GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 855
2 members and 853 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
All of the non-NPHC orgs at my school meet weekly as well. I can't speak for the NPHC orgs since they don't talk about when/where they meet.

For SigEp, our meetings are usually about an hour. We also try to keep them an hour for presentations as well. We will perform a paper-only meeting if there is an event after the meeting as well.

When I first joined, though, I experienced normal meetings that went 3 hours long. Thank goodness we're long past that point!!!!
Holy God! That's worse than any old school Membership meeting I ever sat through. I'd DIE.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-29-2012, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Count us in with the chapters who met weekly. I think that most of our chapters do that. The Fraternity recommends weekly meetings, although the requirement is at least two meetings per month.

When you meet that often, an hour should normally be plenty of time.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Met weekly unless it was dead week (all reports emailed to members) or finals week.

We always tried to keep it under an hour. I remember when I was a new member the President always asked the people giving reports to keep it under two minutes. Few actually could do this, but it as a consistant effort.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

We meet weekly. The reason it takes so long is because we have to get through reports from 10 elected offices and 10 chair positions, plus we have "sharing items" (stuffed animals, CD, etc that get passed around). This has also been a really busy year for us, so they've been longer this year than usual.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinette View Post
We meet weekly. The reason it takes so long is because we have to get through reports from 10 elected offices and 10 chair positions, plus we have "sharing items" (stuffed animals, CD, etc that get passed around). This has also been a really busy year for us, so they've been longer this year than usual.
But really, does every one of those people have a critical update every week?
Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapters used to run 2+ hours. But after viewing how larger chapters do meetings in under that time, we've adjusted to be less than 1.5 hours. It's still hard, considering our reports can get quite extensive.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

It's funny, but when I was an UG, 3 hour meetings were the norm.I never would have imagined only an hour.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
It's funny, but when I was an UG, 3 hour meetings were the norm.I never would have imagined only an hour.
We started to limit open forum to 5 minutes max, but then brothers just kept motioning to extend it.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

My collegiate chapter meetings typically last 1 hour for informal meetings, and 1.5 hours for formal meetings. My fiance's, on the other hand, are never shorter than 2 hours. I feel for him...

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 AM

Make sure you are using Roberts' Rules of Order.

Also, don't get hung up on OMG WE WENT OVER THE AVERAGE TIME. There are going to be meetings where there are things that need discussed more than other weeks, and no you can't have it on paper only, and no you can't do it in committee. But keeping the meetings flowing as a standard practice will result in a lot less bitching and a lot less "screw it, who gives a rat's ass, let's go home" when there IS something that truly needs discussion.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

What is this paper meeting that people mentioned?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd have to say a major problem we have is that most of us don't know Roberts' Rules of Order. My pledgemaster wanted to teach it to us, but he couldn't fit it within the program. I think it is something that should be taught.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
But really, does every one of those people have a critical update every week?
If they have nothing, they just say, "No report", and we move on. The past presidents have been really good about making sure that people don't waste the rest of the sisterhood's time, so reports, unless there's something important/serious going on, don't take longer than 10 minutes, and that upper limit is usually used by the 2 VP's or the president.

Most of the time is taken up with people asking questions so that everything is completely clear.

We also have a weekly meeting for the elected officers to take care of some things so that they don't need to be completely rehashed in chapter.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Really, if there isn't something that needs to be DISCUSSED, it should be bypassed, particularly if your group tends to go long. Any straight forward announcements can be done in paper or electronic form, preferably BEFORE the meeting in case it turns out the announcement requires discussion or rebuttal. Our meetings were long, IMO, but nothing like some meetings I've been part of as an adult. Thankfully my collegiate chapter wasn't full of middle aged women who need a hobby (re: a group I belonged to in Dubai) so it was in everyone's interest to get through the business and get on with the fun. And I don't think programming should be considered part of chapter, partly because your speaker would likely not be participating in any closing ceremonies of your chapter and partly because, as stated above, if some girls need to leave, at least they are fully committed to chapter. Even if the programming is a rockin good time, it will come off better if chapter took 1 hour, even if the girls were together for 4 hours that night.

Exec is another can of worms, and if you can keep that to an hour I think you've mastered something MANY organizations haven't.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
What is this paper meeting that people mentioned?
Paper meeting = no actual meeting. Everything that would've been in meeting is put on a piece of paper and distributed to everyone.

Some chapters email it to everyone.

With ours, we had to come to the house some time during the week to pick one up.

Lakers Nation.