GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,578
2 members and 1,576 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it odd that I've never heard of HSH Princess Angela...I remember a ton of news stories about Queen Noor (married to the Late King of Jordan) back in the day.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
I find it odd that I've never heard of HSH Princess Angela...I remember a ton of news stories about Queen Noor (married to the Late King of Jordan) back in the day.
Well not just her, remember when Marie-Chantal Miller married Prince Pavlos of Greece? That was in 1995. People magazine did a 10-page spread and it included not only a family picture (it had just about every royal in Europe) but a picture of her $20,000 cake which was based on thier china pattern.

Maybe we should write to Oprah.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
thats interesting, i thought it was older than that. and i remember a couple of years ago there was all this talk about having a magazine that spoke more to younger black woman. i guess a cross between essence and cosmo?

that was when Vibe Vixen came out... and we saw where that went. wasn't savoy and honey, among others, trying to do the same thing?

maybe essence is trying their hand at appealing to a younger demographic.

and just like some of you mentioned you've outgrown Essence, i havent really grown into it... so im stuck reading about how to buy a home, meet mr right at work, and finding the right pediatrician. which is great i guess... but i aint there yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Does anyone remember a short-lived magazine called 'Honey'. It seemed its target age group was 18-25. I used to buy it, but I think it is no longer published.
that's what i thought, but the interweb wont give me anything on it.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^^ Don't know how I missed that in your post about Honey. I really did like that magazine. It was more about fashion and lifestyle and not very political. I think I may still have a few old copies of it at my mom's house.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't know about HSH until I read your blog! Normally, I'm up on that sort of thing.

After growing up with Essence in the house, I realized that there were things I was interested in other than:

-finding/keeping a good Black man
-getting my money straight (I have a planner for that one, thanks!)
-losing weight

Don't get me started on Ebony, either. They have had the same five articles FOREVER:
-most eligible bachelors/bachelorettes
-some recipes for diabetics
-something about the Fashion Fair
-which GM or Ford car to buy this year
-and some entertainer

I just don't read that many magazines anymore.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
Well not just her, remember when Marie-Chantal Miller married Prince Pavlos of Greece? That was in 1995. People magazine did a 10-page spread and it included not only a family picture (it had just about every royal in Europe) but a picture of her $20,000 cake which was based on thier china pattern.

Maybe we should write to Oprah.
Oh yeah...I forgot about this....interesting none the less.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

lol

CLUCKER CHRONICLES...sista you said a mouth full. i officially ended my membership about 4 years ago. a friend gave me a year subscription as a gift soon thereafter. i have tried to look at the redeeming qualities of this magazine, but frankly, they recycle the same junk over and over again. to me, they are trying to be an upscale vibe--when vibe was a decent magazine. essence hasnt spoken to me in years. any articles worth the time are watered down. how many "how to get your man" type articles are we going to see? the beauty section leaves much to be desired. again, just recycled crap.

just a hot mess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
Thanks for the nice shout out about the blog! I'm glad to read that you enjoy it. You can subscribe to the blog for updates as well.

OK...back to Ms. Coles - I'm glad it's not me just getting old. I like her new haircut and think that she will look great on the cover of Hype Hair! (Smile SistaGreekNikki)

I like Mediatakeout.com for Black entertainment gossip and they do a pretty good job of provide scoop on celebs like her. So, I don't feel like I need to see them on the cover of Essence.

I mean, do we really need another installment of the 'clucker chronicles' by Kim Porter
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

-hijack-

Black Socialite, do you know HSH? Umm, how about getting her to give a seminar on how to hook up with a PRINCE!!!! (or whatever he is to go titles after his name!)

- endhijack
Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Meeting a Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody View Post
-hijack-

Black Socialite, do you know HSH? Umm, how about getting her to give a seminar on how to hook up with a PRINCE!!!! (or whatever he is to go titles after his name!)

- endhijack
Hey there Jody,

I have not had the pleasure of meeting HSH Princess Angela of Liechenstein (I think I spelled this right).

Her husband is a Prince and here's a tip for meeting your own prince...you may already already know him!

Real "princes" may be tough to score and many of their marriages are pre-arranged - so look to some of your male friends that are "buddies" as possible partners.

I find many women (and I am as guilty as most) make good men our "friends" and then we chase after the knuckleheads.

It took me a lot of heartache and headaches to learn this lesson.
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Does anyone remember a short-lived magazine called 'Honey'. It seemed its target age group was 18-25. I used to buy it, but I think it is no longer published.
I use to get Honey and then all of a sudden I started getting a new magazine called Vibe Honey. I wonder if its the same thing?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Honey has been defunct for about 3-4 years now... I've never heard of Vibe Honey, but Vibe Vixen comes out every couple of months... It doesn't compare... Does anyone remember Suede magazine? It was huge and full of fabulous fashion... It probably cost too much to produce... I wish it was still in print though... (I know, I'm off topic, but I'm just following suit)
Old 09-17-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
I remember trying to get a subscription to Honey and wondered why they never sent me a magazine. I found out later that they went bust (luckly I never paid any $ for it). Suede was started by Essence, but they never took off either. Now Vibe Vixen has either gone totally bust or they are doing it on only a special issue basis. The one with Rhianna was the last issue.

Maybe I'm in the age group that they are looking at, but I feel that a lot what Essence has applies to me. I've enjoyed a lot of their articles lately. I do want to add that I was actually kind of happy to see someone different on the cover (even if it was Keyshia). I was tired of seeing Queen Latifiah, Beyonce, Monique or Mary J on my cover (but I still do like them all).

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan

Last edited by jitterbug13; 09-17-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectMistake View Post
Honey has been defunct for about 3-4 years now... I've never heard of Vibe Honey, but Vibe Vixen comes out every couple of months... It doesn't compare... Does anyone remember Suede magazine? It was huge and full of fabulous fashion... It probably cost too much to produce... I wish it was still in print though... (I know, I'm off topic, but I'm just following suit)
Oops, that's what it is I'm getting! Vibe Vixen! The format is sooo much like Honey (although in Vibe Vixen, the color of their fonts are WAYYY too light).
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a magazine junkie, but I never really cared for Suede or Savoy.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

All of these magazines start to recycle the same stuff over and over again. The only one I read with consistency was Emerge because the articles about black politics and education were always hard hitting. Remember when they did a cover with Clarence Thomas on the cover entitled "Uncle Thomas" and had his head covered like Aunt Jemima. I knew they couldn't last long because advertisers would get scared.

Essence used to do 3-4 page feature stories that were in depth. Now they barely cover 2 full pages and the interviews are edited down to nothing. Guest celebrity writers is a pitiful concept because they always want to interject themselves instead of letting the person talk. I hated the interview that Terry McMillan did with Jill Scott. Oh, and I'm not sure if it was Essence or Heart and Soul that did an inteview with Nicole Ari Parker where she said she was angry all the time. Nobody even bothered to follow up with "why is that?"

I do better just reading the stuff from the internet and calling it a day.