GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,591
3 members and 2,588 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Titchou

Old 01-08-2012, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Her husband gave her more than syphilis. He gave her cervical cancer so aggressive it killed her despite major cobalt radiation. Those cells grew in vitro when no cells had been successfully cultured before. That was a virulent case of HPV. Her cells were actually used to prove the link between HPV and cervical cancer.
I understand that--I did read the book.

What bothered me was the fact that his repeated infidelities resulted not only in the cancer, but delayed treatment. At least once, they had to stop the radiation therapy so she could be treated for syphillis. That's what I was referring to specifically.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I understand that--I did read the book.

What bothered me was the fact that his repeated infidelities resulted not only in the cancer, but delayed treatment. At least once, they had to stop the radiation therapy so she could be treated for syphillis. That's what I was referring to specifically.
Okay. I see what you are saying. Of course, they had a very interesting relationship. They undoubtably loved each other, but he was quite the cad.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I expected to LOVE it, but I'm merely muddling through. I keep wanting it to be as awesome as The Tao of Pooh, but it's just not. Next on the docket - The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut.

A pretty good one I've read recently is A Case of Exploding Mangoes, about a guy in the Pakistani army. It's fiction, almost farcical, but does provide some insight about the mindset of Pakistanis and their military.

Other than that I've actually left 2 books unfinished recently. A book has to seriously suck for me to walk away from it so that is NOT good.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Other than that I've actually left 2 books unfinished recently. A book has to seriously suck for me to walk away from it so that is NOT good.
I know what you mean. I've tried to read A Confederacy of Dunces several times now, and just can't get through it. I want to like it, I just can't.

I'm planning on starting The Help soon. It's been on the To Read list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post

I'm planning on starting The Help soon. It's been on the To Read list, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Just started The Help after watching the movie. Already can't put it down, and I know what happens! Great read!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know what you mean. I've tried to read A Confederacy of Dunces several times now, and just can't get through it. I want to like it, I just can't.

I read that late last year. After growing up on the Gulf Coast, I was constantly told how great a book it was...I finally made time to read it and I was like, "this is it?" The guy just seemed so disgusting to me!

The Help is fantastic. I read it pretty much in one sitting.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still stuck on the YA series lit. I've got the Lord of the Rings trilogy started (as of a month ago) and after how terrible the prologue was, I'm having trouble getting into it and keep shoving it aside for things that don't require my full concentration and brain power - hence, the YA lit.

Finished Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers #5, and am sort of disappointed to find out that another is coming out, since this one had a pretty satisfying ending (if somewhat predictable halfway through). I feel like tacking another on is going to jump the shark.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
Just started The Help after watching the movie. Already can't put it down, and I know what happens! Great read!!!
Book is way better than the movie!

Reading KissKiss by Roald Dahl, sinister short stories. Love it. Also reading The picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. Love it so far.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVED A Confederacy of Dunces, but it is definitely odd and you do have to be patient for the big quirky pay-off at the end.

There's another book I read that didn't make ANY sense until literally the last page when what seemed like 400 different threads all finally came together. It's a book about a college town that has to be a combo of Iowa and Iowa State. The writer I think was from UNI so that's plausible. If I can think of it or figure it out from google, I'll letcha know.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

My last two books were e by Matthew Beaumont and Bossypants by Tina Fey

Clearly, I enjoy very light reading, lol
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Dubai Sis, is it Moo by Jane Smiley? I haven't read it yet, but after loving A Thousand Acres to death, I wanted to try other novels she'd written, so I picked up Ten Days in the Hills, and what a disaster, speaking of not finishing a book. I was working through it at a glacial pace last year, waiting to be interested, when a friend of mine died rather young and suddenly. That made me realize it could happen to anyone at any time, so why waste time on terrible books? Nowadays I'm a lot quicker to pull the trigger on books and movies that I don't seem to enjoy.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just coming on to answer. A facebook friend popped in to answer my question before my head had to explode. Yes, Moo. Why a book about a pig would be called Moo is beyond me. I haven't read A Thousand Acres, but Moo has really stuck with me even though I only read it once YEARS ago, and it was a borrowed copy. It is one you have to stick with. Wikipedia says there are more than a dozen overlapping plot lines. But again, they don't overlap until the end, but it's hysterical when they do. I would recommend it!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was just coming on to answer. A facebook friend popped in to answer my question before my head had to explode. Yes, Moo. Why a book about a pig would be called Moo is beyond me. I haven't read A Thousand Acres, but Moo has really stuck with me even though I only read it once YEARS ago, and it was a borrowed copy. It is one you have to stick with. Wikipedia says there are more than a dozen overlapping plot lines. But again, they don't overlap until the end, but it's hysterical when they do. I would recommend it!
It was called Moo because the school's nickname was Moo U.

And it was pretty damn amusing, I agree.

If you liked that - you might like Alison Lurie - Foreign Affairs in particular is quite good, and has that same academia setting. Sort of.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I thought I was the only one who felt that way about it.

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and have a few more pages of The Pillars of the Earth. I really like it.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-09-2012, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I LOVED A Confederacy of Dunces, but it is definitely odd and you do have to be patient for the big quirky pay-off at the end.

There's another book I read that didn't make ANY sense until literally the last page when what seemed like 400 different threads all finally came together. It's a book about a college town that has to be a combo of Iowa and Iowa State. The writer I think was from UNI so that's plausible. If I can think of it or figure it out from google, I'll letcha know.
I read 3/4 of it and stopped. I got tired of his belching. Maybe I'll have to go back and finish it since it would be nice to say I actually read the whole thing. What did he call his GI problem? I've blanked out on that.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!