GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 863
0 members and 863 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Of course not. Fewer sophmores than freshmen participate in formal recruitment, and far fewer junior and seniors participate. What percent of freshmen in your colonizing class participated in formal recruitment? It is also possible that some percentage of the upperclassmen participated in formal recruitment years prior. Did you?

Nonetheless, PNMs like SECglitter, who want an opportunity to join the Greek system, can benefit a chapter new to campus. A win-win.

Because while Titchou was telling SECglitter why she was released, I couldn't ignore the irony that Titchou's own chapter benefited from released PNMs, like SECglitter, when recolonizing at Alabama.

Hopefully they were not similarly interrogated regarding their release, however.
Quote:
Something else to consider -- not every person is chatty and super outgoing in new situations -- and there are few situations more chaotic and small-talk-dependent than recruitment. The whirlwind of recruitment may not favor the quiet personality. Even among actives one could sort personalities along the lines of super rushers and those who are more comfortable in the background. Most of us have close friends of both leanings, I'm sure, in real life (recruitment certainly is not real life, so to speak).

A PNM can also be unlucky in regard to the actives they chat with -- an apathetic active snoozing in the chapter room may not be speaking up as someone who met the PNM.

Um...there was absolutely NO REASON to bring DG at ALABAMA into a thread about UGA to try and indict a 60-something alumna! What is wrong with your reasoning? Do you have a personal beef with DG? Just back off, okay.

Titchou frequently comes off abrasively, but what she was telling the OP was actually quite useful. She probably didn't stand out in recruitment (giving her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't have some horrible strike against her) and learning to sell herself would be helpful in the future. Reading more into her posts that she was telling the girl that she was unimpressive or not worth a spot in a sorority is way off base. Hell, there are plenty of times I completely disagree with what titchou says, but you have an obsession with her and her chapter that is ridiculous.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I certainly didn't mean it to come across that way. From her own admission, her involvement/activities are not strong and she simply chit-chatted at the parties. Her recs and grades obviously got her invited back after round 1 but she did nothing to sell herself after that - would could have made a difference. By her own admission she freaked out at every house. I went to Alabama so I know competitive recruitment - you have to have the resume to get in the door and then you have to sell yourself in order to stand out against all the hundreds of others. That would have given her a much better chance.
I feel so blessed that my Greek system isn't like that. Alabama is such a strong Greek community but it seems so cold (to me) that chapters view people like that before they ever meet them.
------
To the OP, your best bet (since you are already on the COB list) is to naturally befriend people in your hall and classes. If they are in a sorority and there are not opportunities for recruitment (like a COB) until next fall then just make sure you are getting involved on campus. If you were nervous with small talk and felt that was part of the problem you can do so many things to help raise your confidence in those situations! If your campus or area has a Toastmakers or other public speaking group, you could look into that. Also taking an acting class or doing improv, talking to someone new every day, and hanging out with outgoing people can help. Try to be a part of a group that has a clear and positive impact on campus too! But most importantly enjoy yourself I can't really think of any specific tips since no one knows why you were released but if you go through the process again you at least know more the second time around! Good luck!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Um...there was absolutely NO REASON to bring DG at ALABAMA into a thread about UGA to try and indict a 60-something alumna! What is wrong with your reasoning? Do you have a personal beef with DG? Just back off, okay.

Titchou frequently comes off abrasively, but what she was telling the OP was actually quite useful. She probably didn't stand out in recruitment (giving her the benefit of the doubt that she didn't have some horrible strike against her) and learning to sell herself would be helpful in the future. Reading more into her posts that she was telling the girl that she was unimpressive or not worth a spot in a sorority is way off base. Hell, there are plenty of times I completely disagree with what titchou says, but you have an obsession with her and her chapter that is ridiculous.
I think my post and additional explanation was self-explanatory.

I didn't enter Alabama as a benchmark of recruitment in this thread. But since it has been, I contributed because I went there, am an alum of a chapter there, write lots of recs there, and know the outcome of girls in my area who participate in recruitment there.

I'm really not interested in finding some drama here that doesn't exist. Sorry.

ETA: I'm not really sure -- exactly -- what "selling yourself" really looks like during rush. Appearing to be someone who is "trying too hard" may not play as sincere.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 08-31-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think my post and additional explanation was self-explanatory.

I didn't enter Alabama as a benchmark of recruitment in this thread. But since it has been, I contributed because I went there, am an alum of a chapter there, write lots of recs there, and know the outcome of girls in my area who participate in recruitment there.

I'm really not interested in finding some drama here that doesn't exist. Sorry.

ETA: I'm not really sure -- exactly -- what "selling yourself" really looks like during rush. Appearing to be someone who is "trying too hard" may not play as sincere.
No it really isn't self explanatory. An alumna of any sorority giving advice in a thread has NOTHING to do with whether or not her collegiate chapter gives women bids when they re-rush. She may not even be in the position to make those decisions. You making those catty comments about her chapter to "shame" her are really hurtful as PNMs can google her chapter name and find your comments. It is completely unnecessary, and it doesn't matter if you are an alumna of Alabama or Timbuktu. Quit being a haughty brat and leave DG alone. They just got back to campus and don't need you slamming them every few weeks on GC.

BTW, normal people when they disagree with advice given by others on a thread just state their own differing advice without dragging the other poster's sorority into the situation. I get that you don't know how you'd "sell yourself" in recruitment. Fine. Just leave it at that.

AOII

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-31-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No it really isn't self explanatory. An alumna of any sorority giving advice in a thread has NOTHING to do with whether or not her collegiate chapter gives women bids when they re-rush. She may not even be in the position to make those decisions. You making those catty comments about her chapter to "shame" her are really hurtful as PNMs can google her chapter name and find your comments. It is completely unnecessary, and it doesn't matter if you are an alumna of Alabama or Timbuktu. Quit being a haughty brat and leave DG alone. They just got back to campus and don't need you slamming them every few weeks on GC.

There isn't any shame in pledging PNMs who were released from recruitment.

The fact that they were released does not necessarily mean that they did something wrong or didn't do something right. That's the point.

Those girls can benefit a new sorority -- a chapter recolonizing needs members who are enthusiastic about joining a sorority. And PNMs who were released represent a pool of girls who are!
Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbear19 View Post
Funny. Most threads like this are filled with women explaining to the OP that we can't tell her why she was released. In this thread, the OP specifically said that she knows we can't tell her that, and she's not asking. Yet the thread is filled with women explaining to the OP why she might have been released.
The OP asked what she should do when she rushes again as a sophomore. I think it is important for her to try to understand why she might have been released. If you do not learn from your mistakes, you are doomed to repeat them.

IF you choose to rush again, you must make sure that whatever caused you to be dropped from recruitment this time is not a problem again next year.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
No one said there was. You are the only one who brought this up.

Quote:
The fact that they were released does not necessarily mean that they did something wrong or didn't do something right. That's the point.
Then say that and do not bring up other universities and chapters. And CERTAINLY don't bring personal jabs into it.

Quote:
Those girls can benefit a new sorority -- a chapter recolonizing needs members who are enthusiastic about joining a sorority. And PNMs who were released represent a pool of girls who are!
UGA isn't colonizing a new sorority this year. This is not relevant in this thread.

SECglitter, just so you know a MCGLO is Multicultural Greek Letter Organization. They offer similar fellowship and philanthropic opportunities as NPC, but operate under a different umbrella organization.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post

Then say that and do not bring up other universities and chapters. And CERTAINLY don't bring personal jabs into it.

UGA isn't colonizing a new sorority this year. This is not relevant in this thread.

SECglitter, just so you know a MCGLO is Multicultural Greek Letter Organization. They offer similar fellowship and philanthropic opportunities as NPC, but operate under a different umbrella organization.
Amen.

AOII

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And as you also know, many girls are released from recruitment at Alabama, who then go on to pledge sororities that are recolonizing on a campus, like Delta Gamma at Alabama.

If there must be some identifiable (negative) reason that a PNM is released from recruitment (as you have indicated), then why did your recolonizing chapter pledge them?

Surely ^this is not how you queried the girls who were released from recruitment, who subsequently pledged Delta Gamma following formal recruitment. Your chapter benefited from girls like SECglitter, who were released from rush, but who still wanted to be part of the Greek system.

I think that there are plenty of terrific girls who wind up being released -- many who do nothing specific, or negative, to cause their own release.

I thought GeorgiaGreek offered some great advice -- all the best to SECglitter.
Quote:
I assume you were not at Alabama -- and I also assume that when your colony formed it was represented by members of all classes (not just freshmen or sophmores who went through formal recruitment that year).

Please note that I had something positive to say about girls released from recruitment -- I was not passing judgement regarding why they were released.

And yes, at Alabama, girls who are released from recruitment can be very important to the launch of a chapter new to campus (especially freshmen). They are interested in joining a sorority, obviously, as otherwise they would not have participated in recruitment.
Quote:
Of course not. Fewer sophmores than freshmen participate in formal recruitment, and far fewer junior and seniors participate. What percent of freshmen in your colonizing class participated in formal recruitment? It is also possible that some percentage of the upperclassmen participated in formal recruitment years prior. Did you?

Nonetheless, PNMs like SECglitter, who want an opportunity to join the Greek system, can benefit a chapter new to campus. A win-win.

Because while Titchou was telling SECglitter why she was released, I couldn't ignore the irony that Titchou's own chapter benefited from released PNMs, like SECglitter, when recolonizing at Alabama.

Hopefully they were not similarly interrogated regarding their release, however.
Just. Shut. Up.

We get it. You don't like Titchou, and apparently, you don't like Delta Gamma at Alabama, either. Way to show the panhellenic love for your own school. None of these things have to do with what SECglitter wants to know.

SECglitter - I wish you all the best. Some PNMs do better with COB/informal. It's not quite so intense, and there's more of an opportunity for the sorority women to get to know you. UGA has so much going on. Get out there, get involved, and make as many friends as you can. It sounds like you have a lot to offer.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Just. Shut. Up.
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

I don't understand why everyone is being so rude to heartofsec. She wasn't putting down DG at Alabama, she was merely stating that some women "slip through the cracks" during Formal Recruitment and that these women COULD be a perfect fit for a colonizing chapter. Not saying that the colonizing women who didn't go through Formal Recruitment aren't JUST as amazing.

I actually had a few sophomores in my pledge class that missed out on getting a bid their freshman year, so they re-rushed the next year and they are WONDERFUL women. I'm sure this is exactly what happened to SECglitter. The computer program isn't perfect, sometimes things like this happen!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOtillIdieO View Post
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit.

I don't understand why everyone is being so rude to heartofsec. She wasn't putting down DG at Alabama, she was merely stating that some women "slip through the cracks" during Formal Recruitment and that these women COULD be a perfect fit for a colonizing chapter. Not saying that the colonizing women who didn't go through Formal Recruitment aren't JUST as amazing.

I actually had a few sophomores in my pledge class that missed out on getting a bid their freshman year, so they re-rushed the next year and they are WONDERFUL women. I'm sure this is exactly what happened to SECglitter. The computer program isn't perfect, sometimes things like this happen!
Clearly, you missed the original Alabama-recruitment thread in which hartofsec was catty as all get out about DG. Read some more.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOtillIdieO View Post
I don't understand why everyone is being so rude to heartofsec. She wasn't putting down DG at Alabama, she was merely stating that some women "slip through the cracks" during Formal Recruitment and that these women COULD be a perfect fit for a colonizing chapter.
[Lane swerve]

Have to disagree. Having read this thread and the other one where she and Titchou were going at it, it's hard for me to see her comments as anything other than an obvious, unnecessary and catty swipe at Titchou. The point you say she was merely trying to make could have been made just fine without bringing up again (as she did repeatedly in the other thread) that Titchou's chapter closed and is recolonizing

hartofsec needs to let it go already. It's not a flattering look.

[/lane swerve]
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Actually, AOII Angel brought it up:

Quote:
You making those catty comments about her chapter to "shame" her are really hurtful as PNMs can google her chapter name and find your comments. It is completely unnecessary, and it doesn't matter if you are an alumna of Alabama or Timbuktu. Quit being a haughty brat and leave DG alone. They just got back to campus and don't need you slamming them every few weeks on GC.
I just responded to her insinuation:

Quote:

What might be questionable (or at least amazingly clairvoyant ), IMO, is an alum claiming to know why a PNM was released from recruitment, based on her own experience, 50 years ago, on a different campus.

Quote:
Just. Shut. Up.
Quote:

We get it. You don't like Titchou, and apparently, you don't like Delta Gamma at Alabama, either. Way to show the panhellenic love for your own school. None of these things have to do with what SECglitter wants to know.

I’m actually delighted that Delta Gamma recolonized at Bama – a much needed addition to the Greek system, and done very well.

The fact that girls who were released from recruitment were pledged as part of the new membership is not a negative, but rather a win/win. We shouldn’t make an assumption that something is inherently “wrong” with a girl who has been released from recruitment.

That’s the point (that I have made repeatedly).

Last edited by Hartofsec; 08-31-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
[Lane swerve]

Have to disagree. Having read this thread and the other one where she and Titchou were going at it, it's hard for me to see her comments as anything other than an obvious, unnecessary and catty swipe at Titchou. The point you say she was merely trying to make could have been made just fine without bringing up again (as she did repeatedly in the other thread) that Titchou's chapter closed and is recolonizing

hartofsec needs to let it go already. It's not a flattering look.

[/lane swerve]
You are welcome in our lane any time, MC.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The fact that girls who were released from recruitment were pledged as part of the new membership is not a negative, but rather a win/win. We shouldn’t make an assumption that something is inherently “wrong” with a girl who has been released from recruitment.

That’s the point (that I have made repeatedly).
And you could have made this point without naming a specific chapter.