GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,611
1 members and 1,610 guests
No Members online

Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Again, please name some of these feminist extremists that are such a threat to Rush and his ilk.
He had a spoof "commercial" for a feminazi trading card set back in the early 1990s. There were only a small number of people included. I believe there is video of him naming names - I can't access video where I am.

I have no idea if anyone is a threat to Rush Limbaugh and his ilk - I'm merely correcting the record that it doesn't include any woman who supports gender equality.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

In some ways yes, in some ways no. Some chapters more so, others less.

In and of themselves, strong organizations run, headed and founded by intelligent, determined women for hundreds of years is an ode to women in and of itself.

If anything I'd say sororities are "womanist", or pro-female, more or less, as generally all of our ideals co-align with philanthropy, sisterhood and strong moral codes and creeds.

On the other hand, I've read disturbing accounts of racism in Greek life, particularly in southern schools, though I'm sure it exists across the board. Greek life is not exclusively "white", but it tends to ultimately favor white, cis-gendered, straight women. There are definitely areas of Greek life to critique, and I think discussions like these are essential and important and should not be stamped out.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
What's wrong with having one of the reasons for joining a group be to meet appropriate nice and educated men who might make good husbands? I don't think wanting to be happily married with children makes you less of a woman. Isn't feminism supposed to be about giving women choices to do what they want in life?
Well there are different schools of feminist thought, and though I'd say yes in a broad sense, but feminism is also about demystifying women and fighting stereotypes, expectations and gender roles that ultimately harm many -if not all - women.

However I completely agree that no one should be looked down upon for making her own way in the world and being happily married with children. That's a wonderful and rightful choice.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a feminist. If GC would let me post a picture on this post it would be this: http://store.feminist.org/thisiswhat...ackte,e-1.aspx
(I have a bunch of stickers with this slogan.)

I'm a member of an NPC group, and the P.E.O. Sisterhood, and the American Association of University Women. "Educated women" is a radical feminist concept, going back to Elena Piscopia (first woman to get a PhD, circa 1678) and, in the U.S. Mary Lyon, Emma Willard, Catharine Beecher, et al.

I read "The Feminine Mystique" when I went through Panhellenic rush/recruitment in September, 1970, and did not then (nor do I now) consider that contradictory or ironic.

I recommend reading "Bound by a Mighty Vow: Sisterhood and Women's Fraternities," by Diana Turk, and "When Everything Changed: the Amazing Journey of American Women, 1960 to the Present," by Gail Collins. (You can borrow both of them from your library. But you knew that already, didn't you?)