GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,977
0 members and 1,977 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2005, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Did you check out some of the links on their website? There's "Wholesome Wear" (http://www.wholesomewear.com/) and a lot of very conservative organizations. There's also James Dobson/Focus on the Family, which tends to advocate authoritarian approaches to child-rearing. And not too surprisingly, there's also something about "Creation Science Evangelism." Scary.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The only way she is allowed to have another kid is if she names it "Jagoff."

And believe it or not, there is a Jinger precedent. When I first read her name, I thought it was pronounced Gin Grrrrrr.
LOL. In the "Wizard of Oz" books, L. Frank Baum had a character named General Jinjur. She was the leader of the girls' army! Maybe that would have been a more appropriate spelling.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Goodness - heaven forbid that this family actually wants to raise their children different from the current "style" of society. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling, wanting to dress modestly (have you guys seen some of the clothing that is availible for little girls to wear ) or making kids work. Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in a house where the parents ran it, not the kids (and back talk wasn't tolerated).

Anyone that volunteers with today's youth knows that more kids probably need this. lol
Old 10-14-2005, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Goodness - heaven forbid that this family actually wants to raise their children different from the current "style" of society. There is nothing wrong with homeschooling, wanting to dress modestly (have you guys seen some of the clothing that is availible for little girls to wear ) or making kids work. Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in a house where the parents ran it, not the kids (and back talk wasn't tolerated).

Anyone that volunteers with today's youth knows that more kids probably need this. lol
There is something wrong with homeschooling when you don't permit the children to have healthy social interactions with non-relatives their own age.

There is a large difference between dressing modestly and dressing your children like nuns and friars.

There is a large difference between making kids work, and making kids do all the work.

Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in a house where the parents ran it too - and we took turns, not made me do everything.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I don't see a problem with homeschooling (if I have the opportunity, I may even end up homeschooling my own kids), dressing modestly (although I think it's overrated -- the assumed correlation between values and how much fabric covers your butt verges on ridiculous sometimes), or wanting kids to do chores around the house.

I do have a problem with large families in general, but I realize that my opinion is not everyone's opinion and that's okay. I think having a larger family is fine as long as you can afford it and you can raise the kids in a way that is emotionally healthy.

However, there are a lot of things about this family that I do have a problem with:

- If you're homeschooling, you need to be qualified to teach your kids. Too many parents pull their kids out of school to home-school and then don't actually understand the concepts they're trying to teach, or provide others who do. If you think that a normal public school teacher works hard to come up with a lesson plan for one or two subjects for one or two grade levels (or in elementary school, 4 or 5 subjects for one grade level) and stay current in trends in that subject . . . a homeschooling mother has to come up with a separate lesson plan for every subject, every grade K-12, and stay current in those topics. With as many children as she has, that's basically impossible, and their quality of education will suffer (and from what I've seen of their homeschooling set-up on TV, it has).
- A fourteen-year-old should never be in charge of younger kid's formal education. EVER.
- There is a difference between helping out around the house and cooking all the meals, doing all the laundry, cleaning the entire house, etc. If you read their schedule -- these kids are cleaning all day. The parents freely admit that they're training their kids to do all their work for them. If so, I don't think she should be winning Mother of the Year awards -- maybe JINGER should be winning them.
- They force their kids to wear matching clothes. Even the older ones.
- The kids have very little contact with anyone their age that's not related to them, and then it is only with fundamentalist Christian families who share their values. They not only home-school, they home-church. Thus their interaction with anyone outside of the family is very limited. The first thing any home-schooling parent learns is that you need to have your kids do things like join sports teams, go to church, join clubs -- they need to have friends outside of the family. The oldest boy in the family has mentioned on camera that he gets separation anxiety when he's away from the family for even a couple hours. That's not a healthy reaction for a, what, 19-year-old boy?
- These kids don't have time to do anything not related to their family. They aren't allowed to develop hobbies or anything that is not parent-sanctioned (i.e., every kid has to play the violin/piano, they are not allowed to choose a different instrument). That stunts emotional development.

. . . there's a lot more I could say, but I'll cut myself off here.

On the whole, they're not being raised as individuals. They're being raised to be part of a machine. And the problems stemming from being raised like that will not become obvious until they try to go out into the real world and function normally.

Plus, they named a child Jinger, which should qualify as child abuse all on its own.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
BLANKET TRAINING.

And if you've seen a picture of Mrs. Duggar . . . apparently Aquanet-ing their bangs.
That blanket training isht is messed up.

Which kid do you think will be the first one to climb on top of the state capital and start shooting?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
That blanket training isht is messed up.

Which kid do you think will be the first one to climb on top of the state capital and start shooting?
Now, now, 33girl, the parents are RULING the house as is their Lordly right. Do not judge!

GET BEHIND ME, SATAN!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

That dad is pretty hot though.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

What the hell is banket training??
Old 10-14-2005, 02:08 PM

Follow the jimbob faq link on s & s's post and it talks about it.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thank you for saying this, Honeykiss! To my knowledge, the youth of this country aren't supposed to be goose-stepping to any ONE dogma or curriculum.

I have several friends who home-school. Most have degrees, but maybe aren't as strong in one subject as another - BUT! Every child who is home-schooled must pass state mandated testing, and must keep up to their grade level. Most home-schooled kids are in touch with the other h-s kids in their area, and they have the same field trips, discussion groups, and outside activities that public school kids enjoy. In fact, because of the flexibility of their schedules, all of the h-s kids I know except two are above their level.

Now, as for this particular family, I haven't read their website, but there are good and bad points. Obviously, their fashion sense isn't the cutting edge - but I'll bet that those kids know HOW to make their own clothes (when age appropriate). I agree that the older kids shouldn't be teaching major subjects to the younger ones - maybe spelling or such would be okay, though. I know that when I was 11, I was tutoring other kids in different classes in spelling, at the request of the teachers.

I'm not wild about Dr. Dobson, but I hardly consider him to be Satan Incarnate. I also believe that most kids who go to a parochial school are pretty much surrounded by kids of their own religion, too. This family is being pilloried for being fundamentalist Christians, and for wanting to expose their kids to the values they consider important.

I'll add more, once I read their website, but in the meantime, this family used to go to the same church as I - and those kids are VERY self-reliant.

The jumpers really do have to go, though.

Last edited by honeychile; 10-15-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
There is something wrong with homeschooling when you don't permit the children to have healthy social interactions with non-relatives their own age.

There is a large difference between dressing modestly and dressing your children like nuns and friars.

There is a large difference between making kids work, and making kids do all the work.

Maybe I'm jaded because I grew up in a house where the parents ran it too - and we took turns, not made me do everything.
I'd hardly call what they are wearing dressing like a nun or friar. C'mon now.....

Exaggerations aside, the fact remains that because some of you see it as "cruel and unusual punishment" because these kids dress modestly, are homeschooled (there are guidelines that homeschoolers must adhere to in order for it to account for squat), and basically live a life that is totally different from what you believe to be the best way (societial norm) DOES NOT MAKE THEM BAD PARENTS!

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 10-14-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Wholesome

They should make a Playboy for modest women.

KLTC

Last edited by PM_Mama00; 10-14-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile

The jumpers really do have to go, though.
LOL

Don't move to Wichita and send your kids to public school Honeychile. The elementary/middle schools here have school uniforms and guess what girls must wear.......BLUE JUMPERS!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

out of lurkdom

Ok guys, I just had to come out of lurkdom to reply to this thread.

Sugar and Spice - You hit the nail on the head with the info on "blanket training". You are going to make a wonderful gentle mom one day.

The Duggars use this book as a model of their "parenting" style:
http://www.gospeltruth.net/children/pearl_tuac.htm

Its all about breaking a child's spirit...........