GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,551
1 members and 1,550 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
The photographs said to me "sad" and "lonely". Neither of those words would describe the collegiate experience of any sorority woman I've ever met.
I COMPLETELY agree. My sorority experience is definitely not reflected in those photos. It is a VERY interesting concept. And I do feel that in defining the sorority experience, there certainly could be some somber, lonely photos, but they would be 2 or 3 photos out of a 100 photo collection.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I'm talking about the photography itself, not the subject matter. I see a bunch of forgettable snapshots. I'm very surprised to learn that the photographer is a resident artist at a good university. I don't see any creativity here.

I've seen candid portraits of unsmiling, ordinary people that were gorgeous art and/or shed a lot of light on the subject or the photographer's point of view. Not this. I don't know why I would go see them on a gallery wall.
Hey all, I'm the photographer.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and for looking at my photographs (both online and in person at the LDSOA gallery). I'm still in the very beginning stages of this project... still learning about Sorority life and still learning to capture those truth-telling moments. I'm so sorry that some of you didn't find the work very compelling. I appreciate the critique. So, how can I do better? How can I do you right and better show and understand Sorority Life?

Seriously, I welcome any feedback on this and would be honored if you would share more of your thoughts.

All Best,
Kelly
Old 01-15-2013, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Kelly, you rock for posting! Kudos to you for tackling a difficult subject, and then asking for critiques. I don't dislike any of them, but they make me feel a little sad. Yes, they are normal, average college girls. But the way they are staged makes them feel so.... isolated. I don't think a single one of us would ever call our Greek experience "isolating."

If I were you, I would ask some of the houses if you could come and take pictures of their daily life at the house, during philanthropy events, during sporting events, etc. Find the girl who is up to her elbows in dirty dishwater (if they exist! Could be unheard of down South! ) Tackle the subject as "sisters." Then tackle the subject of the individuals that make up the sisterhood, much as you already have during Recruitment. At work, at the library, while doing house chores, etc. Tell the girls you will not showcase anything "typical." (The "Sorority Pose" comes to mind, with hands on hips, plastic smiles, etc. I hate that pose.)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Kelly-- so glad you joined us! I am a sorority alum who initiated many years ago and am now mom to a college student. There are many alumnae out here who are still involved with sorority life, perhaps as a chapter adviser or as someone who just helps out behind the scenes during the busy recruitment season. My sorority has played different roles in different seasons of life, but it is always a facet of who I am -- and I still have reunions with many women who were in my pledge class back in the late 1970's! The connection is strong and far-reaching. I am a firm believer of, and witness to, sororities building strong women, equipping them for many challenges and opportunities in life and allowing them to be part of something that is much bigger than themselves.

An article said that you were intrigued after seeing such large numbers of young women pursue sorority recruitment at UGA. Their interest begs the questions: What do they hope to find? Why is this important to them? Who are the women behind the letters on those houses? What has contributed to the strength and longevity of these organizations? What is it about the experience that keeps alumnae interested and involved even decades later? Why do they hope their own daughters and granddaughters will pursue it?

There is an expression about Greek Life that says" "From the outside looking in, you can't understand it; from the inside looking out, you can't explain it." There is some truth to that, but I think I would take photos that try to offer insight into the above questions. IrishLake's suggestion of capturing everyday life is excellent. I would love to see photos of sisters studying together, sharing a meal, expressing emotional support, engaging in conversation, helping with tasks and just relaxing together.

On another note, sororities have causes they support and many raise thousands of dollars annually for charitable organizations. It would be lovely to see photos that express this important element of sorority life. As for events that are strictly social, those also represent part of the experience, so I would include photos of that nature too.

As for the individual sorority woman -- who is she? She is the one hurrying to class with multitudes of other students. She may be studying to become an educator, physician, journalist, social worker or stock broker. She might be in love, dream of travelling abroad, pray for a better world, worry about failing finals, miss her dog back home, work part-time to help pay her dues, enjoy debating politics and social problems and choke up during Hallmark commercials...despite the stereotypes placed on her, she is like so many other young women in her age bracket.

In addition to their own organizations, sorority women are also part of the Panhellenic community. The vision of the National Panhellenic Conference is "Advancing the sorority experience together." Perhaps some photos of different sororities interacting and supporting each other's causes? It would also be neat to see a photo of current undergraduate members interacting with alumnae, showing that women of different generations still wear the same pin -- a shot of different age groups admiring a photo of the founders would be cool.

Well, this is rambling, but just some thoughts. I love your concept and think it's a great opportunity to show the different elements that sorority life embraces. Again, glad you joined us!

Last edited by greekdee; 01-16-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

It's wonderful that you posted here. The thing I think is missing in your photos is the true small moments of sisterhood we have every day. Sure rush, formals, philanthropy events and stuff make a big show, but it's the other times every day that most of us are in it. It's about being around the tv and acting goofy and funny together because now there are twenty other people who like your show and watch with you and get it. It's having a bunch of people who will go out late at night with you to get froyo because you have to have it now and then you make a side trip to the store and dance in the aisles because it's fun and silly and you're so happy. It's coming home with bad news and having a huge circle of people to wrap you in comfort and love. It's looking across a huge lecture hall and seeing one of your sisters and knowing there will be someone who will understand how ridic the class and professor are and who might be able to help you understand a concept you don't get before the next exam. It's having people to celebrate the good too. It's what you can't explain to those outside and the quick sisterhood moments that you can't capture with a camera. That's why I think it will be hard to get a true perspective of what it is really like. You have to live us to really understand us. Does that make sense?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I agree that the photo subjects appeared sad, lonely and isolated. While anyone can have those feelings at anytime in life (even sorority girls ;-)), those are not the first feelings/experiences that come to mind when I reflect on my collegiate sorority experience. To me, the girls who were the subjects of your photographs might be any college age young woman, unless that was your intention-to show that sorority members are just average people (who do amazing things, except the amazing things were not shown), which is a valid point.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
It's wonderful that you posted here. The thing I think is missing in your photos is the true small moments of sisterhood we have every day. Sure rush, formals, philanthropy events and stuff make a big show, but it's the other times every day that most of us are in it. It's about being around the tv and acting goofy and funny together because now there are twenty other people who like your show and watch with you and get it. It's having a bunch of people who will go out late at night with you to get froyo because you have to have it now and then you make a side trip to the store and dance in the aisles because it's fun and silly and you're so happy. It's coming home with bad news and having a huge circle of people to wrap you in comfort and love. It's looking across a huge lecture hall and seeing one of your sisters and knowing there will be someone who will understand how ridic the class and professor are and who might be able to help you understand a concept you don't get before the next exam. It's having people to celebrate the good too. It's what you can't explain to those outside and the quick sisterhood moments that you can't capture with a camera. That's why I think it will be hard to get a true perspective of what it is really like. You have to live us to really understand us. Does that make sense?
Makes PERFECT sense to me! I love this, Old_Row.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
7, 1, 3, 2, 5, 8, 6, 4, 9, 5 (same girl), 6 (same girl), 10, 11
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Reorganizing my response