GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,255
0 members and 2,255 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 PM

What sorts of traditions are chapters holding on to that causes so many problems there? I'm guessing they're things that those NPCs would consider hazing...

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta kala View Post
Not sure if it's the same local subculture, but from what I know about Wake is the current NPC groups tend to hold on to the traditions of their former locals.
I have heard this as well. I'm not sure if Pi Phi came from a local though. I thought that that was more true for the older groups on campus.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
I have heard this as well. I'm not sure if Pi Phi came from a local though. I thought that that was more true for the older groups on campus.
They did, they were the strings society.
Tri delta, Phi Mu and DZ are the only sororities on campus that weren't from societies.
Adpi when first formed was from a society, but they re-charted last year after I graduated so I'm not sure if any society traditions were passed down.

I really feel for the girls that just pledged in the spring.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Pi Phi came from the oldest local, Strings. I had heard that Wake was having trouble from several of their nationals that came from locals, wanting to hold onto old and not so praiseworthy traditions. 33, I bet you're talking about Shorter, lol.

Shorter College decreed back 7-8 years ago that its local groups, known all over the state for hazing, would have to go national. Of the 3 sororities, 1 folded immediately, 1 went national, and 1 stayed local and tried to continue its old, um, traditions. The one that went national tried to hold onto some old "traditions" too but I think that's finally over with.

If they were hazing, then they deserved to have their charter pulled.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking back at this old thread

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...forest+strings

about the history of the NPCs at Wake. Based on that discussion it sounds as if the university wanted the help of NPCs in controlling the activities of the locals. I wonder what would happen if NPCs refused to colonize on campuses with these heavy local traditions. If the university can't control behavior on (or affiliated with) its campus, how is a national organization or even a group of local alumnae volunteers supposed to control it?

Still very sad to lose a chapter.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

It is sad. I hope we reorganize soon!

I just got a pm that informs me that 33 was probably talking about the Chi O situation that was similar to ours. I bet so, I'd forgotten all that.

Just goes to show that it's not always easier to start from an organized local.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's just because they were still holding on to local traditions. From what I've heard pledge night got very out of hand this year. I've heard other organizations are also facing sanctions (like not allowed to take freshmen pledges in the spring, social probation) but pi phi is the only chapter that is being closed. This is speculations but I believe Pi Phi had previously faced other social probation the year before so it may be pledge night along with other events/actions that lead to the decision.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2...y-alter-rules/
Recap of what happened on pledge night for those interested.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

what happened to the NPC rule that bid day activities not include alcohol or boys? why is the greek life staff not enforcing that(not to mention the sorority advisors)?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
what happened to the NPC rule that bid day activities not include alcohol or boys? why is the greek life staff not enforcing that(not to mention the sorority advisors)?
Sorority Bid day does not have boys or alcohol.

Pledge night is a week or 2 later and is the pledge night for the Fraternities and everyone else participates.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicwalksuhome View Post

Pledge night is a week or 2 later and is the pledge night for the Fraternities and everyone else participates.
Participates as in helps host or just shows up and parties? Are GDI's allowed?
Old 08-03-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicwalksuhome View Post

Sounds like the 501 parties on our campus. It was when fraternity and sorority rush were both over and bid day officially ended at 5:01pm. They were hosted by the fraternities and not official bid day activities for the sororities, but many people went.

It depended on scheduling whether it was on our bid day or after.

ETA: Read the article, sounds much much more co-organized - our fraternities had separate events - and much worse.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
ETA: Read the article, sounds much much more co-organized - our fraternities had separate events - and much worse.
Yeah, as much as all this is a RM nightmare I'm also thinking "gee, it's kind of cool that they can all come together and the whole Greek community can be as one." That doesn't happen at a lot of places.

I'm also kind of giggling that the agency charged with busting people is abbreviated ALE.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

FIJI @ VANDY

Phi Gamma Delta will begin colonization at Vanderbilt University this fall (2010). We can pledge upperclassmen and speak with interested freshmen. Freshmen will then be pledged in January when the other fraternities normally take their pledge classes.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Phi Gamma Delta will begin colonization at Vanderbilt University this fall (2010). We can pledge upperclassmen and speak with interested freshmen. Freshmen will then be pledged in January when the other fraternities normally take their pledge classes.
Great win for Fiji, Vanderbilt is an amazing school and I would love for DTD to be able to start a colony there some day.

In other news, I read in our publication that Delta Tau Delta will also be starting a new colony at Babson College in the fall. Seems to be a good year of growth for Delts.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm also kind of giggling that the agency charged with busting people is abbreviated ALE.
HAHA!! That is rather funny!