GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,320
3 members and 1,317 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 09-23-2011, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm surprised that with as much disdain that they seem to show for NPCs that the PHC is helping them out like this. Now there's a group of women who understand that letting the low man on the totem pole go out hurts the whole system.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 09-23-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Dartmouth has a VERY interesting Greek history, at least according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmou..._organizations
Old 09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

I found their website to be annoying.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Yeah, there is that.

I particularly enjoyed their misuse of terminology i.e., continuing to refer to the chapter as a colony and all the members having to "depledge" Kappa Alpha Theta to become a local. I had to read it more than once to figure out what they were trying to say.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Yeah, there is that.

I particularly enjoyed their misuse of terminology i.e., continuing to refer to the chapter as a colony and all the members having to "depledge" Kappa Alpha Theta to become a local. I had to read it more than once to figure out what they were trying to say.
I can't believe I read that much of their website. LOL. I found it interesting and respect their right and ability to become a local. It was just something about the tone of their site beginning with the loooooooong "we are dancers, we are doctors, we are..."; then the account of the history with Kappa Alpha Theta; and ending with the updates on where the sisters are now (as of a couple of years ago).

That's their local and their right. It is good that they edited their site out of respect for Kappa Alpha Theta, including the previous chapter's Kappa Alpha Thetas who they claim to still keep in contact with.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And not very well written.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And not very well written.
Like a fly-by-night blog entry?
Old 09-23-2011, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Dartmouth's history

The *odd* thing for me is that there are a *lot* of local fraternities and sororities at Dartmouth who were once part of National organizations and left due to what they considered discriminatory rules on membership, by race, religion or even gender. (Dartmouth is probably one of about 3 or 4 schools in the Northeast that most pushed the idea of non-descrimination clauses for the fraternities on campus in the 1950s and 1960s.)

Somehow not being part of Kappa Alpha Theta because they didn't want to have to hide their booze just doesn't rise to the same level.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know we use the term "double secret probation" jokingly on here, but I can't believe they used it on their website...unless Theta actually has such a thing. It seems like a silly term, though, since most probations are decidedly not secret.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I know we use the term "double secret probation" jokingly on here, but I can't believe they used it on their website...unless Theta actually has such a thing. It seems like a silly term, though, since most probations are decidedly not secret.
Well, it is at Dartmouth, the model for the fictional Faber College. Maybe it's a Dartmouth thing.

Yes, I kid.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Somehow not being part of Kappa Alpha Theta because they didn't want to have to hide their booze just doesn't rise to the same level.
No, it just greases the wheels for all chapters on that campus to view affiliation with nationals as something that's optional, fluid, and even reversible. This is something unique to Dartmouth that sits alongside the universal Ivy League perspective that they don't need the national credential for networking purposes, as the university and the chapter will provide all the inter/national connections they need. That's pretty widespread even on campuses where there's little to no history of locals (like Penn).
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
No, it just greases the wheels for all chapters on that campus to view affiliation with nationals as something that's optional, fluid, and even reversible. This is something unique to Dartmouth that sits alongside the universal Ivy League perspective that they don't need the national credential for networking purposes, as the university and the chapter will provide all the inter/national connections they need. That's pretty widespread even on campuses where there's little to no history of locals (like Penn).
I find that so interesting.

It is probably not uncommon for chapters across councils and conferences to not want to abide by every aspect of ritual, policies, and guidelines. If they get caught not abiding, it seems like most chapters prefer to abide than get shut down especially if becoming a local is not considered an option. When DST chapters have their charters revoked, it is a big deal and a local sorority that was once a DST chapter would not be given much respect.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I find that so interesting.

It is probably not uncommon for chapters across councils and conferences to not want to abide by every aspect of ritual, policies, and guidelines. If they get caught not abiding, it seems like most chapters prefer to abide than get shut down especially if becoming a local is not considered an option. When DST chapters have their charters revoked, it is a big deal and a local sorority that was once a DST chapter would not be given much respect.
I think the situations are very different for the NPHC fraternities and sororites especially on an HBCU chapter than they are with an NIC/NPC group.

Let's say that Sigma Alpha Epsilon (just to pick an NIC) gets its charter revoked at Eastern Michigan University and they can't come back for five years. There is *absolutely* no guarantee that Sigma Alpha Epsilon will come back at the end of that time, the school may not have any fraternity housing in five years because another NIC fraternity has come on campus and grabbed the house. SAE will have to wait for the school to decide to expand its greek life to come back and the school administration may just simply forget about them. An SAE legacy who comes to school two years after their charter is pulled is just out of luck.

OTOH, let's say DST is revoked at Norfolk State University for 5 years. The school and the sorority fully expect when it is revoked that in 5 years, DST will be back on campus with a line with full support of the local graduate chapter. And presuming a DST legacy comes to campus during the banning (presuming this doesn't cause her to switch schools), there is always waiting it out and going graduate. (and *all* of the NPHC brothers and sisters *know* this). There aren't going to be any locals derived from a DST chapter.

*Very* different.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I know we use the term "double secret probation" jokingly on here, but I can't believe they used it on their website...unless Theta actually has such a thing.
Yes, it's "double secret probation" for everyone, everywhere, anytime we feel like it.

And now I suppose you're expecting to see photos of our catsuits, our sequined stockings, our hats (see? you didn't even know there was a Theta hat, did you?), our official vehicles we use to transport our members, and our real badges (not the ones you all *think* are Theta badges).

ha. ha. ha. Me, I'm just going to throw a few ADPis down their Velvet Volcano and start a little cat fight. I think I'll go pick on Honeychile.

yes I'm kidding too. Move over on the sofa, MC.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
OTOH, let's say DST is revoked at Norfolk State University for 5 years. The school and the sorority fully expect when it is revoked that in 5 years, DST will be back on campus with a line with full support of the local graduate chapter.
Whether at a non-HBCU or an HBCU, this is not true. When a Delta chapter loses its charter (which is different than suspension, probation, not being allowed to have membership intake, or being dormant for whatever reasons), it is about much more than just "let's wait 5 years." If it is a matter of waiting and putting the chapter essentially on hold for a few years, the chapter will usually be put on probation or suspension. The chapter will generally not lose its charter. I was talking about locals being formed from chapters that have lost their charters and the members decide to depledge.

Quote:
And presuming a DST legacy comes to campus during the banning (presuming this doesn't cause her to switch schools), there is always waiting it out and going graduate. (and *all* of the NPHC brothers and sisters *know* this).
We have alumnae chapters, not graduate chapters so aspirants go alumnae. There are aspirants (legacies or not) who join other sororities when there is no Delta chapter or they do not like the chapter. Switching schools solely because there is no chapter or you were denied by the chapter is not as common as people assume. And the aspirants who decide to form a local sorority or join a non-NPHC/non-NPC sorority are not prohibited from pursuing Delta at the alumnae level.

I do not know what you mean by "and all of the NPHC brothers and sisters know this." You were talking about aspirants.

Quote:
There aren't going to be any locals derived from a DST chapter.
There theoretically could be if the chapter loses its charter and the members depledged (or were expelled by Delta) rather than graduating and remaining a Delta. It has yet to happen for a number of reasons and, like I said, they would not receive much respect. That does not make it impossible since times change. So, with that said, I am really intrigued by how some locals are formed and what that means for future students who may have wanted to join the national sorority or fraternity as a student.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-23-2011 at 04:53 PM.