GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,048
3 members and 2,045 guests
aanglasshulzea7, bmilestts1685

Old 02-14-2022, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Having events with non-Greek orgs

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone here ever hosts events with non-Greek organizations. I think it'd be a great way to break out of the "Greek bubble" so to speak (even though I'm still in touch with my independent friends, ever since I went Greek almost all of my new friends are also Greek), but at the same time it'd also be a great way to recruit people who are only part of independent orgs and have never considered rushing.

The multicultural GLOs at my school have a lot of social or philanthropic events with cultural-based clubs, and AEPI has hosted High Holy Day events with my campus's Chabad/Hillel. At chapter I recently brought up that it'd be fun to work with the the ACM-W to fundraise for, or even just promote, Girls Who Code which is one of AST's philanthropies. Most of my sisters had actually never thought about working with a non-Greek org, but they love the idea of it! How many GreekChat users have done something like this? Obviously it depends on the culture of your school but I'm really excited to hopefully give it a try.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

It can happen!

My daughter's chapter had a mixer with law school students. Long story short, she met the love of her life that night. He called his mother at midnight and told her he had met "the one". They have been married several years now and are expecting a baby in a couple of months.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Not a problem at all. Happens at a lot of places.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEMsister View Post
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone here ever hosts events with non-Greek organizations. I think it'd be a great way to break out of the "Greek bubble" so to speak (even though I'm still in touch with my independent friends, ever since I went Greek almost all of my new friends are also Greek), but at the same time it'd also be a great way to recruit people who are only part of independent orgs and have never considered rushing.

The multicultural GLOs at my school have a lot of social or philanthropic events with cultural-based clubs, and AEPI has hosted High Holy Day events with my campus's Chabad/Hillel. At chapter I recently brought up that it'd be fun to work with the the ACM-W to fundraise for, or even just promote, Girls Who Code which is one of AST's philanthropies. Most of my sisters had actually never thought about working with a non-Greek org, but they love the idea of it! How many GreekChat users have done something like this? Obviously it depends on the culture of your school but I'm really excited to hopefully give it a try.
Just do it.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTA72 View Post
My daughter's chapter had a mixer with law school students. Long story short, she met the love of her life that night. He called his mother at midnight and told her he had met "the one". They have been married several years now and are expecting a baby in a couple of months.
That is the sweetest story!

OP, yes, one of our big state schools in Texas has a bunch of very strong men’s organizations (non-Greek) and the sororities mix with them all the time. I love your idea- go for it!! Only thing to be aware of is if the events are social and alcohol will be present you need to make sure both groups are covered w/r/t risk management and insurance.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=TXDG;2488826]That is the sweetest story!

Thank you so much!
Old 02-26-2022, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
That is the sweetest story!

OP, yes, one of our big state schools in Texas has a bunch of very strong men’s organizations (non-Greek) and the sororities mix with them all the time. I love your idea- go for it!! Only thing to be aware of is if the events are social and alcohol will be present you need to make sure both groups are covered w/r/t risk management and insurance.
This!
Old 02-27-2022, 07:32 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEMsister View Post

Go for it.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!