GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,612
1 members and 1,611 guests
No Members online

Old 01-24-2013, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Delta Theta and Delta Gamma connection

I've posted a blog about the Phi Delta Theta and Delta Gamma connection.

Here's the start of the post:

There are a few men who names emerge in the history of women's fraternities/sororities. These men include Dr. Wesley P. Coddington, Dr. Charles Richardson, Dr. Guy Potter Benton, and the Right Reverend Edward D. Kelly. The man most influential in the early growth of the women's fraternity system during the 1870-80s is George Banta. He was a stalwart proponent of Greek-letter life for all of his adult years. He was both a Phi Delta Theta and a Delta Gamma.

This post is courtesy of Delta Gamma and its Fraternity Archivist, Marilyn Ellis Haas. Originally published in the Winter 1993 Anchora, the article quoted below was written by Frances Lewis Stevenson with Carmalieta Dellinger Jenkins. Frances was one of Delta Gamma's first traveling consultants and she worked at Headquarters for 39 years. Among the jobs she held during those years were Historian and Anchora Editor. The archives are named in her honor. Carmalieta served as Assistant to the President of the Phi Delta Theta Educational Foundation and former Executive Secretary of Delta Gamma Fraternity.

"Generations of Delta Gamma pledge lessons have been learned and, often, buried amidst the bits and scraps of information our minds collect. It is likely, however, that one myth could be instantly recalled from many Delta Gammas' mental files - while what could be more important information has been discarded. It is this: Phi Delta Theta is Delta Gamma's 'brother fraternity.' This has been accepted as fact whether or not a Phi Delt chapter existed on one's campus.

If you'd like to read more, the post is at http://wp.me/p20I1i-AS

At the end of the Anchora article, the authors make certain that the reader realizes that this connection is only a myth, ""Phi Delta Theta as Delta Gamma's 'brother Fraternity' is indeed a myth, but as the myth can be credited to the energies of one brother, George Banta, who saw to the growth which created this truly international organization, Delta Gamma."