GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,583
0 members and 1,583 guests
No Members online

Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I join a fraternity as a 2nd semester junior?

I am currently a junior at a university and I just transferred from a community college last semester. I will be a second semester junior this spring and I was wondering if it is still possible for me to rush and join a fraternity??? The fraternity I am joining is co-ed and it is more like an honor fraternity (no hazing, 3.0 min gpa).

what do you guys think? will they let me in?
also is it weird to go to rush events by yourself?

thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM

It depends on the school and on the chapter.

And no, it is not weird to go to rush events by yourself. It is actually preferable, as if you go with someone else you run the risk that they may hate your friend and not give you a bid even if they like you, because it's assumed that the two of you are a package.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlecap1990 View Post
I am currently a junior at a university and I just transferred from a community college last semester. I will be a second semester junior this spring and I was wondering if it is still possible for me to rush and join a fraternity??? The fraternity I am joining is co-ed and it is more like an honor fraternity (no hazing, 3.0 min gpa).

what do you guys think? will they let me in?
also is it weird to go to rush events by yourself?

thanks.
I'd say that you are fine. And there are definitely those on Greekchat who belong to all sorts of Greek Letter Organizations including those that are co-ed and non-housed. If the co-ed fraternity has a forum here, you may want to specifically ask there as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

This will be my first time rushing and I am kind of nervous. Do you think that they will also judge you by your looks?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

Yes, you will be judged by how you present yourself, just like in every other facet of life. If you show up dressed inappropriately, unshowered and with messy hair, then it will be to your detriment.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

How am I supposed to dress up?
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlecap1990 View Post
How am I supposed to dress up?
Depends on the event and ask someone in the chapter...

I'm a brother of Alpha Phi Omega which is co-ed service fraternity and non-housed, I remember at least one rush event that was primarily a Movie or TV event in the large TV room in one of the Dorms. Showing up at *that* much better dressed than a polo shirt and slacks would have been looked at oddly. Clean and showered of course.

Also my chapter had service projects in the rush calendar which were pretty grimy. (clearing out brush for a community garden in a local park) the appropriate dress for that of course was Jeans and a T.

OTOH, if, for example, it is based around a specific Major and the meeting will be in the evening at the Department Conference Room, I'd go with Polo and Slacks or maybe a step up from that.

(I'm giving levels of dress in "Male" because I am male and women are taught early what dress for women corresponds to specific male dress. Men are almost *never* taught the equivalent.)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
(I'm giving levels of dress in "Male" because I am male and women are taught early what dress for women corresponds to specific male dress. Men are almost *never* taught the equivalent.)
It's a shame, too. If we're going out, my husband usually waits for me to get dressed, then matches me.