GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,309
1 members and 1,308 guests
speedsters

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Sophomore Recruitment at LU

Hi, I'm not really sure how this works, but hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by saying where I go to school.

I am a sophomore at Lehigh University, where we have a pretty big greek system for the size of our school. I am registered for formal recruitment in the spring and will be returning to campus early for that.

Although I was interested in joining a sorority my freshman year I did not rush because none of my close friends rushed and I did not want my friendships with them to change. I later came to somewhat regret that decision once when i saw how much all the other freshman who did join houses seemed to enjoy it. I decided to rush this spring (as did two of my close friends and a fair number of other sophomores) and am very excited about it. I was just wondering if you think I have an okay chance of receiving a bid as a sophomore. Also, I never know what to say when sisters ask why I didn't rush last year. Any suggestions about that or rushing in general?

Thanks!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:52 PM

I dont know how rush is at Lehigh, so I wont give advice there, but regarding what to say if members ask you why you did not go through recruitment last year..........just be honest and tell them the truth. Tell them you didnt know anyone else going through and wasnt sure it was right for you at that time.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 PM

I would definitely NOT say you didn't rush because none of your friends did. That makes you look like a sheep that can't do anything on your own. Plus, the sorority might think "oh God...if we take her, are we going to have to put up with her friends who don't want her to be here?" Just say you weren't sure you were ready for the commitment of a sorority at the time.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Eh, I'm agreeing more with ThetaPrincess here. I think that the truth is a good answer, and the fact she's going through recruitment now means that she's not tied down to what her friends think. You might say that you didn't know if you'd be able to keep those friendships if you were Greek and they were not, as sort of a clarification.

But clearly, just from these 3 posts there's not going to be a complete consensus on what you say, that's your call. I would focus more on why you want to rush now and less on why you didn't rush before, if possible.

ETClarify: 33girl, I see your point, I just wouldn't have had the same perspective on a rushee. As someone who only rushed because her mom wanted her to, I know that the reasons for going through recruitment (or not) don't always have anything to do with the reasons one stays in recruitment, gets offered a bid, or accepts her bid.

Last edited by Drolefille; 12-20-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:44 PM

I'm not telling her to not tell the truth - that she wasn't ready for the commitment to a sorority is definitely truthful. I'm just saying that not doing something because none of your friends were doing it is a little immature, and if a rushee said it to me, I would definitely have second thoughts about her. As you said, she needs to concentrate on now, not then, as she's done some growing up over the past year.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the olden days when I went through "rush", we loved taking sophmores as they had already finished a year of school (we did formal rush in fall), knew what was expected of them to pass their classes and knew whether or not they could afford the time needed to commit to the house.

Best wishes for a fantastic recruitment experience

DaffyKD
Old 12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm not telling her to not tell the truth - that she wasn't ready for the commitment to a sorority is definitely truthful. I'm just saying that not doing something because none of your friends were doing it is a little immature, and if a rushee said it to me, I would definitely have second thoughts about her. As you said, she needs to concentrate on now, not then, as she's done some growing up over the past year.
I agree. I think you can be honest without mentioning the opinions of your friends. I would try something like "I didn't know if it was right for me last year, but this year I know more about the Greek community and my ability to handle the time commitment, and I know it is the right choice now." This makes you sound like you have educated yourself, and you are making a more mature commitment.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

ETClarify: 33girl, I see your point, I just wouldn't have had the same perspective on a rushee. As someone who only rushed because her mom wanted her to, I know that the reasons for going through recruitment (or not) don't always have anything to do with the reasons one stays in recruitment, gets offered a bid, or accepts her bid.

I agree with this as the reasons one goes through recruitment dont always have anything to do with the reasons one stays in recruitment, gets offered a bid, accepts a bid, and remains in the sorority. I talked to more girls than not at our recruitment parties that were going through recruitment because either their mothers/sisters wanted them to or because their friends were doing it.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
jessicaelaine

i rushed as a sophomore too. although my school doesn't have formal recruitment and with only three sororities, it's not very competitive, waiting really helped me. i was in a similar situation, but with my boyfriend, not my friends. i believe his exact quote was "if you come over here wearing a sorority shirt what will my friends say?" so i didn't join my freshmen year but i was able to see what all the sororities were like from an outsiders point of view, what my school had to offer outside of greek life, and i still wanted to join.

so i think rushing after a year of being in school could actually help if you think of it that way. you're not just joining because of what you think greek life will offer you, but because you really want to.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm also agreeing that you should leave the "none of my friends did" out of it.

BAAAAAH.

Not the image you want.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM

That sheep is freaking adorable.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
That sheep is freaking adorable.
I know, right? But he's still not getting a bid.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I know, right? But he's still not getting a bid.
Well yeah, because he's a boy
Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I realize that my friends not rushing was a pretty dumb reason for not doing it myself (and I did have other reasons, that was just a big part of it). I'm sure I can avoid mentioning that while still being honest, I had just wanted to know if that reason would be looked down upon. From many of the responses I see that it could be, so thank you for letting me know...I wouldn't want to look like a sheep! haha

Thanks again.
Any other advice would be much appreciated, as I am a bit anxious (and very excited!)

Also, this question may have been answered in a previous thread, but the recruitment attire is supposed to be casual all days except for pref round, and I'm not exactly sure what that would include. Do you think jeans and a nice top would be appropriate, or should I try to stay away from jeans?

Sorry for yet another long post!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:02 AM

I would go more with business casual on the casual days and stay away from jeans but that is just me.

Ultimately though, I would ask your recruitment counselor what the norms are on your campus for attire each day. Different people have different opinions of what "casual" is.