GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,134
0 members and 1,134 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

question

not trying to be a smart aleck, but...

if democratic senators keep getting chosen for cabinet positions, and let's assume for this discussion they are approved, what happens to their senate seat? Do they have another election for those states? And what happens if Obama appoints his senate buddies to all the cabinet positions? Couldn't they (the dems) loose control of the senate if he does that?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
not trying to be a smart aleck, but...

if democratic senators keep getting chosen for cabinet positions, and let's assume for this discussion they are approved, what happens to their senate seat? Do they have another election for those states? And what happens if Obama appoints his senate buddies to all the cabinet positions? Couldn't they (the dems) loose control of the senate if he does that?
It varies from state to state, but in all but a few states, the governor will appoint someone to finish the term of the senator-named-cabinet secretary.

You can be pretty sure that Obama will not recruit anyone from the Senate unless (1) the governor of the state from which the senator comes is a Democrat who will appoint a Democrat to finish the term and (2) the state from which the senator comes is a state that typically elects Democrats. Same for anyone from the House of Representatives.

But am I forgetting someone? Has there been a senator named for a cabinet position other than Clinton? (Not counting Biden, of course.)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But am I forgetting someone? Has there been a senator named for a cabinet position other than Clinton? (Not counting Biden, of course.)
I don't think so - the only other name that came to mind was Daschle, and he has been a lobbyist since he was defeated in his 2004 re-election bid, I think.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
It varies from state to state, but in all but a few states, the governor will appoint someone to finish the term of the senator-named-cabinet secretary.

You can be pretty sure that Obama will not recruit anyone from the Senate unless (1) the governor of the state from which the senator comes is a Democrat who will appoint a Democrat to finish the term and (2) the state from which the senator comes is a state that typically elects Democrats. Same for anyone from the House of Representatives.

Dachelle, I think, or however you spell it. I thought I read something about him being maybe Atorney General or Sec. of Commerence or something.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
Dachelle, I think, or however you spell it. I thought I read something about him being maybe Atorney General or Sec. of Commerence or something.
See my post above - he's going to be the HHS Secretary, but he was voted out of the Senate in 2004 and has been working as a lobbyist for Alston & Bird (a large law firm) since that time.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
See my post above - he's going to be the HHS Secretary, but he was voted out of the Senate in 2004 and has been working as a lobbyist for Alston & Bird (a large law firm) since that time.
yeah, i read after i posted, sorry. and thanks.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

and for anyone who might think it interesting, check out the names on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAVE_Act

I know it's wiki, but I wanted to be neutral.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
not a senator, but...

I for one am happy that Bill Richardson has been proposed for Secretary of Commerce.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^
yeah, I think he'll do okay