GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,382
1 members and 1,381 guests
janesstexxda745

Old 02-27-2017, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

As a parent, I've been watching the series of events that have led to the current situation. Some additional context on the article breathesgelatin shared:

The Spectator is a privately funded/run newsmagazine started about 3 years ago by several W&L students, in response to the administration's plans to build third year housing and mandate that all juniors live on campus. That housing project opened this year, and it seems to be well-received, but many students initially felt the university was infringing on older students' right to become more autonomous and live off-campus, with more personal freedoms. So, the Spectator was a response to administrative policies, restrictions, etc. that these students didn't like. It reminds me of how some people describe Alaska...I want to run my own life, make my own decisions, and not have to bow to authorities whose opinions I don't agree with. And I would say W&L encourages this transition to adulthood and supports students in their autonomy (like running the honor system), but this is balanced with a need to protect students from themselves because tragedies related to drinking have happened.

When this particular article was written, the further context was the Rolling Stone incited brouhaha up the road at UVA. If you remember, NPC national groups/presidents "banned" sorority members from attending fraternity bid day parties at UVA, and that trickled down to W&L, where it was seen as a condescending attempt to micromanage adult women who can fend for themselves. Soon the Panhellenic president started openly talking about her thoughts that we can get away from the "rape culture" by equalizing the playing field and allowing sororities to host parties with alcohol -- thus allowing women to control the venue and the alcohol. I think there have been a certain number of women who have found certain national policies "old-fashioned" and restrictive. Some members don't see the benefits of lifetime membership in a national group at this stage of their lives; they're more focused on their current context.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 02-28-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-28-2017, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

From that poll it makes me sad that 1/3 of Greek women at W&L want to leave their national organization. I wonder what that number looks like in a bigger picture?

And the biggest thing this shows to me is what can we do especially as alumnae to highlight the importance of the organization as a whole. I'm trying to think back to college and I know I was upset when people weren't taking ritual seriously when I was a senior.

seek the noblest
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM

I honestly don't think the majority of those women who said yes to leaving on that poll really want to leave. They want to see policy change, and don't feel there is any other way to make it happen. But there wasn't a poll option for that.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 PM

We have 18 new colony members at UW - Lacrosse!

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Sacred Heart University is open for expansion.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasprincess View Post
Alpha Chi Omega has been invited to re-colonize at Stanford University this spring!
YES!! So excited for this!!!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta's Executive Office announced today that our chapter at Indiana University has been closed immediately (effective 3/4/17). It appears that the chapter was on probation for activities that did not align with our purpose, and further issues have caused the chapter's charter to be revoked.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Does anyone know how many new members Theta's colony took at GWU? They seemed very excited to reestablish and I hope it went well!
Just a little update in case anyone was curious about this reestablishment - I just heard from their ELCs that their charter class is 88 new members! They are continuing with their COB process through the semester but seem extremely happy and excited to get involved.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Another busy weekend, this past Saturday the ZBT colony at University of Missouri officially received their charter. Congratulations to the new Omega Chapter.

Last night, ZBT pinned and initiated 32 founding fathers to the new colony at University of California-Davis. Congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood.

ZBT: "BROTHERHOOD AND BEYOND"
Old 03-06-2017, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Would love to know why this happened. They started an online petition to send to their HQs. I mean, you don't close down a 127-year old chapter for "nothing".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaEmi88 View Post
Tri Delta's Executive Office announced today that our chapter at Indiana University has been closed immediately (effective 3/4/17). It appears that the chapter was on probation for activities that did not align with our purpose, and further issues have caused the chapter's charter to be revoked.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Puget Sound Tri Delta

They had over 50 girls at bid day!
Old 03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Would love to know why this happened. They started an online petition to send to their HQs. I mean, you don't close down a 127-year old chapter for "nothing".
Oh my word the posts on those (yes, 2!!) petitions. Such anger towards HQ and nothing but "love and support" to the collegians. Anyone who is even slightly engaged as an alumna would realize this was not done without repeated violations, especially to a 127 year old chapter with a beautiful, historical house. Those who have signed have certainly misdirected their anger.

(but my guess is some of the most hatred laced comments are mammas of the precious snowflakes who got the chapter shut down)
Old 03-06-2017, 02:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
The CWRU Sigma Phi Epsilon charter was revolked last fall due to RM problems.
http://observer.case.edu/sigma-phi-e...ampus-charter/
I read that article at the Starbucks near the school. That's a shame.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 03-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Oh my word the posts on those (yes, 2!!) petitions. Such anger towards HQ and nothing but "love and support" to the collegians. Anyone who is even slightly engaged as an alumna would realize this was not done without repeated violations, especially to a 127 year old chapter with a beautiful, historical house. Those who have signed have certainly misdirected their anger.

(but my guess is some of the most hatred laced comments are mammas of the precious snowflakes who got the chapter shut down)
I read the change.org one and SMH. "We don't have all the facts"...seriously what? Whoever's writing the petition should be someone who's involved with the chapter and could actually say what should be done as far as an alternate reprimand. Instead this just reads as Annie Alumna who wouldn't know the current girls if she tripped over them and just doesn't want to have to be embarrassed about being from a closed chapter.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

What happens to their new members? Were they initiated? If not, can they join a different sorority?