GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,614
1 members and 1,613 guests
No Members online

Old 02-02-2016, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Association of Education Sororities and Professional Panhellenic Association

The current Professional Fraternity Association was formed in 1978 from the Professional Interfraternity Council (PIC) and the Professional Panhellenic Association (PPA). (The first being the ones which were men's groups, the second for women's groups.)

I've found that Alpha Sigma Alpha was a member of both the Association of Education Sororities (The AES merged with the NPC in 1951 bringing in the last large group of Sororities into the NPC) and the Professional Panhellic Association at least in 1943 http://issuu.com/alphasigmaalpha/doc..._no_4_may_1943 (page 39).

The other original driver in the AES was Sigma Sigma Sigma. What I'm trying to find out is whether Sigma Sigma Sigma (the organization in the NPC today) was one of the chartering groups for the Professional Panhellenic Association in 1925. One of the charterers for the PPA is called Sigma Sigma Sigma, but I'm not totally sure that it is the same group The group in the PPA was listed as having an emphasis in Education which would certainly fit with the now NPC Sigma Sigma Sigma being in the AES...

An additional piece of information the January 1944 copy of ASA's Phoenix http://issuu.com/alphasigmaalpha/doc..._no_2_jan_1944 (page 13) had a report from the PPA's 11th Biennial Convention. That also includes a mention of a Leader of Sigma Sigma Sigma running the Alumnae contacts email. But I'm still not 100.000% sure that the Sigma Sigma Sigma in the AES with Alpha Sigma Alpha is the same one that is in the PPA with them.

(And one way or another, I wonder how much overlap there was between the PPA and AES)

Any ideas? I'm considering calling Sigma Sigma Sigma headquarters tomorrow (Tuesday) morning...

Last edited by naraht; 02-02-2016 at 01:29 AM. Reason: adding the convention
Old 02-03-2016, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Solved.

I did write the Tri-Sigma Executive Director, but I actually found the answer in, oddly enough, an edition (October 1944) of the Alpha Sigma Tau Anchor.

From "The Report of the Association of Education Sororities Representatives"

"Three members of the Association of Education Sororities have also been members of the Women's Professional Panhellenic Association - Sigma Sigma Sigma, Alpha Sigma Alpha, and Theta Sigma Upsilon. The Council of Alpa Sigma Tau has always felt that we do not belong in the professional group and so have never affiliated. These three sororities have likewise reached this decision in regard to such membership and have recently voted to drop out of the P. P. A. Thus we agreed that all Association of Education Sororities members are social sororities functioning in the field of education."