GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,361
2 members and 2,359 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Dual Membership

Hail Brothers,

I have a question for all of you. I was recently initiated into Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. My chapter is relatively small and while we have a lot of great ideas, we don't have a lot of follow through. Our chapter is also not "recognized" by my school because we aren't "social". After being intitated I have been really impressed by some of the other "social" fraternities on campus. I have recently been thinking about rushing a social fraternity. What are you guys' opinions on being a Sinfonian and a member of a social fraternity? Is it shameful, or just a viable option for someone in love with greek life.

Hope to hear soon.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome, and congrats on your initiation! There aren't many of us around here, but I'll give you my two or three cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Coco View Post
I have a question for all of you. I was recently initiated into Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia. My chapter is relatively small and while we have a lot of great ideas, we don't have a lot of follow through. Our chapter is also not "recognized" by my school because we aren't "social".
I'm trying to understand exactly what you mean here about not being recognized because Sinfonia isn't social. Phi Mu Alpha is a social fraternity, but not a general social fraternity. Do you mean not a member of the campus IFC? And do you mean not recognized by the school at all, or not recognized as a social fraternity? Are you classified as something different. And I assume your province governor is aware of your situation?

Quote:
After being intitated I have been really impressed by some of the other "social" fraternities on campus. I have recently been thinking about rushing a social fraternity. What are you guys' opinions on being a Sinfonian and a member of a social fraternity? Is it shameful, or just a viable option for someone in love with greek life.
There is nothing in our Constitution or General Regulations that prohibits dual membership in Sinfonia and a general social fraternity. In my experience, how acceptable it is depends largely on the chapter (and perhaps province) and campus attitudes. In some chapters, it's not considered that big of a deal. In other chapters, it's considered a very big deal and is heavily frowned upon. (I assume that for those chapters that are part of their campus IFC, it is forbidden.) I can't tell you how your chapter brothers would react or what the attitude on your campus would be. You may want to feel a few of them out on the subject.

Picking up on the first things you said -- chapter is small, great ideas but not a lot of follow through -- I'd encourage to add these to your equation of things to consider: What can you do to strengthen the chapter and make it better? How can you encourage (or lead) the chapter to provide the experiences you're looking for?

You might find your ultimate answer in your answer to these questions. You might not. But at least you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for and why, and how to talk with your brothers about it.

Good luck!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Dual Membership

I agree with my brother Mystic Cat's advice 100%. In my own personal opinion we are a social fraternity and pledging another social fraternity would be complete taboo. I have known some great brothers that have had dual membership. Overall, dual membership has decreased on a National level for many years now. A big part of this is that Sinfonia has been getting a lot more engaged with their local IFC and Student Organization groups on campus. I believe that there's great value brought to the table if we ever end up getting on board with the National IFC. That's a topic of huge debate for some brothers and a sore subject. The other challenge is getting the National IFC on board. Anyway, best of luck.

Boodleboy322
Old 05-04-2010, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

First Mystic Cat:

Yes when I say we aren't recognized by my school I mean that we are nto connected to the IFC at all. We are seen as a mix between a professional and social fraternity. We are generally mixed in with the professional fraternities such as the business fraternity. We have a different rush week from the IFC and we don't recieve invites to Greek Week or anything.

And I know there isn't anything constitutionally against it, my worry is most about upsetting my brothers. I know at my school it isn't uncommon for girls in SAI to also go social, this is only because the SAI girls are often much more adamant about greek life. I know that my chapter enjoys its seclusion from IFC, so I know me pushing to become more well known would not be recieved well.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Welcome, and congrats on your initiation!
Good for you Glen Coco, YOU GO GLEN COCO!

/end crash & hijack...couldn't help myself...

ETA: Just realized it's "four for you" not "good for you"...I am screwing up movie/tv quotes like it's my job, tonight.

Last edited by lovespink88; 05-04-2010 at 10:39 PM.