Yes, this is the information to which I was referring.

"maybe she'll explain what she meant. usually when someone starts a comment like she did,"no offense blah, blah blah", they know they are being offensive."

I had no idea that what I typed would be so controversial. Of course, I want the new colonies to be successful. And, I would like SDT to have the membership numbers to 'reclaim' its home.
Do you even know if it's a goal of the SDT chapter to grow its numbers and claim its home? I don't mean this in a bad way. SDT at Alabama is by all accounts doing a cool thing and filling a niche on campus as a smaller group, with the approval of their nationals. Maybe that's the way they like it....? Certainly we all wish them success in whatever their goals are. I don't think anyone had said otherwise. I think that's why some found your post controversial. Because it seemed liked you were implying that because people were celebrating A Phi and DG, they were somehow wishing failure on SDT...
Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my daughter's friends at Alabama is interested in the Alpha Phi colony (she's a sophomore), so I'll find out how things go for her. I know that she missed one of the recruitment events they had last spring due to a prior commitment, but she does not plan to go through formal rush again.

As for Georgia Tech, my daughter said that they were so impressed with Alpha Phi and their presentation was so good that it almost made her want to be an Alpha Phi! (she was on Panhellenic during the expansion process). I think if they can go on to two places as different as Alabama and Georgia Tech and really "get it" at both, their expansion team is to be commended.

Last edited by NUBlue&Blue; 07-26-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2008, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi has a two year lease on the SDT house. Alpha Phi is doing some light remodeling/heavy redecorating over the summer because the fraternity men didn't necessarily take the best care of the house, and it was very outdated. Previously, the SDT house was occupied by Lambda Chi Alpha in 07-08 and by Beta Theta Pi in 05-06 and 06-07. SDT will have the option to lease out the house again in 2009 or retain the house for SDT membership. That is totally up to their house corporation depending on the current enrollment of their chapter.

Alpha Phi will participate in the first two days (round 1) of recruitment. After the first round, Alpha Phi will serve as a break station during the parties. Each PNM could have something like 5 breaks during philanthropy days, 3 or so during skit day, and one during pref. This doesn't count girls who have breaks because they do not have a full schedule. This way Alpha Phi will have tons of time to visit with PNMs and the PNMs will be able to learn a lot about Alpha Phi during recruitment. On Bid Day, there will be opportunity for snap bidding to occur for chapters that have participated in recruitment. After Bid Day, no chapter except Alpha Phi can offer a bid for three weeks. During this three weeks, Alpha Phi will be able to do their colonization recruitment and give out bids to the women who they have selected.

There are currently right at 1450 women registered, so I think there are plenty of women (maybe too many) to go around.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
Alpha Phi will participate in the first two days (round 1) of recruitment. After the first round, Alpha Phi will serve as a break station during the parties. Each PNM could have something like 5 breaks during philanthropy days, 3 or so during skit day, and one during pref. This doesn't count girls who have breaks because they do not have a full schedule. This way Alpha Phi will have tons of time to visit with PNMs and the PNMs will be able to learn a lot about Alpha Phi during recruitment. On Bid Day, there will be opportunity for snap bidding to occur for chapters that have participated in recruitment. After Bid Day, no chapter except Alpha Phi can offer a bid for three weeks. During this three weeks, Alpha Phi will be able to do their colonization recruitment and give out bids to the women who they have selected.
Bama did a great job with this. I hope a lot of girls keep very open minded to try the "new thing". Having Alpha Phi serve as a break station is a wonderful idea.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Bamagirl09, thanks very much for your post. We appreciate the first-hand info. Here's hoping Sigma Delta Tau will be able to reclaim their house for themselves soon, too!

Roll Tide!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Very cute Bama Alpha Phi website! I hope recruitment goes great for them. And I agree with the above posters, holding recruitment breaks at the Phi house was a good decision for Panhellenic to make.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Do you even know if it's a goal of the SDT chapter to grow its numbers and claim its home? I don't mean this in a bad way. SDT at Alabama is by all accounts doing a cool thing and filling a niche on campus as a smaller group, with the approval of their nationals. Maybe that's the way they like it....? Certainly we all wish them success in whatever their goals are. I don't think anyone had said otherwise. I think that's why some found your post controversial. Because it seemed liked you were implying that because people were celebrating A Phi and DG, they were somehow wishing failure on SDT...
IMO, SDT is showing an uncommon amount of smarts in letting this chapter fill a niche and be what it is, rather than giving them constant pressure and threats if their numbers don't measure up to that of the other groups. Numbers have zero to do with "success" - happy and fulfilled members do.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
IMO, SDT is showing an uncommon amount of smarts in letting this chapter fill a niche and be what it is, rather than giving them constant pressure and threats if their numbers don't measure up to that of the other groups. Numbers have zero to do with "success" - happy and fulfilled members do.
I know that many of us admire SDT on several campuses because they do fill a niche - their HQ's support of these chapters is wonderful.

My hope is that the SDTs in a few years end up with a redecorated house that is financially stable, DG and Alpha Phi are able to recruit and build their own houses, and the NPC sorority system is strengthened overall.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Update: As of this morning Bama has exactly 1500 PNMs registered with less than 2 weeks to go before Recruitment starts. At this level and for chapter planning purposes, last week Panhellenic projected quota to be in the 77-90 range (including upperclassmen). That may still increase depending on how many more sign up.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

is that(projected quota figure) set with consideration for the women who might drop out of formal to go alpha phi?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

This would be why I've written an unreal number of recs for Bama then. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Update: As of this morning Bama has exactly 1500 PNMs registered with less than 2 weeks to go before Recruitment starts. At this level and for chapter planning purposes, last week Panhellenic projected quota to be in the 77-90 range (including upperclassmen). That may still increase depending on how many more sign up.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

What is the Alabama Action Social listed at 7:30 on Monday evening? Is it important for PNMs to attend, and if so, what is the recommended dress for this?

Also, my daughter isn't living in the dorm; is she still expected to attend the mandatory dorm meeting?
Closed Thread