GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,386
1 members and 2,385 guests
naraht

Old 10-25-2000, 10:56 PM
Worried

Bush is a bigot, a hyprocite, insensitive thinkier, anti-homosexual, anti-women, and most importantly anti - American. Whose state ranks 49th in healthcare and education of children. BUSH. Whose state executed the most people ever in US history? BUSH. Basically, if you're a white male and rich, yes, you would want to vote for Bush but the common, everyday American will be in a sad state of affairs if Bush is elected. It will just be a repeat of the old Reagan/Bush days. How can you vote for someone so insenstive to the needs of America? Bush is a racist pig. I'm sorry but I just have to keep it real. No disrespect intended but it is the truth.
Old 10-25-2000, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Well, you were 50/50, I'm not rich....yet. However, I don't want a president in office who believes it is the government that will make me better off. Am I better off than I was 8 years ago (isn't that the Gore Mantra)? Yes, but the government had nothing to do with it, it was hard work and sacrifice to get me where I am today, and more hard work and sacrifice to get where I want to be. It's not the governments money, it's my money that has gotten me to the point I am at today.

If you think Bush is racist, consider the new Gore/NAACP ad about Mr. Byrd's horrific murder in Texas...let's see, 2 of the 3 are sentenced to death, and the third will spend the rest of his life behind bars...Liberals say this murder occurred because there is no Hate Crime law in Texas (which is not true, there is one, just not one the Liberals wanted). I'm not sure what a new liberal-based law would have added to this, unless maybe shooting the corpses of the executed?

I look at your two arguments differently....what state has the highest ranked black and white fourth graders in math? BUSH. Hispanics are fourth in BUSH's state. What state has made the greatest GAINS in healthcare and education since replacing a previous (LIBERAL DEMOCRAT) governor? BUSH. Which governor has not turned away from one of the gravest duties in carrying out the ultimate punishment for criminals (AND, had a dramatic DECREASE in crime in the state)? BUSH.

Insenstive to the needs of America? Gee, how good has Clinton done with our military? From LBJ to Bush (Sr.), we deployed our military for 10 actions, including Vietnam, Gulf War, Grenada, Panama, etc....Clinton/Gore has sent out troops out OVER 30 TIMES. For what? They went to Bosnia in 1996, for a one-year peacekeeping/nation-building mission, per Clinton. They are still there! I am a veteran, with many friends and relatives in uniform. I NEVER hear anything positive regarding the morale and state of our military from them, only complaints and exhaustion, and tired of equipment not working. Is that what you want for our military?

One last item: I will agree on one thing (so pay attention, it might be the only one)...the government has no right getting involved in abortion. I am firmly pro-life in my personal convictions, but, the government has no business getting involved in this most personal of issues.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 10-26-2000, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I do not like Cheney. He voted against the South African embargo during apartheid and called Mandela and the ANC a terrorist. Do we want this man to represent us. A man who approve apartheid?

------------------
“If you know anyone who got high on industrial hemp, tell the National Science Foundation and you’ll get a prize for the most unlikely scientific discovery ever. George Bush’s father was saved by a parachute made of industrial hemp."
-Ralph Nader
Old 10-26-2000, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Um don't forget this lovely quote:

"Whether Mormon, Methodist, Jewish, or Muslim, Americans should be able to participate in their constitutional free exercise of religion. I do not think witchcraft is a religion, and I do not think it is in any way appropriate for the U.S. military to promote it."--GW Bush

I think I have a slight problem with that. Witchcraft is a recognized and protected religion in the US--as of 1985. I guess we AREN'T given the freedom to worship or practice what we want, especially if we are in the military. LXA--I think the government has no business getting involoved in THIS most personal issue-- RELIGION

[This message has been edited by mgdzkm433 (edited October 26, 2000).]
Old 10-26-2000, 09:38 AM
c&c1913

Quote:
Originally posted by LXAAlum:

If you think Bush is racist, consider the new Gore/NAACP ad about Mr. Byrd's horrific murder in Texas...let's see, 2 of the 3 are sentenced to death, and the third will spend the rest of his life behind bars...Liberals say this murder occurred because there is no Hate Crime law in Texas (which is not true, there is one, just not one the Liberals wanted). I'm not sure what a new liberal-based law would have added to this, unless maybe shooting the corpses of the executed?

I look at your two arguments differently....what state has the highest ranked black and white fourth graders in math? BUSH. Hispanics are fourth in BUSH's state. What state has made the greatest GAINS in healthcare and education since replacing a previous (LIBERAL DEMOCRAT) governor? BUSH. Which governor has not turned away from one of the gravest duties in carrying out the ultimate punishment for criminals (AND, had a dramatic DECREASE in crime in the state)? BUSH.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited October 26, 2000).]
I had to jump in this one. I live in Texas. So I get to experience all of Bush's government. Crime has decreased? What part of Texas do you live in?
Racial issues, don't get me started. As a matter of fact, one of those convicted in the dragging death of Mr. Byrd was from my hometown.
Gains in healthcare and education? Where? I see high school and middle school drop-outs everyday. Teen pregnancy is rampant.
The increase I have seen is in the number of executions and highway construction.
I don't think Bush wants to really be president, just wants to ride on Daddy's coat tails. So Bush definitely will not get my vote!
Old 10-26-2000, 10:44 AM
ProudCanadian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Worried:
Maybe I will move to Canada with you...
If anyone out there is planning to make Canada their new home, please read the following (it was a Molson Canadian ad which was EXTREMELY popular in Canada...well, English Canada, anyway), or just watch the movie clip: http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~brewste/i.am/i-am.mov
----------------------------
"Hey.
I'm not a lumberjack, or a fur trader
...and I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber, or own a dogsled...
and I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada,
although I'm certain they're really, really nice.
I have a Prime Minister, not a President.
I speak English and French, NOT American.
and I pronounce it 'ABOUT', NOT 'A BOOT'.
I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack.
I believe in peace keeping, NOT policing.
Diversity, not assimilation,
And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal.
A toque is a hat,
A chesterfield is a couch,
And it is pronounced 'zed' not 'zee', 'zed'!!!
Canada is the second largest landmass!
The first nation of hockey!
And the best part of North America!
My name is Joe!!
AND I AM CANADIAN!!!!!!!!"
----------------------------
To learn more about Canada - The True North Strong and Free, visit: http://www.gc.ca/

Thank you.
P.S. As well as the USA, Canada is in the midst of a Federal Election as well. Betcha didn't know that?

Old 10-26-2000, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Well, crime has gone down 15% in the state of Texas (which is a higher decrease than the national average)...Texas has helped approximately 500,000 people off of welfare, two million new jobs have been created in Texas, over 50,000 uninsured Texas children have been added to state health care assistance, all under Bush's watch.

But hey, don't take my word for any of this. Where did I find this information? Here's the true irony of Gore's campaign...the above information comes from the White House website section that lists "Clinton-Gore administration accomplishments" state by state...

Now, I'm not a Texan, though I was born there (thanks to the military, and we moved when I was but 2 months old)...but I'll take someone who shows results over someone who is campaigning for the third straight time on the same issues he has failed to fix two times before. I may not agree 100% with everything Bush stands for, but I do know what he does stand for. With Gore, it depends on the hour, day, and minute, and poll results for him to embrace an issue. That is not leadership in my opinion. Sorry.
Old 10-26-2000, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

How hard is it to move to canada from the US and become a citizen? I've actually thought of doing this. We are also--believe it or not--thinking about moving to Korea (but not becoming citizens). Bryan could take on a job there teaching korean students english. . .how exciting!???!
Old 10-26-2000, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
How hard is it to move to canada from the US and become a citizen?
You can find really good info here which covers Canadian Citizenship and Immigration: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen/index.html

The website itself is quite comprehensive and very imformative about Canada.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:25 PM

Question

This is the oath you'll have to take. How do you feel about having to pledge allegiance to a Queen? Queen Elizabeth the 2nd is Queen of England and also Queen of Canada.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have to look into laws in canada before I could take an oath, it all depends on whether or not I agree with them. If I don't, then I wouldn't move, if I did, then I wouldn't have any problems with taking such an oath.
Old 10-26-2000, 04:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:
I would have to look into laws in canada before I could take an oath, it all depends on whether or not I agree with them. If I don't, then I wouldn't move, if I did, then I wouldn't have any problems with taking such an oath.
You can live in Canada while keeping your American citizenship too. You wouldn't have to give up your American citizen the second you hit the border, or anything like that. I believe you have to live in Canada for several years before getting to the "citizenship" stage, and whether to go for it, or not. I think it is cool that this interests you...more often than not, it is Canadians who want to get into the USA.
Old 10-26-2000, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I have actually read in the Education Journals that Texas schools are making a come up. I did a research paper on this last year. However, Bush will not get my vote.

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-26-2000, 06:35 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by c&c1913:
Beginning freshmen year of high school, students are put in TAAS preparation classes. The school district reinforces this because the fewer students that pass the less money/assistance the district gets. I also used to help college students who couldn't pass beginning algebra.

c&c1913, did you see the 60 Minutes report on the TAAS tests? It was just rerun recently. The report focused on how teachers are not teaching knowledge, they are teaching test-taking skills.

I remember when I was a little kidlet & we took standardized tests - we never even knew it was happening till it got plopped on our desk, & then we were "yeah, whatever." The point of tests like these is not only showing what you learned, it's that you learned how to learn and can apply it in different situations.

But in defense of the TAAS emphasis, people keep screaming at schools to show them numbers and results. How do you show them a kid who is now interested in science, or learned to read, or had his general intellectual curiousity awakened, because of a great teacher? You can't show that on paper. The only thing you can show is test scores. I wish people would wake up and realize how useless and stupid numbers and statistics are!

Oh....ooops...this doesn't have anything to do with Bush & Gore, does it??

Old 10-27-2000, 12:33 AM
c&c1913

LXAAlum, Thanks for the info on where to find the statistics.
The reason I say crime has not decreased? I used to work as a dispatcher for the local police department. Why education is declining? I have been a substitute teacher for the past 2 years and see kids who can't name a state capital or point out Italy on a map. Why aren't these things taught. Too much emphasis is put on TAAS tests for students to graduate. Beginning freshmen year of high school, students are put in TAAS preparation classes. The school district reinforces this because the fewer students that pass the less money/assistance the district gets. I also used to help college students who couldn't pass beginning algebra.

To be honest, neither candidate has blown me away. But I am more leery of Bush, than Gore.

Most people I speak to about voting are going by what they see or how their life is affected everyday. I don't really consider polls when evaluating candidates for any position because they are just "snapshots" of how people feel at a particular moment. I don't know who the phone polls interview because it's certainly not anyone I know. If anyone has actually participated in these polls let me know.

------------------
Sisterhood, Scholarship, & Service
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
"Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom"

[This message has been edited by c&c1913 (edited October 26, 2000).]