GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,145
1 members and 1,144 guests
3DGator

Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Several girls that are friends of my daughter are rushing this year at the Capstone and I have heard great things from all of them. Of course the heat is a factor, but they all seem to be holding up well. Remember, they are younger than most of us...haha!
One of the girls, I will call her Abby, received 14 invitations back for Philanthropy round and has nothing but great things to say about each of the houses. The second girl, whom I will call Elizabeth, received 13 invitations back and is having a great time as well. Thirdly, I will call this girl Anna, received 9 invitations back for Philathropy. There are 2 or 3 other girls that are rushing, but I haven't heard from them. I will post any news if I hear anything!
All of them are upbeat and thrilled with the houses they are returning to. Each of the girls has a rec to all of the sororities and one of the girls is a legacy to two different houses.
I will continue to keep you posted further if you wish!
Good Luck to all PNM's and their families!!!
Roll Tide!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

glad to hear that your daughters friends are happy with their choices and are having a good experience. good luck to them all.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quota

Has anyone heard what quota is supposed to be?

I haven't heard many updates from the PNMs but hope to tonight or tomorrow as Serious Night approaches!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

upperclass recruitmentat alabama

what information can you give about upperclassman recruitment for all sororities at alabama?
i hear there is a separate quota?
is that good or bad for the girls involved as upperclassmen?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald56 View Post
what information can you give about upperclassman recruitment for all sororities at alabama?
My last year there was the first year they did this...That year we were able to pledge 3 upperclassmen in addition to our freshman quota. I think it is GREAT for for older girls involved!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonald56 View Post
It's great because previously, they pretty much just didn't get bids.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Man! I am just finding out about all sorts of people from my past during this recruitment season.

Apparently a girl I went to HS with is currently an ADPi at Bama!

Good luck to all the girls out there, looking forward to the bid-day results.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh

How many PNMs have been totally dropped for one reason or another - either no invites back or decided not to go through with it? My daughter is still holding up well, although I am not. She was finally dropped by the two more "elite/Old Row" sororities that I couldn't imagine her pledging, and by her second choice house. That leaves her with invites to Skit Day at her first choice, third choice, and one she previously expressed little interest in. She really thought she was doing well at Choice #2, and was surprised to be dropped. If she is invited back to all three for tomorrow, should she list all three on her bid card and hope for the best, risking disappointment if she is matched with #3, or only list 1 and 2, still hoping for the best? I am no help here.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:24 PM

If she would rather stab her eye out with a fork and burst into flames than be in number 3, she shouldn't list them.

But tell her to give them one more chance tomorrow before she makes that decision. It could be third choice or not being Greek at all (although I hope that's not the case).

There are girls on here who haven't liked a group at all through rush, and then got to Pref and, if not fell in love with them, decided there was more to them than they thought. Only she can decide.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If she would rather stab her eye out with a fork and burst into flames than be in number 3, she shouldn't list them.

But tell her to give them one more chance tomorrow before she makes that decision. It could be third choice or not being Greek at all (although I hope that's not the case).

There are girls on here who haven't liked a group at all through rush, and then got to Pref and, if not fell in love with them, decided there was more to them than they thought. Only she can decide.
Yup. She should at least take a closer look at #3. She could have been discounting them all along in favor of other groups. She now has to consider her choices at present.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Tomorrow....

Does anyone know what time the PNMs find out who they were invited back to for serious night tomorrow?? Any word on how it's going? I still have not heard a peep.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Almost finished at Bama...

Hey Everyone,

My daughter Kristen (DZ at the University of Alabama) is going through recruitment from the other side of the sorority house door for the first time. She is exhausted from the many days of preparation preceding recruitment and the toil of hosting 1,400 plus girls in record high temperatures. It has been fascinating to hear the stories accompanying recruitment. Without violating any DZ secrets, protocol, etc., she has generically told me tales about vomiting PNMs, her "rush crush", frozen air conditioners, voting on PNMs until 5:00 AM, and other equally notable items. Let me also say it is much easier being Sorority Dad versus PNM Dad! All the GreekChat folks are once more providing tons of support to the nail-biters frequenting the forum. Great job, Ladies and Gents! You were in my corner last year and I thank you again. Kristen has enjoyed her experience with DZ passionately, to say the least. Good luck to all the Bama PNMs and their supportive parents!

David (BamaDad DZ)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

HI BamaDadDZ!!! I was wondering if we would hear from you!!!

Vomiting pnms? Wasn't there a story somewhere about a very pregnant pnm at Alabama not too many years ago? Or did I dream that...?????

My Ole Miss daughter is finishing up her first ever "rush workshop" and she is exhausted. Rush will kill her........and they do it with classes going on!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

MVisKD,
A friend from church has a daughter who is a pnm at Alabama. She is a southern girl and had all references in early in the summer. The last I heard she had only experienced one cut. Imagine! As of yesterday she had three favorites in mind. I have no idea what happened this morning.
I believe bids are given at 5:00 Sunday.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Dear friends, fans and curious onlookers,

I apologize for not being able to provide all of you with regular updates. Normally my Hubby is able to arrange his work schedule so that nothing major is going on while I'm helping with Recruitment. That simply wasn't possible this year and it has been a real challenge juggling our schedules with kids, work and sorority. Any free minute I've had I tried to grab a nap. Sorry folks, sleep trumps online chatting.

I'm happy to say for the first time in years of advising this may be the first time I don't wind up sick as a dog the week following Recruitment. THANK GOODNESS FOR HAVING MORE ADVISORS ON BOARD!!!!! ***Warning -- sales pitch time -- if you are an alum, have some free time and have a Chapter nearby, please, please, please volunteer to help them!!! Especially during Recruitment!!! Parents, you are welcome too! There is no such thing as too much help. Especially during Recruitment!!! Now back to your regularly scheduled post ***

Serious/Pref Night is finished, the PNM's have signed their Pref cards and the lists were due to Panhellenic by midnight. I'm home and my family is all asleep. Now I have time to offer a brief run down of the week.

Believe me it has been hot, hot, hot ... gawd awful, horrendously hot! Every day it's hit triple digits. Every Chapter's air conditioner was stretched to the max trying to keep up. PNM's and actives were struggling. It wasn't fun. I felt truly sorry for the PNM's, Rho Chi's and J-Board members walking from house to house and waiting outside until the next party started. It was miserable! Frankly I'm shocked there weren't more incidents of women passing out from the heat.

The final number of PNM's signed up to participate was 1410. There were several women who didn't even show up for Convocation. I haven't had the time to find out how many of those women completely withdrew and how many may have had a scheduling conflict yet still participated. Those numbers aren't available as yet. Did I mention it was hot?

Open House round was Monday & Tuesday. Surprisingly a few PNM's voluntarily withdrew between day 1 & day 2. I guess they decided sorority life wasn't for them. The same thing happened between the 2 days of Philanthropy. I find that really strange. Why not wait until at least the end of a round? Who knows, you may click with that women at that very last Chapter you visit? Oh well. Today was Serious/Pref Night. As of 5 minutes ago (11:55pm) there were still 1119 active recruits. That means 366 have either withdrawn voluntarily (the vast majority) or were cut. That's just shy of 26%. As I said in an earlier post, last year 78% of all women enrolled in formal Recruitment received bids per the stats posted by the UA Panhellenic (sorry, I don't have that link at the moment but it was in an earlier post). Obviously we don't know how many may get snap bids. It's certainly looking like we'll be in the same ballpark as last year, though it may be a bit lower. We'll know more tomorrow when the bids are extended.

Ok folks, that's all I know and now I'm heading off to bed. I'll post another update tomorrow when I can. I wish everyone the very best of luck! May all the PNM's get their first choice and the Chapters fill their top bid lists!

Oh and BTW -- it's been MISERABLY HOT in Bama!

Last edited by Zillini; 08-19-2007 at 05:04 PM.