GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,128
0 members and 2,128 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Preston's Fall 2009 Fraternity Recruitment

So, where to begin? Well, I suppose I'll begin at the beginning.

Ever since high school I've wanted to join a fraternity, even though I wasn't really sure what they were/did. I had been duped into believing that fraternities were just greek-lettered drinking clubs, but to teenage high school me that seemed just fine. It wasn't until about second semester of my senior year in high school when I started really examining fraternities closely. What I saw, I liked. Fraternities, it turned out, weren't just about parties; they did philanthropy, were huge sources of school spirit and helped create lifelong bonds between their members. Of course, that all sounded pretty good to me, so I began digging deeper.

Before I go into more detail, allow me to explain a bit about my university. It's a medium-sized school in Florida but not a particularly old one, and most of the GLOs have only been there since the mid-'90s. There's no Fraternity Row either; we're "supposed" to get one by 2011. None of that really mattered to me though; after all, age and houses don't make a fraternity, the people do.

Anyhow, I started looking at the various fraternities and found two that I really liked. I'll call them Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer. Tom Cruise was initially the one I thought I was sure to go with; their facebook portrayed them as the stereotypical "Animal House" and they always seemed to have something going on. I kept Val Kilmer in the back of my mind, but I was sure that come fall I'd be rushing Tom Cruise.

Then, the fall semester started. I was finally in college! I took every opportunity I could to learn about the various organizations, both GLO and otherwise. I made it a point to show up to every event the GLOs did on the housing lawn and try and socialize with some of the members, figuring that rushing was an important decision and I had to check out what everyone had to offer before committing. None of the other GLOs seemed to fit with my personality though, and so it was still the Tom Cruise-Val Kilmer decision with Tom Cruise firmly in the lead.

Over time though, Tom Cruise's lead started lessening. The members, despite being one of the largest chapters on campus, were never around. When they were, their conversations with me seemed to revolve around "we have the best parties with the hottest girls." In addition, the more I held my ear to the ground the more I heard about them, and it wasn't all good. Re-enter Val Kilmer. They had a table set up one day on the covered walkway, and I went over to introduce myself. They all seemed genuinely interested in me as a person and seemed impressed with my goals for school and life in general. A few days later, I got an invitation to the chapter President's labor day party. There I got to meet most of the guys, and it was sealed: I was rushing Val Kilmer.

Rush week is the 21st and I'll be sure to keep this thread going with stories and experiences as much as I can.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2009, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Keep an open mind about other houses as well. Also, this is really important, but watch what you say and how you act around the brothers. Sometimes something that might seem really innocent to you can raise a red flag.

I haven't read a fraternity recruitment story in a while so this will be interesting.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice. I've been acting natural around the brothers and they all seem to have taken a liking to me, but of course I'll only know for sure on the 25th when they do interviews for bids. My campus has a really tiny Greek scene, only like 7 IFC fraternities, so I've made it a point to talk to people from every one and see what they're about. The first day of Rush Week is an Open House from what I've been told, where all the members of all the fraternities come out and you can meet them all before you decide who to rush. So, I might end up going elsewhere but for the time being I think I'm pretty set.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, quick update: Tom Cruise has pretty much dropped out of the running, but a challenger has appeared. We'll call them Don Johnson. I haven't really talked to them in as much detail as I have Val Kilmer, but they're having an informational tonight I'm going to. They're one of the older and larger fraternities nationally-speaking but the newest colony on our campus, having just been established last year. I'm a bit apprehensive about them for that reason, because to be honest I don't know much about how colony vs. chapter works. Still I'm going to give them a chance. Word is they're looking at having one of the largest rush classes on campus and will probably have their charter next semester. While I wouldn't be considered a founding member, being part of a chapter in its colony stage is, to my understanding, something of a unique experience. I'll post later tonight on how the informational meeting goes.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You know Preston, you sound like a good guy.

I wish you the best of luck with finding a house. I know being in a fraternity has meant the world to my son; he has made lifelong friends, and it has greatly enhanced his college experience. I hope you find the same thing, and it sounds like you are going about things in the right way, keeping an open mind, and being open to new experiences and people.

Let us know!
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

good luck preston! glad to hear that you are keeping all your options open.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I got a chuckle out of the fact that Don Johnson is an "older fraternity" nationally. I am not sure what Don Johnson would even look like if he popped up on tv these days!

Good luck, Preston. Keep an open mind!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

lol, my code is completely spur-of-the-moment. The first day, my mind was on Top Gun, today it happened to be Miami Vice.

Anyhow, to the informational. Don Johnson's guys talked to the few of us that showed up (there were supposed to be more but the program board decided to switch their room at the last minute). They definitely seem like they're going places: their colony is only 30 strong but they're looking to double that after this rush. They've also set goals for GPA, school spirit and philanthropy which I can definitely get on board with and contribute to. It's nice to know that these guys, despite only existing for 6 months, have a clear-cut vision of where they're going and how to get there.

The only negative that can be said of them is that I didn't really feel much connection to the six or seven guys that came out. I can't really judge the whole group by their board though, so I guess it'll all be decided on the 21st.

Val Kilmer vs. Don Johnson! Who will emerge victorious? Stay tuned!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

oh this is a good one. and a guy giving details! yay!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I am loving the mental image of Val Kilmer and Don Johnson in a knock-down drag-out. Throw in Chuck Norris and I'll laugh Diet Coke right out of my nose!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, Rush Week has arrived at last. I must say as a first-generation potential Greek I had no idea how big this week is to the fraternities. Everywhere you go there are banners, letters and flyers hanging. For all the festivities and general excitement, you'd think it was some sort of holiday. It's quite entertaining but a tad bit overwhelming for this Freshman finding his way in the world. Still, I can't say I'm not enjoying every minute of it.

Val Kilmer made their name known pretty much immediately; walking down the main walkway toward class, I was greeted by a giant "RUSH *VAL KILMER'S LETTERS*" banner hanging from the balcony. The guys at their table saw me and called my name, so I stopped and chatted a bit while I waited for my class to open up. They really seem to have taken a liking to me and I can pretty much guarantee that bid or no bid I'll be friends with them throughout college. I talked to some of Don Johnson's guys, and while they seem nice and really driven at the end of the day I just can't see myself calling them my brothers. Val Kilmer is where I'm going, and I can say honestly it's one of the surest decisions I've made in awhile.

I don't know how much of rush week events/festivities are for public knowledge so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to report, but if I get in I'll be sure to mention it.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Preston327, I liked the way you named the fraternites you are interested, Tom Cruise, Val Kilmer and Don Johnson. Very creative idea. Best of Luck to you with Rush!!!!

ZBT:" Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present & Impacting the Future."
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, what a day today was! The first official day of Rush, it turned out, was more of an informational session. I walked around for awhile gathering info on all the fraternities that were out there, and even made it a point to speak to Tom Cruise's people. Apparently, the rumors were just that, rumors. They're a really nice group of guys and I could see myself as one of them. Once again, the race is too close to call.

I did find one cool thing out though that'll definitely help me decide: apparently, you can attend more than one fraternity's Rush events. You only need to make a decision if you get more than one bid. As it so happens, Tom Cruise's and Val Kilmer's respective events for tomorrow are at different times, so I'm going to go to both and see how I interact with both groups. Hopefully that should give me a better picture of where I want to be.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Good plan, Preston! Good luck finding your fit.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston327 View Post
As it so happens, Tom Cruise's and Val Kilmer's respective events for tomorrow are at different times, so I'm going to go to both and see how I interact with both groups. Hopefully that should give me a better picture of where I want to be.

Great idea, and good on you for keeping an open mind. Have fun! Good luck!