GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,279
1 members and 2,278 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Top 5 Real World moments?

So, I was just reading about how Stephen from the Seattle season of MTV's Real World finally came "out," and I couldn't help but go back in time and remember his infamous SLAP.

It got me to thinking (again) about how good the Real World used to be.
Remember when Beth, Cyrus, Eric, David and Coral lived in the Real World house - not just Challenge shows?

What are your "top" moments from the show?

Here's a few of my favorite moments to get us started:

5. London: Neil gets his tongue practically bitten off while performing on stage with his band.

4. L.A.: Aaron makes a big deal about how he'd never pose for any cheesy calendar...then his roommates discover he once posed for a "Men of UCLA" or similar calendar. They blanket the house and outdoors with his photo spread.

3. San Francisco: Pedro's and Sean's committment ceremony.

2. Seattle: Irene "outs" Stephen while exiting the house for the last time, which prompts him to uncover the stuffed animal he's taken from her and throw it into Puget Sound...then of course he runs after her car, opens the passenger side door, and slaps her in the face.

1. Miami: The shower scene when Flora, Dan and Sarah are eavesdropping on Mike, Melissa and the bartender in the shower. Flora tries to climb through the tiny bathroom window and gets stuck halfway.

ETA: OK, I just gotta' add, check out how much more mature everyone seems (compared to recent casts) in just part of this episode from the L.A. season: http://youtube.com/watch?v=aKEO9E-9tnA

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 04-04-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Season 1 NY... Heather B was walking the dog and the dog took off, she tripped and fell and Julie was cracking up. I always remember that.

KLTC
Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
NY Season 1: After Becky, Heather, and Julie got the letter informing them that they were going to Jamaica, Heather and Julie called random people out of the phone book to tell them they were going to Jamaica.
Also, the joke the other six played on Kevin when they all switched personalities: Julie was the slut, Andre was the country boy, Norman the kleptomaniac hippie, Eric pretended to be gay.

Miami: The Dan/Melissa fight. "Was it yours to open up you stupid bitch?" "DON'T EVER CALL ME A BITCH!"

Boston: Montana/Vaj breakup phone call. "WHORE WHORE WHORE!"

Seattle: The David/Kira drama, including the big meltdown in the car.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I cosign on every one of those!

I'd like to add my favorites from the early years:

1) Julie and Kevin's epic race war!

2) Tami telling David "It wasn't not funny!"

3) When Norman dated Charles Perez!

4) When Kameelah hung out with the AKAs and Alphas in Boston! She strolled, too!

5) When Dan called Melissa a stupid b.......
Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
NY Season 1: After Becky, Heather, and Julie got the letter informing them that they were going to Jamaica, Heather and Julie called random people out of the phone book to tell them they were going to Jamaica.
Also, the joke the other six played on Kevin when they all switched personalities: Julie was the slut, Andre was the country boy, Norman the kleptomaniac hippie, Eric pretended to be gay.

Miami: The Dan/Melissa fight. "Was it yours to open up you stupid bitch?" "DON'T EVER CALL ME A BITCH!"

Boston: Montana/Vaj breakup phone call. "WHORE WHORE WHORE!"

Seattle: The David/Kira drama, including the big meltdown in the car.
YES!!!!! All those, but especially David/Kira!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

See, this is the REAL Real World. I stopped watching halfway through Hawaii. Each number corresponds to a season on the show:

1. Heather B: "I got my towels from the JCPenney Collection and Eric DIDN'T!"

2. "It wasn't not funny!" I couldn't otherwise stand Tami (the world's only homophobic AIDS worker), but this was FUNNY.

3. Rachel's MOM! That woman cracked my isht up. "Racial, you got a tattoo? You low class, low income, you name it."

4. Remember when Neil's girlfriend gave him the pig's heart with a nail in it?

5. Dan and Melissa's fight was hilarious. Another bird I couldn't stand.

6. Eh, Boston was kind of boring.

7. Seattle? I have to say it was the "SLAP!" heard round the world.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Yeah, I'm all about The Real World: The Early Years, too. It was a much different show, IMO. Now every season it just seems an effort to one-up the last season in amount of alcohol ingested, random hook-ups, fights and cursing. The first couple seasons seemed so tame in comparison, but in some ways it was more interesting because you got to know them more as people and how they were really relating, not just all their screaming and slutting and slurring. I think the Vegas season was the beginning of the end that turned the series into what it is today. They also tackled/allowed some braver issues in those early years too, it seems like. So here are some things I remember after co-signing everything that's already been said above:

1. Season one, Julie joking that Heather might be a drug dealer because she had a pager.
2. Season one, they went to the pro-choice rally in D.C.
3. Season one, Julie spent the night with the homeless.
4. Season two, Tami getting an abortion.
5. Season two, the first roommate "kick-off", David.
6. Seattle, Puck with his fingers in the peanut butter -- eww! (well, Puck himself, EW)
7. Seattle, Pedro.
8. San Diego, the rumored rape (http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=2035) that the show basically ignored
9. Hawaii, Ruthie driving drunk.
10. Boston, the David/Kira thing was epic in the car, she actually lost her job over that relationship, but she wasn't the first -- remember the director from the first season that hooked up with Becky on their trip to the Bahamas? I think he chose the nookie over his job too.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I had totally forgotten about Julie thinking Heather was a drug dealer! Yes, very funny.

I remember the Seattle cast... one of the VMI guys (not the one with Kira) had a girlfriend that was sooooooo needy. She drove me crazy. He seemed rather normal... I never could figure out why he never dumped her.

And I co-sign nittany... it was so much interesting before... there were actually issues and topics, as opposed to drunk fests and hook-ups. Yes, Vegas was definitely when the show took the left turn. Thank you Trishelle.

Rachel from San Francisco has been one of my favorite characters cast members. It was great to see her grow as a person, explore new ideas, and she married Sean from the Boston cast.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually think the downfall really started with Hawaii. It jumped the shark when on the first episode half the cast got naked and jumped into the pool. And that Kaia chick drove me nuts with her bohemian yet holier-than-thou ramblings.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Oh yeah, "It wasn't not funny!" was CLASSIC.

I also remember in Season 1, they went to a Jerry Brown campaign rally and then Norman painted his 800 number on the wall of the loft. I can't see any of the more recent casts doing anything like that.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
Yeah, I'm all about The Real World: The Early Years, too. It was a much different show, IMO. Now every season it just seems an effort to one-up the last season in amount of alcohol ingested, random hook-ups, fights and cursing. The first couple seasons seemed so tame in comparison, but in some ways it was more interesting because you got to know them more as people and how they were really relating, not just all their screaming and slutting and slurring. I think the Vegas season was the beginning of the end that turned the series into what it is today. They also tackled/allowed some braver issues in those early years too, it seems like. So here are some things I remember after co-signing everything that's already been said above:

1. Season one, Julie joking that Heather might be a drug dealer because she had a pager.
2. Season one, they went to the pro-choice rally in D.C.
3. Season one, Julie spent the night with the homeless.
4. Season two, Tami getting an abortion.
5. Season two, the first roommate "kick-off", David.
6. SF, Puck with his fingers in the peanut butter -- eww! (well, Puck himself, EW)
7. SF, Pedro.
8. San Diego, the rumored rape (http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/...ory.php?s=2035) that the show basically ignored
9. Hawaii, Ruthie driving drunk.
10. Seattle, the David/Kira thing was epic in the car, she actually lost her job over that relationship, but she wasn't the first -- remember the director from the first season that hooked up with Becky on their trip to the Bahamas? I think he chose the nookie over his job too.
Had to fix it.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Havana View Post
Oh yeah, "It wasn't not funny!" was CLASSIC.

I also remember in Season 1, they went to a Jerry Brown campaign rally and then Norman painted his 800 number on the wall of the loft. I can't see any of the more recent casts doing anything like that.
I'm trying to remember the last time a cast felt passionately about any social issue. In fact, I would settle for a cast that simply had a discussion or two about politics or displayed general knowledge about politics and current affairs.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Had to fix it.
Woops! Duh! Thank you! They're all mushed up in my head.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I actually think the downfall really started with Hawaii. It jumped the shark when on the first episode half the cast got naked and jumped into the pool. And that Kaia chick drove me nuts with her bohemian yet holier-than-thou ramblings.
Remember that Hawaii episode where Amaya's freaking out because she thought she mighta had an STD?

Years later, the guy she was involved with still gets shit for it.

I can watch Season One over and over again. I was only in Junior High then, but it was so deep and hit on so many issues. I remember wanting to start some kind of petition/letter writing campaign to keep this Real World cast on the air longer!

Gimme a break, I was 12!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

NY Kevin and Julie's race fignt
NY Julie asking Heather if she was a drug dealer
SF Rachael's mom named their dog after George Bush Sr.
SF Rachael and Pedro dancing together
SF Pedro and Sean's commitment ceremony
Pedro's Death
LA Tami screaming on the floor and all of the aftermath
Hawaii Ruthie on day one in the hospital
Boston Montana getting yelled at by her boyfriend "Whore"
Boston Kamelah hanging with her AKA crew
Boston Montana getting in trouble for giving the kids booze
Seattle The slap
Seattle David and Kira
Miami the "Threesome" Melissa keeps denying
Miami Flora climbing through the window and breaking it to see the threesome
Miami Dan and Melissa's fight
Miami Flora calling Cynthia gehtto
Miami Joe asking Nic to marry him (DAMN that chick was FUGLY) at his graduation
Miami The entire Miami crew failing to start the business
London (BORING) Neil getting his tongue bit off
London The pigs heart
Didn't really watch New Orleans, Chicago or Back to NY
Vegas When Trishelle thought she was preggo
Vegas Frank drooling over Trishelle
Vegas I think it was Arissa that got into a fight with some random drunk girl at Ghost Bar. Arissa was walking by with the camera crew and the girl said something that ticked Arissa off. Arissa was about to get New York on her and give the girl a global beatdown.
Didn't watch Paris, Philly, Denver, San Diego, Austin or Key West
Sydney Trisha getting her a** booted home after Parisa said Buh-Bye!
Sydney The NASTY A** girls Kelly Anne and Ashli were spitting on the wall while Parisa was on the phone

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-05-2008 at 03:11 AM.