GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,263
4 members and 1,259 guests
prettyandpearls, samuepetrovo164

Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy 100th Birthday Delta Sigma Theta!

January 13, 2013 marks the 100th birthday of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority. To commemorate the occasion, the sorority celebrated with a float entered in the New Year's Day Tournament of Roses Parade. The theme of the float was "Transforming Communities through Sisterhood and Service." Delta Sigma Theta was the first African-American women's organization and the first National Pan-Hellenic Council Greek-letter organization to sponsor a float in the parade. The National President, Cynthia M. A. Butler-McIntyre, and Past Presidents as well as the Executive Board, rode on the float. Marching alongside it were 122 Deltas wearing red and white, 100 marking each year of public service and 22 in honor of the founders.

Delta Sigma Theta was founded at Howard University by 22 collegians - Winona Cargile Alexander, Madree Penn White, Wertie Blackwell Weaver, Vashti Turley Murphy, Ethel Cuff Black, Frederica Chase Dodd, Osceola Macarthy Adams, Pauline Oberdorfer Minor, Edna Brown Coleman, Edith Mott Young, Marguerite Young Alexander, Naomi Sewell Richardson, Eliza P. Shippen, Zephyr Chisom Carter, Myra Davis Hemmings, Mamie Reddy Rose, Bertha Pitts Campbell, Florence Letcher Toms, Olive Jones, Jessie McGuire Dent, Jimmie Bugg Middleton, and Ethel Carr Watson.

Nearly two months later, on March 3, 1913, the women took part in the historic suffrage march in Washington, D.C. They were the only African-American women's group to participate. Honorary member Mary Church Terrell joined them in their march.

In 1923, at the fifth national convention, Mary McLeod Bethune, a prominent educator, became an Honorary member of Delta Sigma Theta.
To read more: http://wp.me/p20I1i-vY
Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Centennial to the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta! I just found out today that Melissa Harris-Perry is a Delta- she talked about it a little bit today on her show. I love her!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Happy 100th Anniversary.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cjburris93 Send a message via Yahoo to cjburris93 Send a message via Skype™ to cjburris93
Wishing a Happy Centennial to the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Here's to the next 100 years!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cjburris93 Send a message via Yahoo to cjburris93 Send a message via Skype™ to cjburris93
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Happy Centennial to the ladies of Delta Sigma Theta! I just found out today that Melissa Harris-Perry is a Delta- she talked about it a little bit today on her show. I love her!
Melissa Harris-Perry was initiated at the Pi Omicron chapter at Wake Forest University. She was smart as a tack, even then!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjburris93 View Post
Melissa Harris-Perry was initiated at the Pi Omicron chapter at Wake Forest University. She was smart as a tack, even then!
I’m sure! She said that she was president of her chapter, and I was not surprised at all.