GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,529
0 members and 2,529 guests
No Members online

Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Friends in different organization

I have a good topic:

When i went though rush, their was a group of us that thoguht we all be in the same house, but we ended up in different house. I rushed TKE, my suitemates ended up Kappa Sig, one of our other friends ended up SAE and his roommate rushed Sig Pi. Two other of us ended up Sig Ep. Even though it was strange at first, because some of us ended up in houses that have tenison between them and some of us would come back feeling different about each other, but after we got intiated, it was all different. We all promised no matter what we were going to be friends and we were. I feel that is the greatest example of how we are all Greek together. I was wondering if you guys have any stories such as mine.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I developed two close friendships while I was going through rush. We had agreed not to compare notes, but ended up at most of the same rounds! I can remember all three of us looking at each other at Pref, thinking, "I wonder...?" It was good to see that the one did become a pledge sister with me, but we both stayed friends with Peggy (who went Theta). A couple years later, both Peggy and I ended up on Panhel together!

I should mention that, when I got married, I had an equal amount of ADPis and Phi Mus as bridesmaids!!

Last edited by honeychile; 06-15-2005 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

As I mentioned in a previous post, my campus had a very open Panhellenic atmosphere which encouraged strong friendships between chapters.

While some of my best friends are ADPi's, there are a few DDD's, a KD, a Chi Omega and a Pi Phi that I consider to be my "sisters," too, and scores of other Greek friends!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaEtaKP
When I pledged, one of my roommates joined another sorority and the other stayed independent. I separated from them a little bit in the beginning... while I was pledging just because it took up time, and I had a lot of people that I wanted to meet. We are all still best friends, and I sort of consider them my sisters as well (in a different way). At my school, about 65% or more of the girls are greek, so of course I have friends in other sororities, and I also have quite a few independent friends. Sometimes, it's nice when I'm on sorority overload to come back down to Earth with some of them.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005
My core group of friends freshman year were the girls from the cheerleading team. Three of us became Pi Phis, one a Kappa, and one a Chi-O, and we've all remained friends throughout our college years. I did end up finding closer friends within my sorority, but have managed to also maintain friendships in the other houses.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:35 PM

I have a bunch of friends in other organizations. At UCF alone, my best friends were in KD, TriDelta and Pi Phi. I also lived with an AXiD and a KKG.
From other schools, I have friends that were members of TriDelta, DG, DPhiE, AEPhi, and ChiO.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:21 PM

My closest non-DZ friends in college were (are) 2 Chi Omegas, a Tri-Delt and a Kappa. I also had a bunch of GDI friends through my work on the school newspaper.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

When I went through Rush, one of my closest friends from High School decided to rush with me. She accepted a bid from AXiD and I picked someone else. A bunch of the girls in my group during rush went ZTA, and one of the girls i got attached to during rush is now the ZTA chapter president (from what ive seen, haven't confirmed it yet).

One of my good friends just crossed and has become a sister of Sigma Lambda Gamma (#20). I'm proud of her too.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

At Duke we have deferred recruitment (formal recruitment in January). Though there are pros and cons to this system, one major benefit is you become friends with freshmen women your first semester in college without any letters attached to you. Some of them ended up pledging DG with me, but others joined other sororities or stayed independent. I've maintained closer friendships with some of them (Pi Phis and Tri Deltas) than some women in my own pledge class!

Oh, and we also don't have sorority housing at Duke so often times DGs lived with their friends in other sororities. Then when you went to hang out with your sister you'd meet even more sorority women. It definitely strengthened Greek unity.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chioprincess
Wink

I love having other Greek friends. When I went on a vacation to Pennsylvania I met a Phi sig from Muhlenberg and she is one of my closest friends right now. One of my good friends is a Kappa from FSU. Also on campus I had a lot of friends in KD, and when I was president one of my closest friends was the president of ZTA.

I think it's the whole bonding thing, that we can each relate to our problems, because most of the time it is the same. During recruitment last year one of the KD's was having a hard time choosing between chio and kd and after bid day she came to me gave me a hug and promised that we would always be friends. I sorta adopted her as my kd lil.. he he and we are still pretty close.

You have to branch out because as much as you love your sisters sometimes you just need a break.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

When I started My Local, I had backing from all of the Fraternitys on Campus. Why, because I got to know them.

The TKE Advisor did a lot of behind the scences work with the College and LXA. I am still in
touch with Him to this day.

In reading Our Petition to become a Chapter of LXA, (I found this digging through "stuff') it was rewarding about what each Fraternity/Sorority had to say about us.

Even as a Local for 1 School Year and a year before I graduated, I was still friends with many in other Greek Organizations.

Now in the present, I consider many others out side of College, LXA and GCers friends as I have talked with many on the Ma Bell connection.

I have found more Greek togetherness on GC than I have ever seen at a local level.

That seems to be the problem today, We are going to kick your ass because You are not My Brother/Sister.

Da, We as Greeks are in the minority of College life. Banding together will on enhance our stature with the Community and the College.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-15-2005, 06:32 PM

I have a very good friend who is a DZ (you may remember that she was featured in an article I posted here a while back). After I joined my chapter, she got interested in Greek Life. She told me she'd initially been very anti-greek due to her anti-greek boyfriend and best friend. Also, she wasn't sure what the sororities would make of her visual impairment.

But seeing the fun I and her other greek friends had, she decided to ask me how to go about joining a chapter. I told her who was doing COB at that time (since it was spring). She visited a few chapters (mine included), but decided that she was meant to be a DZ. Of course I would've loved to have her in my chapter, but after seeing her face, you could tell that's where her heart was.

After she got her bid, we exchanged greek gifts over lunch. She's now one of her chapters' most enthusiastic members, so you DZ's are very lucky to have her.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

My two best friends were an AXiD and a KD at UCF. I had several friends who were Kappas and Alpha Chis at FSU. Several other friends were Phi Mus at UF. My oldest friend was a ZTA at Winthrop.

From my college, I was great friends w/ a ZTA (she was a bridesmaid!). Speaking of bridesmaids -- several of these friends that I'm mentioning were bridesmaids (in all I had two ZTAs, an AXiD and a KD). More from college: I was good friends w/ an Alpha Chi, and also had friends in DZ and Phi Mu.

Now that I'm in an Alumnae Panhellenic, I'm getting to be friends w/ women from every NPC!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

i became friends with my dorm next door neighbor-we met on the first day you could move in. we were in the same recruitment group and she pledged alpha gamma delta. they were our back door neighbors, so we popped back and forth when we both moved in to our respective houses.she was the one i confided in when i was imagining all sorts of bad things happening during my initiation-she encouraged me to calm down and assured me that nothing bad would happen-that these girls were my sisters and would not do anything to hurt me or embarass me(alpha gam had already held their initiation). it was her words that kept me from chickening out as my initiation date approached. and of course, she was right! i was also friends with girls on my dorm floor who became phi mus and thetas. had friends in kkg , dz and tri delta.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Although my best friends are ADPis, I live with another ADPi, 2 KDs, a Chi O, and 4 ZTAs. (and one unaffiliated girl.) Last year I lived with 5 Phi Taus in place of the Zetas.