GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 858
3 members and 855 guests
LarryByday

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I think some of them are cute, but when they start being so convoluted that it looks like they are 18 year olds with arthritis, it just gets silly. The Alpha Xi XI is pretty self-evident, and the Delta and diamond are cute, easy and require only minimal explanation, which is good! But I've seen some that just look painful.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I agree. Any time I see a handsign from an NPC group, I think it's just a rip-off of the NPHC.
We have had this discussion on GC many times over the past 100 years. LOL. I recall someone saying that NPC had handsigns that were often used in private rather than public.

The biggest thing I always wondered is why these women are doing handsigns when they have yet to be initiated. Haven't they just accepted bids? Are they doing the sorority handsigns or are these "future initiate" handsigns? I am truly curious.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
We have had this discussion on GC many times over the past 100 years. LOL. I recall someone saying that NPC had handsigns that were often used in private rather than public.

The biggest thing I always wondered is why these women are doing handsigns when they have yet to be initiated. Haven't they just accepted bids? Are they doing the sorority handsigns or are these "future initiate" handsigns? I am truly curious.
Don't need to be initiated to do something that has absolutely no meaning or connection with the organization.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Speaking of poses, there was an interesting pose we noted this year at convention that was "odd". The girls stand front to back in a line with arms bent forward. They then place their hand on top of the girl's arm in front of them or cup their hand under the mid arm of the girl in front of them. It looks like a weird chain of girls. Hoping that doesn't catch on.
The first thing you mention (placing their hands on top of the girl's arm in front) sounds like what I would call a lockup. Does it look like this?

As for cupping the mid arm, I think I know what you're talking about and it's something (in conjunction with a lean) that I always attribute to Delta Sigma Theta, even though I know other sororities do it as well.

Disclaimer: These are public pictures on Google images before anyone gets wild.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
More KSU bid day:

The day starts with taking fun pics hanging out in front of the house waiting to walk over to Bid Night:

Then there's the walk over to Bid Night. Most of the chapters live on one road across the street from the Student Center. So it's a short walk over. The chapters carry signs, do cheers, honk airhorns and it's just a really exciting time.

Once chapters get to the ballroom, it gets even more fun/crazy. Everyone is just chanting, doing cheers, blowing whistles, etc. Members get on stage and blow airhorns. As you can see, it's insane.

The NMs are backstage. They are announced one by one (they've accepted their bids and everything so it's not like they're surprised with "heyyy you're XYZ") and they run down to their chapter who is yelling and screaming for them. The end result looks something like this:

It all makes for a really fun day!

Just wanted to let peeps know that they can see more pics from Kent bid day here:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....udio?sk=photos

Chapters with photos up: Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Tri Sigma, Alpha Xi Delta, Delta Gamma. I think Alpha Phi may have used a different photo guy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
The first thing you mention (placing their hands on top of the girl's arm in front) sounds like what I would call a lockup. Does it look like this?

As for cupping the mid arm, I think I know what you're talking about and it's something (in conjunction with a lean) that I always attribute to Delta Sigma Theta, even though I know other sororities do it as well.

If this is what AOII Angel is talking about, I want the record to show that these are not NPC sororities.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don't need to be initiated to do something that has absolutely no meaning or connection with the organization.
Why are they doing it if it has absolutely no meaning or connection with the organization? I am not talking about a formal meaning mandated by NHQ. I am talking about the informal meaning that some sisters/chapters have given it.

Here is why I say that:
The handsigns and calls that are done by many if not most NPHC, MCGLO, LGLO, and AGLO are not "official" but they are done for a number of reasons. That's why they tend to be reserved for those who are initiated. Those who have yet to be initiated have other things that they do.

Last edited by DrPhil; 09-20-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:

Heyyyyyyy that pic the top is from my school!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Sorta, but for the first picture, the handsould not go behind the other girls arm. For the second pose, they don't lean back, but at least now I know where this is coming from.

AOII

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why are they doing it if it has absolutely no meaning or connection with the organization? I am not talking about a formal meaning mandated by NHQ. I am talking about the informal meaning that some sisters/chapters have given it.

Here is why I say that:
The handsigns and calls that are done by many if not most NPHC, MCGLO, LGLO, and AGLO are not "official" but they are done for a number of reasons. That's why they tend to be reserved for those who are initiated. Those who have yet to be initiated have other things that they do.
Because it's cool and trendy. (note is not at you!)

AOII

Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Because it's cool and trendy. (note is not at you!)

That makes sense. Cool and trendy.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorta, but for the first picture, the handsould not go behind the other girls arm. For the second pose, they don't lean back, but at least now I know where this is coming from.
Does it look silly when they do it? LOL
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think so.

AOII

Old 09-20-2011, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Sorta, but for the first picture, the handsould not go behind the other girls arm.
I'm picturing an awkward back hug. I hope that's not right.

Quote:

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDMafia
The hand signs don't really bother me. In the early 2000s, my chapter did them and I've just recently seen the Chi Omegas start there as well. I wonder if it grew with the ease of picture taking. Students these days take pictures of everything and I think it became a fun way for sisters to identify themselves even if they weren't wearing letters.

I feel that it's harmless and they have fun with it. With so many activities not being allowed due to potential for hazing I feel these organizations are just developing new ways to identify themselves or to differentiate their role/pride in the organization. The same thing with the "Babies" It shows progression and yeah it's cutsie but in the long run relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things.. JMHO

I look at it the same way they experiment with the shorting of the letters "GphiB" or all the different ways KD and others experiment with saying their names